NV S. Leonardo "60" Very Old White Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Thomas V

NV S. Leonardo "60" Very Old White Port

Post by Thomas V »

Bottled in 2017

Decanted 2 hours prior to tasting and served at 12 degrees Celsius. The room temperature in the room was very high due to the sun. This increased wine temperature rapidly and may have influenced the finale grade.

Powder sugar, brown sugar and figs. Excellent viscosity and almost no alcohol present. Slight warmth and good acidity. Very underplayed and elegant. The sugar is not dominating and the taste keeps swirling around in the mouth and up the inside of the cheeks. Extremely harmonized and in absolute balance. Later dragon fruit. In a class of its own. WOTN for me.

97 points.
Last edited by Thomas V on Tue May 09, 2017 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: S. Leonardo "60" Very Old White Port

Post by Glenn E. »

A stunning Port. I'm an outlier when it comes to white Ports - I actually enjoy them warmer than most people. 12 C is too chilled for me, but I don't mind when they're served that cold because they'll eventually warm up to where I enjoy them at closer to 16-17 C. I find that both the nose and the mid palate are more expressive in that range.
Glenn Elliott
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Glenn E. wrote:A stunning Port. I'm an outlier when it comes to white Ports - I actually enjoy them warmer than most people. 12 C is too chilled for me, but I don't mind when they're served that cold because they'll eventually warm up to where I enjoy them at closer to 16-17 C. I find that both the nose and the mid palate are more expressive in that range.
The fragrance and scent I would agree with you becomes deeper and more enticing with an increase in temperature. 12C is fairly chilled but if I drink the glass with lets say 4-5 cl it will for sure climb those 4-5 degrees within 10-15 minutes at room temperature. So I am fairly sure we are in agreement.

This is just spectacular. Top 5 port I've tasted so far in my somewhat short "port" life. Wont be the last it taste this.
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Thomas,
Agree with your note completely.
I also like it a tad better than the normal 60 year old.
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Eric Ifune wrote:Thomas,
Agree with your note completely.
I also like it a tad better than the normal 60 year old.
Cheers Eric.

Hope we get to share a white port sometime in the future. Would be my pleasure.