1964 Krohn White Colheita Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

1964 Krohn White Colheita Port

Post by Glenn E. »

This is an older bottle that I probably purchased when first stocking up on birth-year Ports. It was bottled in 2007. I probably bought it in 2008 or 2009 and I have 3 of them left. I now also have about a dozen 2008 bottlings, most of which came from Premier Cru. So far my experience has been similar for the two bottlings.

1964 Krohn Colheita Branco
bottled in 2007

Color: Light tan/tawny blend. Depending on the light it can look a bit flat, as the tan coloration seems to mute the highlights a bit. It looks a bit like a medium-brewed tea.

Nose: Fairly soft, but pleasant. Some dried apricot, but it's lighter than from a tawny, along with some faint tropical fruits and some lime. Also maybe some orange blossom?

Palate: Very soft entry, very smooth and elegant. Seems a little lacking in acidity - the sweetness seems out of balance. Strong impression of powdered sugar with very high-toned and light vanilla. Faint golden raisin and maybe pear. Creamy texture in the mouth. Very easy to drink.

Score: 91 points. These have started fading over the last couple of years, so I suspect they've been bottled too long. You can perk one up nicely by adding 2-3 drops of lemon juice to your glass, though of course that does also slightly alter the flavor.
Glenn Elliott