1997 Niepoort Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Opened for the June 2009 Virtual Tasting

Decanted and served immediately at 8:00 pm on 6/27/2009
The cork was quite long, but nearly soaked through. One small section appeared to have soaked all the way to the top, which is probably the reason for the very slight signs of seepage.
A fair amount of sediment for a 12-yr old Port, but it was easily held back in the last 2 or so ounces in the bottle.

Color: while being decanted, a deep garnet with some brick red-like tones. No brown/tawny, though, so not the "bad" bricking. In the glass it takes on a more purple hue, though it is still more red near the rim.
Nose: floral notes and aromatic alcohol lead off, followed by ripe red raspberries, blackberries, some dusty minerals, and a hint of smoke.
Palate: that same floral note becomes a flavor, followed by strong blackberries and ripe strawberries. A hint of mocha follows, then rich heat and smooth but firm tannins round out the experience.
Finish: more heat, more blackberries, some coffee (or possibly smoke), and eventually some grape skin. The finish is long and smooth.

This is difficult to score since I've been drinking so many 2007 cask samples lately, but it is clear to me that it is very good. The heat in this case is a plus because it is so rich and gentle. The fruit is quite strong but not overpowering. The tannins are firm but also not overpowering. I'll call it 95 points. Don't drink now even though it is very good as-is. Give it another 10 years before re-testing.
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: 1997 Niepoort Vintage Port

Post by Roy Hersh »

This is one that in my viewpoint, drinks so nicely young, that I would not suggest to folks to avoid drinking this one now. Of course like any 12 year old VP, it is going to get significantly better. That said, I like the Niepoort and see no reason why this shouldn't be enjoyed or at least explored, especially if you own more than a couple of bottles.

BTW, what is "rich heat" from the TN? Not sure I understand this pairing of descriptors.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: 1997 Niepoort Vintage Port

Post by Glenn E. »

This was even better last night (D+24 hours) as the flavors had mellowed just a little bit. It was difficult, but I managed to leave about 2 servings for tonight. :D

The "rich heat" was one of those impressions I get sometimes that I just can't describe. It was a pleasant level of heat from the alcohol that simultaneously seemed to give a boost of richness to the lingering fruits in the mouth. It was still doing it last night, too, but to a lesser degree. It was almost as if the Port was actually warm and giving of additional aromas and flavors in the back of my mouth. Imagine heating it gently on a stove and smelling/tasting the rising aromas. It was a very nice effect, and something that I don't recall ever noticing before in any other port.
Glenn Elliott