1996 Kopke LBV Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Eric Menchen

1996 Kopke LBV Port

Post by Eric Menchen »

This is from a half bottle, bottled in 2002. Filtered and poured into a half decanter and sampled immediately. Bottle cleaned of sediment for later storage.

Color is rust red to amber, and this is suitably clear. A bit of alcohol on the aroma, perhaps VA according to some. I am reminded of a cough syrup and cherry Sucrets, but it isn't as strong as either. There is a faint aroma of fig. In the mouth this is thin. It isn't uncomfortably hot, but the alcohol dominates and makes me think more of drinking (thin?) brandy than Port. The first few sips had a surprisingly long finish given my other weak impressions. Some nice acid on the tongue. I keep drinking it to find more, so it isn't bad, but nothing to write home about either.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: 1996 Kopke LBV

Post by Andy Velebil »

I've drunk many of these 1/2 bottles and they have all been just as you describe. These are fully ready to drink, if not past their best days, so drink up if you got them.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com