2000 Quinta do Portal LBV Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Eric Menchen

2000 Quinta do Portal LBV Port

Post by Eric Menchen »

I took this over to share with some friends on 2 Jan 10, and didn't take detailed notes. These are my impressions from memory.

Bottled in 2005. Pop and poured. As I recall this had a pretty deep color. Aroma showed a hint of eucalyptus. There was plenty of fruit and a nice little bit of tannin in the mouth. I think the finish was fine as I don't recall it being clipped, but I can't say if it was medium or long. Nice integration of the alcohol. A little on the sweeter side compared to the the Kopke 1996 LBV I'm sipping now, but not as much as a Graham's. Overall this was a real pleasant bottle, enjoyed by all present; not overly complex but a very nice LBV.

Barely two pours remained in the bottle which was stoppered and left out at room temperature overnight. I returned the next day and sampled again. The previously prominent fruit had faded significantly and alcohol jumped out. This was still drinkable, but no where near as nice as the previous evening. Hmmmm ...
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: 2000 Quinta do Portal LBV

Post by Roy Hersh »

I really enjoyed this one Eric as Portal does not get enough credit for their LBVs but does a solid job vintage after vintage. I appreciate the note AFAIK they always make an unfiltered LBV.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Re: 2000 Quinta do Portal LBV

Post by Eric Menchen »

I opened another one of these last night. More fruit and tannin than I remembered from the first bottle. I would put it a hair above the Kopke 2000 LBV. That one might have a a little more subtlety to it. This one is bigger. 91 points.