2000 Kopke LBV Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Eric Menchen

2000 Kopke LBV Port

Post by Eric Menchen »

Decanted from a full bottle (bottled 2006), and sniffed to find deep aromas of figs and raisins.

D+4 hours: Served with a meal and dessert, I didn't take notes. A very nice drink, however. Plenty of fruit, tannin, and a little bit of acid. Alcohol was warm in the throat, but nice, not overwhelming. I later thought there was a hint of cinnamon in there.

After the meal, about D+6 or so, I poured back into the rinsed out bottle and vacu-vinned it; left out at room temperature overnight.

D+26 hours: Now for a closer look. Deep color, I think more so than last night, but I wasn't inspecting closely then. A touch of red/magenta, but most just dark. In the aroma I thought I detected a hint of chocolate along with currants, probably black currants. In the mouth, more currant and blackberry jam. Nice body with stick, but not too syrupy. Tannins and acid are still there. Warmth seems a little less than yesterday. Medium finish. Later some dried leaf aroma.

This is head and shoulders above the half bottles of 1996 Kopke LBV I've had, and I think it had more going for it than 2000 Fonseca LBV I had last year. I'd have to drink side by side to determine if it is better than 2000 Quinta do Portal LBV. Overall, really nice; and now I'm going to try it with some cheeses.
kopke2000LBV.jpg
kopke2000LBV.jpg (71.87 KiB) Viewed 673 times
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: 2000 Kopke LBV

Post by Roy Hersh »

For the sake of these being entered into the TNDB, it would be great if you could give it some kind of score. I realize you might not be fully comfortable in doing so, but it is just a data point that will help others and provides us with solid averages when posted there. Thanks. [cheers.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

I knew the scoring police were going to come after me some time. [beg.gif]
I was thinking this might be somewhere in the 88-91 point range, and to pick one number I'll go with 90.
The 2000 Fonseca LBV I had last year was probably 88 or 89.
The 1996 Kopke LBV was lower, probably 84-86.
At the moment I'll guess 91 for the 2000 Quinta do Portal LBV, but I'd really like to taste it again, and side-by-side with this Kopke if possible. Luckily I still have some of both left, so maybe that will happen.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Eric,

Side-by-side comparisons of Port are some of the most educational palate pleasers you can do. Great way to learn, compare and contrast. :thumbsup:

As to your comment:
I knew the scoring police were going to come after me some time. [beg.gif]

Hey, I thought that if it could work on Glenn ... you'd be my next victim! 8--) And now that you've lost your virginity :oops: ... scores will be expected from now on! [yahoo.gif]

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Beware the taskmaster! :beat:

I picked up a bottle of this LBV today to open for the January Virtual Tasting... I should have checked to confirm what had already been opened first. Luckily I also picked up a 1995 Smith Woodhouse LBV so I'll just open that instead! :winepour:
Glenn Elliott