1985 Burmester Vintage Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Eric Menchen

1985 Burmester Vintage Port

Post by Eric Menchen »

Decanted at 12:30 for a serving after dinner with a dessert around 9-9:30, and subsequently sampled.

D+9: Just impression here as I didn't take notes. A little hot aroma, but not overwhelmingly so or VA. Without swirling this was fine, and the aroma was nice. Good fruit in the mouth, and I thought of blueberry. The alcohol settled back to a comfortable position. Nice finish.

The remains were poured into a half bottle which was vacu-vinned and left out at room temperature. I just poured and with no guests and dessert which can wait a few moments, now I will give a more thorough examination.

D+32: Red brown with a fair amount of bricking; not crystal clear, but a slight haze. Alcohol is still there in the aroma, but when swirled it is even less noticeable than last night. If I take a very strong whiff I get slight medicinal alcohol, but also then some dried fruit I hadn't noticed before, and some leather. Some red fruit, faintly cherry shows up too. Nice body, more cherry that sticks around through the finish. A little menthol in the mouth and finish too.

This was one of my favorite 1985s at the first :ftlop: Gala, in the top two out of eight 1985s (along with SW, v. Dow, Fonseca, Graham, Martinez, Offley, and Warre), so I decided to seek some out. This bottle didn't wow me much as that one, but on the second night it is impressing me more than last night. At the moment I'll give it 92 points.
Eric Menchen

Re: 1985 Burmester Vintage Port

Post by Eric Menchen »

By the fourth day the fruits have shifted a little to the drier part of the spectrum. The heat is still there, and now too strong for the fruit, but not so much as to prevent me from finishing off the bottle. (Skipped tasting on day 3 as per Glenn's tradition :P)