1986 Smith Woodhouse Colheita Port

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

1986 Smith Woodhouse Colheita Port

Post by Glenn E. »

I opened this bottle for contrast after the first night (of four) with my recent round of 2007 Vintage Ports. Overall, this bottle showed much nicer than the first, which probably means that a 3-4 hour decant is necessary for best showing since the two bottles came from the same store. (The first bottle was a pop-n-pour.)

1986 Smith Woodhouse Colheita
Bottled in 2006.

Color: Medium dark tawny with some red left. The red almost shows more as orange than a deep Port-like red.
Nose: Some varnish, some orange, and some late soft vanilla. Mildly madeirized. Recently cut (i.e. wet) oak.
Palate: Soft oak, toasted brown sugar, citrus, and a light confectioner's sugar note. Candied dried apricots. Very pleasantly drinkable. A tiny bit warm.
Finish: Slightly tart to start, but fades rapidly into brown sugar and oak with citrus and dried apricot overtones. Decent length - about 30 seconds.

Score: 92 points. Close in quality to the three 2007s, but not quite on par. Some days I would probably prefer this, other days I'd go for the VPs. I can think of several VPs and LBVs that I've rated in the 90-91 range, and in most cases I think I'd prefer to drink another glass of this.
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: 1986 Smith Woodhouse Colheita

Post by Roy Hersh »

I enjoyed this and it showed nice evolved flavors for such a young Colheita. Thanks for sharing! [cheers.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Re: 1986 Smith Woodhouse Colheita Port

Post by Moses Botbol »

I can’t get enough of this port. I just totally adore it. A friend has a case and he is down to the last couple of bottles. This is the Colheita I have had the most of. Just so sweet and sublime, if their newer Colheita is anything like this, buy all you can.

The ’86 has wonderful sweetness with just a tad of acid. Nice vanilla and orange. Wow! It is a crowd pleaser and just outstanding. May not be the most complex, but it is so difficult to say no to.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

And the jury requests: please insert your score Mr. Botbol [cheers.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Lamont Huxley

Post by Lamont Huxley »

I drank a bottle of this colheita about 2 years ago and loved it. This was my note on it:

Mostly tawny, but not completely, still showing a little bit of red in its burnt orange hue with a honey colored rim. The nose is generous and complex, the dominant character being something like cherry-vanilla and kola nuts with secondary notes of orange marmalade, sandalwood, apple pie, and spices. Quite rich and sweet on the palate, though not cloying at all, with a mildly viscous texture. I found the flavors redolent of caramelized walnuts, candied apples, a touch of raspberry fruit still way in the background, and a compliment of spicy cinnamon. A fresh acidity kicks in on the back end of the palate, cutting the sweetness and balancing everything out. The finish is smooth and very persistent with the wine still coating the mouth and the flavors still lingering long after swallowing. Delicious colheita – rich but well balanced - I would certainly recommend it if you can find it. Tasted 5/08, 93pts
The Port Maverick
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Roy Hersh wrote:And the jury requests: please insert your score Mr. Botbol [cheers.gif]
Same as Lamont Huxley, 93 points.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

As David mentioned in another thread ... If you are not the primary thread starter, and place a TN below someone else's in response to theirs ... your note will not be registered into the TNDB. You can keep your TN there anyway, but please do start a new thread for your TN as it will then be counted and preserved. When MY TN's is released for the :ftlop: TNDB which will provide you with a one click look at all of your own TNs. So I urge you (Moses in this case) to take your note AND your score and post it separately. :thanks: