20 Year Old Tawny Port by Ramos Pinto

This forum is for users to post their Port tasting notes.

Moderators: Glenn E., Andy Velebil

Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

20 Year Old Tawny Port by Ramos Pinto

Post by Glenn E. »

Opened for the February 2010 Virtual Tasting

This was my last bottle of 6 that I ordered in late 2008 and have been slowly rationing since then. I first tasted the Ramos Pinto 20-year old at the Solar do Vinho do Porto in Porto and it has been my favorite 20-year old ever since.

Ramos Pinto 20 Year Old Tawny Port

Color: Medium tawny with a few red notes as well as a medium tan/brown tone. The red is primarily visible as highlights, with the overall color tone in the glass being more orange/tawny than red/brown.

Nose: Tangy dried apricots, something grain-like, light toned vanilla, dry oak (i.e. not green), a good amount of alcohol, and a medium rich sweetness similar to cotton candy that's been turned down a couple of notches in tone. Caramelized cotton candy, maybe?

Palate: An initially smooth entry is backed up by a good tart flavor and finished off with a nearly-there bite. Some toffee, some carrot cake. Good acidity.

Finish: This bottle seems shorter... perhaps the time in bottle is starting to reach that downhill slope where it will hide for a few years before resurfacing. Some citrus, some very dried apricots, and possibly some blood orange. I get the impression of tannins, though that seems unlikely, and near the end of the tail there's a nice splash of sour apples. Decent heat, but could be better.

Score: 92 points. I've had better bottles of the Ramos Pinto 20-year old, but this one is still very good. It out-performs a couple of 40-year olds in my book, and is easily the equal of the Ferreira Duque de Braganca to me.
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: NV Ramos Pinto 20 Year Old Tawny Port

Post by Andy Velebil »

I haven't had this one in a long time. Looks like I'll need to change that sometime soon.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

My guess is that you won't like it as much as I do. It's on the opposite side of the Ferreira from the Sandeman, and to me the three display a pretty even progression of acidity. I'm not fond of the Sandeman at all due to its excessive (to me) acidity, and I find the Ferreira to be right on the edge.

On the other side of the Ramos Pinto is the Taylor, which usually seems a bit lacking in acidity to me but is a very nice and elegant 20-year old.

As I recall, you're more on Roy's side of the acidity scale, so you might end up thinking that the Ramos Pinto is lacking in that regard. Still probably worth a try though!
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Good to know. I am an acidity whore when it comes to aged tawny's, so you know me well [notworthy.gif]
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com