JOãO NICOLAU DE ALMEIDA - November's Guest Corner Host

Join in on discussions with winemakers and other personalities in the Port, Madeira and Douro Wine trades.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh

Joao Nicolau

Re: João Nicolau de Almeida - November's Guest Corner Host

Post by Joao Nicolau »

Hi kris

Thank you. At this place, I can't have access to the information you are asking me - the shops where you can by Ramos Pinto wines in Seattle - but I'll let you know this later.

All the best
João
Last edited by Joao Nicolau on Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joao Nicolau

Post by Joao Nicolau »

Hi Al

I totally understand your preference for the 40-80 year old Vintage Port.
Your question is quite difficult to answer. As I've told you before in Port Tasting (like most of other wines) we need lot of experience for tasting. As the Port is a long ageing wine we still have to have more practice to judge a capacity of the wine to age.
We basically know that the wine to age should be intense in color, even opaque, but must also have a full fruity mouth, a good portion of good tannins and a long finish. However that's not all. We also have to concentrate in the intrinsical quality of the wine for ageing in good conditions.
Generally if the wine is born rustic and brutal, it will continue like this forever. If the wine is born full of character, well balanced, with complexity this one will age in nice conditions. There are no miracles!!! (Only sometimes!!)

All the best
João
Joao Nicolau

Post by Joao Nicolau »

Hi everyone!

Thank you all for your questions. I must say I was very pleased to know that Port Wine raises so much interest and curiosity among people, which is excellent and motivates the ones who are breaking those Stone Mountains - we all work for a good cause and happily our wines are appreciated!

I hope we'll continue discovering new things from this marvelous region. Like the famous professor of viticulture, Denis Boubals, said: "this is an heroic viticulture".

Cheers to all of you from a Port Maker and Lover! [cheers.gif]

If there are any more questions please feel free post them! Till then, I wish you all a Sunday full of Port and a special thanks to Roy who offered us the chance of developing such an interesting conversation in this forum where all Port Lovers meet! :salute:

Cheers
João
Joao Nicolau

Post by Joao Nicolau »

Hi Glenn

In fact your question is very pertinent. In my opinion the LBV or the Vintage made with white grapes will probably give very good wines with an ageing potential and they may be able to evolve towards sophistication. My problem is the confusion that this will create on the consumer's mind. The vintage has a very high connotation and if we start making many kinds of vintages probably the "regular vintage" will suffer in the market.
Currently this is not allowed!

All the best
João
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Dear João,

Your presence here during the last week has been enlightening and we truly appreciate the time and heart you've poured into sharing your wisdom with us. [cheers.gif]

On behalf of FTLOP and all participants and those that just stopped by to read and learn, muito obrigado. [notworthy.gif]

Roy
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com