JAMES SUCKLING

Join in on discussions with winemakers and other personalities in the Port, Madeira and Douro Wine trades.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh

Bob bman

Re: JAMES SUCKLING

Post by Bob bman »

Frederic - did you used to live in Gatineau?
James Suckling

Post by James Suckling »

I have been tasting VP cask samples since the late 1980s. I always look for concentration, length and tannic "grip." I learned about tasting barrel samples from the two Guimareans brothers -- Gordon and the late Bruce.

I usually taste them blind. I get the samples sent to my office in Italy, or better, I got to Porto and taste them -- usually at the Factory House.
Roy Hersh wrote:Hi James,

I wanted to wait a few days to allow others to have a chance to pose their questions before taking up any of your time for one of my own questions.

In assessing young cask samples from the latest and greatest crop of Vintage Ports, what characteristics do you look for.

Also, would you please explain your regimen in tasting these cask samples? For example where do you do them, are they done blind, how many do you do at a time, how long do you spend with each sample? ... etc.

Thanks for taking your time to answer all of the great questions this week, I am sure everyone here is most appreciative. [cheers.gif]
James Suckling

Post by James Suckling »

Hey Bob.

Let me try to answer your questions:

I think you are right about the 1945 Croft and I still have three bottles in my cellar! [cheers.gif]

I agree that half bottles and single quintas age more quickly but I still remember drinking a number of 1935 Sandemans from halves and they were amazing.

I didn't think much of Sandeman after 1967. And in the 1980s Seagram really destroyed the quality of Sandeman. But I think the quality is coming back now.

I tend to drink VP on it's own or with a cigar. But sometimes I love Stilton or Serra cheese.

I seem to be going to Canada a lot these days. I guess I am going back to my roots. My grandparents were Canadians from Winnepeg. They went on the honeymoon to Los Angeles in 1945 and never went back to Canada!

I have heard that about Tesh...works in LA for reservations.... 8--)

Bob bman wrote:James, a few odds and ends questions:

-if you had to pick a last meal port, just from post-war options, what would you pick? I'm betting 45 Croft is your pick or would at least be on your short list

-do you agree with some that half bottles and single quintas mature more quickly than bigger bottles and traditional vp?

-I'm surprised that 83 Sandeman was not on your list of favourite Sandemans - any particular reason?

-aside from traditional dark chocolate and unsalted nuts, what else do you much on with your ports? Or do you prefer to munch nothing?

-now that you've been to Montreal numerous times, how about a trip to Ottawa?!! (after August 2012 pls, I'm in Guatemala until then)

Finally, have you forgiven me for saying years ago on WS that a picture of you looked like John Tesh???
James Suckling

Post by James Suckling »

I am pretty close on that

Graham
Quarles Harris
Croft
Warre
Fonseca
Taylor
Vesuvio
Gould
Dow
Smith
Bob bman wrote:Sorry James, one more: how would you rank the following ports by order of sweetness?

Graham
Croft
Gould Campbell, Quarles Harris, Smith Woodhouse, aka "The Twins"
Fonseca
Warre
Vesuvio
Taylor
Dow

This is more or less how I would rank them but I have no more than a few bottles worth of experience with some so would appreciate your comments.
James Suckling

Post by James Suckling »

Salut Frederick

I totally agree with you, but VP is not promoted very well anywhere.

I wil say hi to Jessica for you...

Amities

James
Frederick Blais wrote:Hi James,

I can't say I've been a big follower of the Wine Spectator but I can't deny the impact of your reviews(and top 100 wines listing) on Vintage Port 94, Super Toscans 97, Chateau Neuf Du Pape and the way the sales and the price rises. While Chateau Neuf and Toscan wines are still hitting new peaks in demand and prices each year, why is Vintage Port demand declining in market that used to be so strong.

A connected question... Did the SAQ presented to you any Vintage Port to taste when you came to Quebec to review wines for your joint venture marketing operations? I ask this because I wounder if you feel that the lack of promotion for these products from the press and the SAQ especially in Quebec could explain the fall of this product in one of the best market for it.

Lucky boy to work with Jessica :)

Au plaisir de te lire!
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

James,

Thanks so much for your responses to my question and several others here from Thurs./Fri.

I know you must have overlooked them, but there were about five people who wrote questions towards the very end of page 3, after your replies from Thursday. If you have the chance, would you please double back and respond to them.

Much appreciated! [cheers.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I apologize to all FTLOP'ers and especially the individuals who took the time to post their questions, and not receive proper responses. [notworthy.gif]

With three "no shows" out of the seven days that James Suckling committed to, I am speechless.

This thread is now closed.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com