JAMES SUCKLING

Join in on discussions with winemakers and other personalities in the Port, Madeira and Douro Wine trades.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh

James Suckling

Re: JAMES SUCKLING

Post by James Suckling »

Good question. I haven't thought about this in years! I was a real Anglophile in my 20s. I used to drive a TR6 in LA. I loved all things English. Hell, my name is about as English as you get. Catherine Suckling was the mother of Lord Nelson. So, of course, I got into vintage Port. I remember the first time I went to Portugal and the Douro in 1985. I feel in love with the place. That epiphany bottle most of been 1955 Dow that I drank in San Francisco in 1983 at the Wine Spectator's office with James Symington. Hope I have the dates right on the visit. Thanks for making me think of that. I feel all warm inside like I just had a sip of that soft, silky and sexy wine.

It makes me remember a time when I was in the Symington's office in London in 1988 and I was living in London then. I was having a lunch with their team there and I was served a decanter of VP. I had just married my second wife, a lovely English woman. And I tasted it and said "1955 Dow." Tim Stanley Clarke looked at me and said: "This isn't right. First this American steals our most beautiful women and now he gets the Port right!" He was only joking but it makes me smile even today. :D

Kurt Wieneke wrote:Hi James,
Thank you for getting in the ring with us at FTLOP. How did you get introduced to port, and what was your epiphany bottle that got you hooked?

Rgds,
Kurt Wieneke
James Suckling

Post by James Suckling »

Thanks Jeffrey

I have always preferred Vintage Port because I prefer its fresh fruit character over the slightly cooked character of Madeira. But I remember some great moments drinking old Madeiras in my life. I think I answered why I feel in love with Port already. But Port is passion...that's for sure.

Thanks again for your comments on my book!
Jeffrey Karp wrote:Hi James,

Welcome to the Forum! We are honored to have you here and very much hope that you will stick around a while and nourish us with your insight and experience into all things Port.

Every now and again, like others have mentioned prior to my post, I refer back to your monumental work, Vintage Port. Back when I was new to Port and trying to learn as much as possible about all things Port, your book proved extraordinarily educational and helpful. Thank you. As a side note, and thanks to your book, most of us now know more about Port than even Roy! :thumbsup: [rotfl.gif]

Will you please share with us your preference: Vintage Port or Madeira? I prefer VP but many others on this forum, including our fearless leader, prefer Madeira.

Will you please share with us what it is about either or both that ignited your inner-passion such that you worked as hard as you did to dedicate your life to the fortified wines of Portugal and then go onto become one of the world's foremost experts? I know that mine is a somewhat personal and non-specific question, but to me and to my wife, Port is all about the passion, right?

Warm Regards.

Jeffrey Karp
James Suckling

Post by James Suckling »

Good point. Don't know. I don't own a cigar magazine nor do I work for one now. :wink:

I have my own website: www.jamessuckling.com

And I am the wine editor for Asia Tatler in Hong Kong and the rest of Asia.

Moses Botbol wrote:James:

Why isn’t Madeira touted in Cigar magazines when it’s a much better pairing than port? Even if it is not as traditional as port, isn’t a part of what a Cigar magazine does is to educate and give insight?
James Suckling

Post by James Suckling »

Speaking of my website. I would like to offer everyone at fortheloveofport.com a 20% discount on a monthly subscription to my site: www.jamessuckling.com. That's $11.99 a month.

Here is the code if you are interest: PORT2011. The offer is good until May 6.

Anyway, check out the site. I am sure you will enjoy the tasting reports, blogs and HD videos, which are posted daily.
michaelgor
Location: Bellevue, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by michaelgor »

James Suckling wrote:I always thought that Fonseca was masculine and Taylor feminine. It's the same with wine. Feminine refers to a wine that is balanced and refined with elegance. Doesn't matter if it is Port or table wine.
michaelgor wrote:Hi Mr Suckling..

I have often heard comments about a Port being “masculine”, or, for example, Fonseca, being described as “feminine”..
any thoughts on this please, and perhaps some examples of either..

Michael
I guess Roy must think this as well, which his why he named his daughter Taylor instead of Fonseca :roll:
Michael
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

-Who are your favorite VP and Tawny producers?

-What port products would you like to see come to market?

-What are your favorite standard production Habanos and which cigars do you find least affected by blend changes over the last decade?
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
James Suckling

Post by James Suckling »

VP -- Fonseca and Dow
Tawny: Niepoort

I think it would be fun to have real crusted Port again...

Best current production for me from Cuba at the moment is Hoyo Epi No. 2 and Trinidad Robusto T.

All Cuban cigars were affected by workmanship and poor tobacco at the end of 1990s. But I think Cuba is making great cigars again.
Rune EG

Post by Rune EG »

Hello James!
Purchased your book early 90s and for many years it was my basic library of port wine.
If you make a follow up of that book, I will buy it!

Being a European, I am reading quite a few tasting notes scores of Port and table wines from various European wine journalists. My general impression (no scientific basis, but many years of reading), is that U.S. journalists incl. yourselves are giving higher scores than in Europe for the identical products. Especially in using the scores 90+, it seems for me that such level is more widely used in U.S. than in Europe.

Do you agree such statement, and if so, why has it ended up like that?
Paul Fountain

Post by Paul Fountain »

A few more questions from me

Are there years where, based on the quality of the single quinta offerings, you felt might have warranted a general declaration? Conversely are there general declarations that you think have as a whole under performed?

What are the vintages, where your current opinion of the year has differed the most from from your intital opinion and why?

You've listed the Fonseca and Dow as your favorite VPs and the Niepoort for tawny as your favorites. Have your stylistic preferences changed over the years? If so, How?

cheers

Paul
James Suckling

Post by James Suckling »

Hey!! Love your country! I have to get there soon.

I think that some people don't have the confidence to use the 100-point to its fullest. I give 100s but also 65s. Perhaps they don't have the experience. I have been doing this gig for 30 years coming December 13.

Rune EG wrote:Hello James!
Purchased your book early 90s and for many years it was my basic library of port wine.
If you make a follow up of that book, I will buy it!

Being a European, I am reading quite a few tasting notes scores of Port and table wines from various European wine journalists. My general impression (no scientific basis, but many years of reading), is that U.S. journalists incl. yourselves are giving higher scores than in Europe for the identical products. Especially in using the scores 90+, it seems for me that such level is more widely used in U.S. than in Europe.

Do you agree such statement, and if so, why has it ended up like that?
James Suckling

Post by James Suckling »

Cool questions.

I am a big fan of 1987. That could have been declared. Can't think of other ones. May be 1995 as well.

I think that 1960 turned out to be so much better than I thought. I love them now. May be 1991 was less good.

I have always like sublet slightly drier VPs...so my taste hasn't change.
Paul Fountain wrote:A few more questions from me

Are there years where, based on the quality of the single quinta offerings, you felt might have warranted a general declaration? Conversely are there general declarations that you think have as a whole under performed?

What are the vintages, where your current opinion of the year has differed the most from from your intital opinion and why?

You've listed the Fonseca and Dow as your favorite VPs and the Niepoort for tawny as your favorites. Have your stylistic preferences changed over the years? If so, How?

cheers

Paul
Kurt Wieneke

Post by Kurt Wieneke »

Hi James,
A couple more questions: Can you please elaborate on your assessment of the 1997 vs. 1994 vintages? Does Geddy Lee like port?
Mitch H

Post by Mitch H »

Hi James,

Loved your book from circa 1990. It seems like some retailers and even the Port shippers are still using those tasting notes which are now 21 years old or more and wonder what you think about that?
Blair Curtis

Post by Blair Curtis »

Hello James,

Thanks for taking the time to answer questions.

Here's mine: is there any one VP that stands out in your mind as one that you feel your peers have under-rated...that is to say one that you enjoy significantly more than other Port writers you have read?

Cheers,
Blair
Cheers, B.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

What are your favorite vintage for the following and why:

Dow
Niepoort
Taylor
Croft
Warre
Sandeman
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Brian C.

Post by Brian C. »

James, so cool of you to do this.

I hope I'm within the boundaries of the format here, but I'd really like to ask you about Portuguese table wines.

1) What kind of future do you see for Portuguese table wine? As the industry matures, what kind of status will Portuguese table wines ultimately achieve? In the meantime, if one doesn't live in the Northeastern part of the US, the learning curve can be somewhat challenging. Here in Chicago, there aren't a lot of different bottles available at any given time. It would be nice to see more shops carrying a bigger selection, but I don't see it happening anytime soon, unfortunately. What would it take for that situation to change?

2) What are your favorite regions, varietals (or blends), and producers of Portuguese table wines? Do you see any emerging trends, regions, or varietals that we should be paying attention to?

Thank you again for taking the time to come here and answer our questions.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Hi James,

Thanks for the special offer for all :ftlop: members!

My next question is regarding Port regulations. Obviously the Port industry is very heavily regulated, probably one of the most heavily regulated around. of course a lot of this came about due to shenanigans well over 100 years ago. In this day and age do you think it's time to loosen some of those regulations? If so, what regulations do you think should be eased or eliminated?

In line with the last question, Port producers pay a special tax to the IVDP that is specifically earmarked for publicity. Last I heard there was a huge "war chest" of money that had built up and wasn't being used. What do you think could be done to force the IVDP and other orgaizations that receive that money from the tax Port producers pay to do more to promote Port?
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Adam N

Post by Adam N »

James,

Thank you very much for your participation on the forum.

I've been spoiled by being introduced to some great Ports early in my wine explorations who now is our esteemed host (yeah, that's you, Roy!). Once you've had the 1970 and 1977 Taylor and Fonseca side by side, it's hard to be satisfied with a lowly LBV. I would, however, like to find a good value, perhaps among some of the new producers out there. I realize you may be drinking 66 Nacional on a weekly basis, but what is you're go-to Port for a non-occasion? Something you'd open for your mother-in-law, for instance.

Many thanks,
Adam
jason domanico

Post by jason domanico »

James, thanks for taking our questions.

Lately I have struggled picking stemware I like for my vintage ports and have gone with my default Riedel Zinfandel. What is your favorite stemware for vintage port?

Thanks

Jason
Richard Jennings
Location: Mountain View, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Richard Jennings »

Welcome to FTLOP!

You've mentioned that special moment with a '55 Dow. Have there been other epiphany or memorable moments with particular Ports in the 20 years or so since your book was published that come to mind? And what are your favorite '94 VPs?