JAMES SUCKLING

Join in on discussions with winemakers and other personalities in the Port, Madeira and Douro Wine trades.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh

Chris Pfaff

Re: JAMES SUCKLING

Post by Chris Pfaff »

Dear Mr. Suckling,

1) what do you think about the Vintage 1977 after more than 30years in bottle? I´ve tasted most of this vintage ports during the last two years and became convinced, that this actually now the most overrated and overpriced vintage from the so called "great years".

2) whats your taste from Colheita Ports, more the younger ones (15-30 years in cask) oder more the older ones (more than 40years in cask)? And what is your suggestion for a the maximum stroring durability for a Colheita Port? (maybe one from 1982 and one from 1952, who is now bottled)

Greatings from Germany

Chris Pfaff
http://www.passion-port.de
James Suckling

Post by James Suckling »

Thank you. I think it is amazing that many of the wines have not changed that much. That's the power of Port! [cheers.gif]

Mitch H wrote:Hi James,

Loved your book from circa 1990. It seems like some retailers and even the Port shippers are still using those tasting notes which are now 21 years old or more and wonder what you think about that?
James Suckling

Post by James Suckling »

I am just taking this off the top of my head. 1994 are racier, more refined VPs while the 1997s are a little fuller and richer. It's like comparing 1963 to 1966.

Geddy drinks any wine that is great...I have had some VP with him. But he his a complete Burgundy freak and knows his stuff.

Kurt Wieneke wrote:Hi James,
A couple more questions: Can you please elaborate on your assessment of the 1997 vs. 1994 vintages? Does Geddy Lee like port?
James Suckling

Post by James Suckling »

My house pour: 1960 Croft.
Blair Curtis wrote:Hello James,

Thanks for taking the time to answer questions.

Here's mine: is there any one VP that stands out in your mind as one that you feel your peers have under-rated...that is to say one that you enjoy significantly more than other Port writers you have read?

Cheers,
Blair
James Suckling

Post by James Suckling »

Do I have to tell you why? I am going off the top of my head here.

Dow: 1955, 1963, 1966, 1970, 1994, 2000

Niepoort: 1927, 1945, 1963, 1997...

Taylor: 1994, 1955, 1963, 1985, 1977

Croft: 1927, 1945, 1950, 1960, 1963, and 1997

Warre: all declared years but 1975

Sandeman: 1945, 1958, 1963, 1967
Moses Botbol wrote:What are your favorite vintage for the following and why:

Dow
Niepoort
Taylor
Croft
Warre
Sandeman
James Suckling

Post by James Suckling »

Hi Brian

There is a huge upside to Portugese table wines as long as the word gets out. I think Douro is leading the way as you well know.

I am into Douro...

Brian C. wrote:James, so cool of you to do this.

I hope I'm within the boundaries of the format here, but I'd really like to ask you about Portuguese table wines.

1) What kind of future do you see for Portuguese table wine? As the industry matures, what kind of status will Portuguese table wines ultimately achieve? In the meantime, if one doesn't live in the Northeastern part of the US, the learning curve can be somewhat challenging. Here in Chicago, there aren't a lot of different bottles available at any given time. It would be nice to see more shops carrying a bigger selection, but I don't see it happening anytime soon, unfortunately. What would it take for that situation to change?

2) What are your favorite regions, varietals (or blends), and producers of Portuguese table wines? Do you see any emerging trends, regions, or varietals that we should be paying attention to?

Thank you again for taking the time to come here and answer our questions.
James Suckling

Post by James Suckling »

I am not sure that the rules for Port work at all...I have always found the whole thing sort of ridiculous.
Andy Velebil wrote:Hi James,

Thanks for the special offer for all :ftlop: members!

My next question is regarding Port regulations. Obviously the Port industry is very heavily regulated, probably one of the most heavily regulated around. of course a lot of this came about due to shenanigans well over 100 years ago. In this day and age do you think it's time to loosen some of those regulations? If so, what regulations do you think should be eased or eliminated?

In line with the last question, Port producers pay a special tax to the IVDP that is specifically earmarked for publicity. Last I heard there was a huge "war chest" of money that had built up and wasn't being used. What do you think could be done to force the IVDP and other orgaizations that receive that money from the tax Port producers pay to do more to promote Port?
James Suckling

Post by James Suckling »

My late mother-in-law had a nice Port cellar herself in England. So we drank the classics from the 1960s on a regular occasion. I am no longer married now...my ex-wife sold most my Port in a Sotheby's sale in 2005 to pay the lawyers... :(

That said, I like to pour things from the 1980s now.

Adam N wrote:James,

Thank you very much for your participation on the forum.

I've been spoiled by being introduced to some great Ports early in my wine explorations who now is our esteemed host (yeah, that's you, Roy!). Once you've had the 1970 and 1977 Taylor and Fonseca side by side, it's hard to be satisfied with a lowly LBV. I would, however, like to find a good value, perhaps among some of the new producers out there. I realize you may be drinking 66 Nacional on a weekly basis, but what is you're go-to Port for a non-occasion? Something you'd open for your mother-in-law, for instance.

Many thanks,
Adam
James Suckling

Post by James Suckling »

I helped design the Riedel Vintage Port glass. So I like that!
jason domanico wrote:James, thanks for taking our questions.

Lately I have struggled picking stemware I like for my vintage ports and have gone with my default Riedel Zinfandel. What is your favorite stemware for vintage port?

Thanks

Jason
James Suckling

Post by James Suckling »

I remember drinking a bottle of 1963 Nacional with Christian Seely at Pichon Baron before I had to go taste 2005 Pichon Lalande from barrel. He thought it would make me badly taste the PL because I was late and focused on the Nacional. It actually put me in a great mood and I tasted the PL wonderfully.... :lol:

I still love the 1994 Fonseca and Taylor.
Richard Jennings wrote:Welcome to FTLOP!

You've mentioned that special moment with a '55 Dow. Have there been other epiphany or memorable moments with particular Ports in the 20 years or so since your book was published that come to mind? And what are your favorite '94 VPs?
James Suckling

Post by James Suckling »

Hi Chris

I could see how you could say that about 1977. But I think that they vintage will turn out wonderfully still. The 1927s, 1947s and1963s had that stage of tightness and restraint. I think they will blossom with more age. It's not always about power in longevity of Vintage Port.

I love Niepoorts Coheitas. So I like all ages but I am more for those with 50 or 60 years of cask age before bottling.
Chris Pfaff wrote:Dear Mr. Suckling,

1) what do you think about the Vintage 1977 after more than 30years in bottle? I´ve tasted most of this vintage ports during the last two years and became convinced, that this actually now the most overrated and overpriced vintage from the so called "great years".

2) whats your taste from Colheita Ports, more the younger ones (15-30 years in cask) oder more the older ones (more than 40years in cask)? And what is your suggestion for a the maximum stroring durability for a Colheita Port? (maybe one from 1982 and one from 1952, who is now bottled)

Greatings from Germany

Chris Pfaff
http://www.passion-port.de
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Hi James,

I wanted to wait a few days to allow others to have a chance to pose their questions before taking up any of your time for one of my own questions.

In assessing young cask samples from the latest and greatest crop of Vintage Ports, what characteristics do you look for.

Also, would you please explain your regimen in tasting these cask samples? For example where do you do them, are they done blind, how many do you do at a time, how long do you spend with each sample? ... etc.

Thanks for taking your time to answer all of the great questions this week, I am sure everyone here is most appreciative. [cheers.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Megan B

Post by Megan B »

Hello.
I am a novice port drinker, having only had 20 or so tastes in the last 2-3 years. To me, port almost always comes at the end of a meal and as/with the dessert course. I find the high alcohol challenging to pair with sometimes. Do you enjoy port paired with food, or do you make a point to always drink it alone in order to savor the nuance of the particular bottle? If you do pair it with food, what foods do you prefer with VPs and colheitas? (obviously, I'm not considering cigars food, here...)
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

James Suckling wrote: Dow: 1955, 1963, 1966, 1970, 1994, 2000

Niepoort: 1927, 1945, 1963, 1997...

Taylor: 1994, 1955, 1963, 1985, 1977

Croft: 1927, 1945, 1950, 1960, 1963, and 1997

Warre: all declared years but 1975

Sandeman: 1945, 1958, 1963, 1967
There's a real lack of 1970's on your list, especially considering Niepoort, Taylor and Sandeman. What is your assessment of the 1970 vintage?
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Tom D.

Post by Tom D. »

James Suckling wrote:My house pour: 1960 Croft.
Funny, I opened my lone bottle of this wine on my 50th birthday last year. It was the only 1960 vintage wine in my cellar, and I wasn't expecting a lot, based on some of the reviews. I really enjoyed it. Now I just wish I could find some more :yumyum:

James, didn't you once have ties to Madison? If you ever get back this way, I a nice little tasting could be arranged very easily. No more cigars allowed on the Union Terrace, though :(
Tom D.
Jeff G.

Post by Jeff G. »

Hey James,

Welcome to the boards and I hope your new venture is treating you well.

A couple of questions.

I see you're setting up a whole slew of tastings/events. Any plans for a proper port tasting in the works?

Also, to expand upon a previous question on what you look for in young port, what is that "wow" factor you look for that might take a port up to a the 96+ mark?

thanks in advanced, I hope you've been trying out all fo the new wine bars popping up all over Hong Kong on your asia trips.
Disclosure: Distributor for Quevedo Wines in NY
Brian C.

Post by Brian C. »

James Suckling wrote:Hi Brian

There is a huge upside to Portugese table wines as long as the word gets out. I think Douro is leading the way as you well know.

I am into Douro...

Thanks, James. Just to follow up, do you have any favorite Douro producers, and do you have any opinions on Dao and Alentejo in particular?
Bob bman

Post by Bob bman »

James, a few odds and ends questions:

-if you had to pick a last meal port, just from post-war options, what would you pick? I'm betting 45 Croft is your pick or would at least be on your short list

-do you agree with some that half bottles and single quintas mature more quickly than bigger bottles and traditional vp?

-I'm surprised that 83 Sandeman was not on your list of favourite Sandemans - any particular reason?

-aside from traditional dark chocolate and unsalted nuts, what else do you much on with your ports? Or do you prefer to munch nothing?

-now that you've been to Montreal numerous times, how about a trip to Ottawa?!! (after August 2012 pls, I'm in Guatemala until then)

Finally, have you forgiven me for saying years ago on WS that a picture of you looked like John Tesh???
Bob bman

Post by Bob bman »

Sorry James, one more: how would you rank the following ports by order of sweetness?

Graham
Croft
Gould Campbell, Quarles Harris, Smith Woodhouse, aka "The Twins"
Fonseca
Warre
Vesuvio
Taylor
Dow

This is more or less how I would rank them but I have no more than a few bottles worth of experience with some so would appreciate your comments.
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Hi James,

I can't say I've been a big follower of the Wine Spectator but I can't deny the impact of your reviews(and top 100 wines listing) on Vintage Port 94, Super Toscans 97, Chateau Neuf Du Pape and the way the sales and the price rises. While Chateau Neuf and Toscan wines are still hitting new peaks in demand and prices each year, why is Vintage Port demand declining in market that used to be so strong.

A connected question... Did the SAQ presented to you any Vintage Port to taste when you came to Quebec to review wines for your joint venture marketing operations? I ask this because I wounder if you feel that the lack of promotion for these products from the press and the SAQ especially in Quebec could explain the fall of this product in one of the best market for it.

Lucky boy to work with Jessica :)

Au plaisir de te lire!
Living the dream and now working for a Port company