OSCAR QUEVEDO

Join in on discussions with winemakers and other personalities in the Port, Madeira and Douro Wine trades.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh

Ray Barnes

Re: OSCAR QUEVEDO

Post by Ray Barnes »

Senhor Quevedo, how long would you say is your typical work day? I have read comments in a recent WS issue about Marcel Chapoutier typically working from 7am until 9pm, driven by passion for the business, and Georges Duboeuf going from 6:30am until close to or past midnight, often working on 5 hours' sleep. Is your schedule pretty consistent throughout the year, or does it intensify more during harvest time? Are you able to get some breaks for vacation time, and if so, where do you like to travel for pleasure alone? Thanks again, Ray
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Andy Velebil wrote: We've been told or heard the price of brandy has gone up significantly. How does this affect the price of Port? And how is that cost increase for brandy absorbed and/or spread across the range of Ports?
And to tag along on that question, does the quality of the brandy have a significant impact on the quality of the port? What do you look for in your brandy when sourcing it, or do you even need to put that much thought into the spirit?
-Brad

oscarquevedo

Post by oscarquevedo »

Ray Barnes wrote:Hello again Senhor Quevedo, I remain curious about the inspiration behind the artistic labels on the Oscar's and Claudia's Wine releases, especially since they are so different in character from all the Port labels.
Thank you again, Ray
Hi Ray, the idea with mostly Oscar's but also a bit Claudia's was to have a fresh and easy image, that clearly identifies with the producers and with a very personal and direct message on the back-label. Not sure if you have had opportunity to read it, but we wanted to make it all very easy and social media driven. The Port labels present a more classic image, without drawings, using black background, something a more serious, as Port tends to be.
oscarquevedo

Post by oscarquevedo »

Glenn E. wrote:Quevedo has some really amazing old Colheitas that I have been lucky enough to be able to try. I understand that those are mostly for private use, but it made me wonder. How are old stocks like that typically registered, and if a company wanted to do so could they use them to jump start a 20-yr old (or older) tawny blend? Or are new producers limited to purchasing older stocks from competitors when they want to start selling aged tawnies?

Aged tawnies are my favorite Ports, but it seems like that would also be the most difficult part of the business to get started.
This legislation is a bit complicated, and I've to admit I don't fully control it. But here are some of the most important rules for what you want to know:
- if you want to age some Port to be bottled in the future as Colheita, you have to inform the IVDP until the 7th year after the harvest of which tank is that and which volume you are keeping aside;
- if you don't do it, which is what most small growers that age some Port at home do, you can no longer use it for Colheita, only for Aged Tawnies; for instance, when Taylor launched the Scion Port, which they say is 150+ years old, actually they are bottling and selling a Reserve Tawny! As this local producer where they say they found this Port had not listed the pipa(s) as a single harvest Port, Taylor's can't mention any year on the label or back label;
- for the Aged Tawnies, the IVDP doesn't really care about how old is the Port. They just have it registered on a basic account, with no year; is then up to the producer to blend different things, using Port registered in a single harvest account or not; for the IVDP the only relevant thing is if the blend matches what it si supposed to be a 10, 20, 30 or 40 YOT;
- so in our case is possible to make a 40 YOT from the old pipas we have from my grandfather, but as these pipas were not registered under a single harvest, we can't use it for Colheitas.

Does this answer your question Glenn?
oscarquevedo

Post by oscarquevedo »

Rob C. wrote:
Ray Barnes wrote:I am very interested to hear if our distinguished guest offers any reason why wine is not safe for vegetarian or vegan consumption. To the best of my personal knowledge (which is admittedly not saying much), even the use of animal by-products in the fertilization of vineyard soil does not constitute a violation of a vegan diet, and that is really splitting hairs.
I'd also be interested to hear Oscar's opinion, but the problem from the perspective of a strict vegan (and, in a narrower range of cases, strict vegetarian) is that the fining process often (though not always) uses animal byproducts such as fish bladder (which can also cause issues for those on a kosher diet), cattle connective tissue, egg whites, and gelatin.
Hey Rob, I've no clue about restrictions on a vegan diete, but if animal byproducts is the issue, Vintage Port, Colheitas and 20 and 40 Tawnies are totally suitable as we don't use any fining process!
oscarquevedo

Post by oscarquevedo »

Andy Velebil wrote:Oscar,

We've been told or heard the price of brandy has gone up significantly. How does this affect the price of Port? And how is that cost increase for brandy absorbed and/or spread across the range of Ports?

Thanks again!!
Hi Andy, the price of the wine spirit has actually, as you say, gone up significantly. In the last 4 years it rose 3 times, which has some impact on the market, but honestly, not huge in my opinion. It can really harm those producers that sell entry-level, supermarket Port, for who each penny is relevant. But once you move a bit up the scale, the cost of the brandy is diluted.
This year there was an increase on the Port production of around 13%; good news for everyone that owns vineyards, as we will be able to make more Port out of the grapes we produce; The rose on the price of the brandy had an impact of around 120 euros per pipa of 550 liters, this is 11% on the final cost of a pipa of Port; in the end, the grape grower and Port producer remains neutral after this.
Who can be in a worse position with the wine spirit increase? Those that buy Port in bulk; but at this level, they are reducing the relative price of must/grapes they pay, sharing in the end the extra cost of the wine spirit with the grape grower.

Viewing the picture from other perspective, the rose of the wine spirit results from a European scarcity of wine. There have been some consecutive harvests of very low production, and with the wine consumption growing in other areas of the planet, the price of bulk wine gone up 100% in 2 years. This is good news for the grape growers in the Douro, as they will get better prices for the grapes they produce for Douro wine.

So one thing compensates the other :wink:
oscarquevedo

Post by oscarquevedo »

Ray Barnes wrote:Senhor Quevedo, how long would you say is your typical work day? I have read comments in a recent WS issue about Marcel Chapoutier typically working from 7am until 9pm, driven by passion for the business, and Georges Duboeuf going from 6:30am until close to or past midnight, often working on 5 hours' sleep. Is your schedule pretty consistent throughout the year, or does it intensify more during harvest time? Are you able to get some breaks for vacation time, and if so, where do you like to travel for pleasure alone? Thanks again, Ray
:D I thought I was working many hours but it looks like some others take it even more serious! I wake up at around 8am, barely have breakfast as don't have that much appetite in the morning. I avoid eating sandwiches for lunch as at this time of the day I'm always starving, so dish food is always very welcome! Then I stop working for dinner at around 8pm and sometimes, 30%(maybe!) of the days spend one or two more hours working. During harvest time there is only time to eat and sleep 5 or 6 hours. Harvest is very hard, but is the time of the year that I enjoy more. You feel how important each decision you take is and want to make sure you take the best from the grapes you were growing in the 12 previous months! There is certainly time for vacation, 3 weeks is fine! But bear in mind that some of what I do could be hard work for many people but for me is really pure pleasure. Traveling alone is not really an issue, as wine is so social and you meet and hang out with nice people that make each travel enjoyable. Can't complain, love what I do.

Today it couldn't bee an harvest day as I'm now off to see a FC Porto soccer match. But will be back to my laptop in 3 or 4 hours!
Miguel Simoes

Post by Miguel Simoes »

From another FCP supporter, may FC Porto beat Dinamo Zagreb!

Óscar, it has been a pleasure to read your well thought out answers here. Many thanks for taking the time.
Ray Barnes

Post by Ray Barnes »

Thank you for your very thoughtful and well written responses Senhor Quevedo, not just to my but all the other questions as well - and I was eager what you had to say about the potential effect of the cost increase of brandy. I'm glad to see you have some leisure time too. :D It is gratifying to see that you don't mind the long hours when required due to love of the work itself.

I truly hope to have the opportunity (along doubtless with other members here) to see you next June in Penticton, BC, Canada.
Ray Barnes

Post by Ray Barnes »

Hello Senhor Quevedo, at the risk of asking a potentially dumb question (and moderators please do feel free to act if necessary), do you feel conditions exist anywhere in Portugal for the potential production of unfortified sweet white or red wine, due to the influence of botrytis, dessication (I believe passilerage in French) or other factors? I believe most of the great wine nations of the world make this sort of wine, except for Spain and Portugal. Even in Burgundy, if one looks hard, one can find cuvee botrytis chardonnay. I'm just curious why the Iberian Peninsula is an exception to this general pattern. The above question also assumes there is a potential market for such wine, apart from the demand for the Iberian Peninsula's renowned fortified sweet wines. I respect a fine port and madeira as much as the next person here and off forum, but for a change of pace I would like to surprise a dinner guest with a Portugese dessert wine that was not 19% or 20% alcohol, especially if they have to drive. Thanks again, Ray
Rob C.

Post by Rob C. »

Oscar - leaving port to one side, i notice that some Douro wines are released without an IVDP selo, and some with an IVDP selo. What is the decision process behind deciding to use them on the Quevedo wines? Does it come at great cost?
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Oscar,
Thanks for taking the time for being here.
Another question regarding fortifying brandy. Because of the shortage and increased prices, I've heard that some producers may be lobbying for non-grape sourced ethanol. What are your thoughts on it? Could we have a sugar cane fortifying spirit?
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

oscarquevedo wrote: Does this answer your question Glenn?
Yes it does. Thanks Oscar, that is great information!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Glenn Elliott
oscarquevedo

Post by oscarquevedo »

Bradley Bogdan wrote:And to tag along on that question, does the quality of the brandy have a significant impact on the quality of the port? What do you look for in your brandy when sourcing it, or do you even need to put that much thought into the spirit?
Bradley, wine spirit quality is critical, specially when we are talking about premium Port. The IVDP does control and test all the spirit we use for Port. Despite that, it is possible possible to rank the different spirits approved. Usually, the older the spirt is the better it tastes (more neutral flavors). And neutrality is what we need for Port, specially VP, which undergoes several tastings by winemakers and consumers when it is still very young. As you know, VP is bottled 2 years after the harvest and at that time no one wants to feel the heat of the spirit in the bottle. Spirit is also relevant on the Rose Port, as flavors here are delicate and light, tannins are soft and, contrarily to the White Port, there is little time for aging.
oscarquevedo

Post by oscarquevedo »

Miguel Simoes wrote:From another FCP supporter, may FC Porto beat Dinamo Zagreb!

Óscar, it has been a pleasure to read your well thought out answers here. Many thanks for taking the time.
Thank you Miguel, good to know you are enjoying the reading! [cheers.gif]
oscarquevedo

Post by oscarquevedo »

Ray Barnes wrote:Hello Senhor Quevedo, at the risk of asking a potentially dumb question (and moderators please do feel free to act if necessary), do you feel conditions exist anywhere in Portugal for the potential production of unfortified sweet white or red wine, due to the influence of botrytis, dessication (I believe passilerage in French) or other factors? I believe most of the great wine nations of the world make this sort of wine, except for Spain and Portugal. Even in Burgundy, if one looks hard, one can find cuvee botrytis chardonnay. I'm just curious why the Iberian Peninsula is an exception to this general pattern. The above question also assumes there is a potential market for such wine, apart from the demand for the Iberian Peninsula's renowned fortified sweet wines. I respect a fine port and madeira as much as the next person here and off forum, but for a change of pace I would like to surprise a dinner guest with a Portugese dessert wine that was not 19% or 20% alcohol, especially if they have to drive. Thanks again, Ray
Hello Ray, the big advantage the Douro has to make beautiful fortified wines is also a disadvantage at the time of making wine with botrytised grapes. Despite having frost and sometimes dry fall in Douro, which would help grapes to develop botrytis, the major problem, in my opinion (and I'm certainly not the best person to talk about this), is the higher average annual temperature we have here, of over 16ºC or 60ºF, which helps us to develop well matured flavors, get intense tannins and very full bodied Ports. What we don't have that best wine regions that make botrytis influenced wine in the world do have? Acidity. Lower the temperatures, higher the acidity. Average annual temperature in Hungary is around 10ºC or 50ºF, in Sauternes is around 13ºC or 56ºF. And these wines need acidity to balance all the sugar unfermented. In Port we balance with spirit/ alcohol.

However, there are some producers producing sweet white wines in the Douro. Grandjo, from Real Companhia Velha has several decades of track record. Also Aneto (produced by the brilliant Francisco Montenegro), Rozes or Sogrape also have sweet white wines on the market. In Alentejo few producers also make botrytised wine, being the best probably Herdade da Mingorra.

But of you still want to surprise your guest with a Portuguese dessert wine with lower alcohol, think about a Moscatel roxo wine from Setubal area. Very nice!
oscarquevedo

Post by oscarquevedo »

Rob C. wrote:Oscar - leaving port to one side, i notice that some Douro wines are released without an IVDP selo, and some with an IVDP selo. What is the decision process behind deciding to use them on the Quevedo wines? Does it come at great cost?
Hi Rob, actually all Douro wines have a selo on the bottle. Contrarily to Port, where the selo is located over the neck of the bottle, Douro wines can have the selo located over the neck or on the back label. So if you have a bottle of Douro wine around in which you don't see a selo on the neck, check the back label and you will certainly see there a unique number for that bottle.

We use the selo for both Port and Douro on the neck, as we think it helps people to identify a bottle of wine from this region!
oscarquevedo

Post by oscarquevedo »

Eric Ifune wrote:Oscar,
Thanks for taking the time for being here.
Another question regarding fortifying brandy. Because of the shortage and increased prices, I've heard that some producers may be lobbying for non-grape sourced ethanol. What are your thoughts on it? Could we have a sugar cane fortifying spirit?
Hi Eric, I hope you are having a nice thanksgiving!

Never heard about this possibility and I think this is just a not very serious rumor. Not sure how Port would taste like in case we have used cane spirit, but maybe the Dry White Port would taste like caipirinha [foilhat.gif]

I know there is some research about using a pure wine spirit, instead of using the current we use with 77% abv. After distillation, wine spirit has +90% abv. It is then added water to bring the alcohol level to 77%. In terms of transport it would be more efficient to use a +90% abv wine spirit, as would reduce the transport cost in around 20%. Don't know the results of the research, maybe we have too wait some years to have a more consistent opinion.
Ray Barnes

Post by Ray Barnes »

Oscar, thank you again for your reply, I will try to seek some of these wines out, although they may be more readily available in the USA than Canada. I admire the respect you show for your fellow winemakers.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Hi Oscar,

For people who are somewhat new to Port, how would you advise them to spend their budget on beginning a foundation of a Port cellar? Let's say $1500 USD, or equivalent Euro value as the budget.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com