BENTO AMARAL - from the IVDP

Join in on discussions with winemakers and other personalities in the Port, Madeira and Douro Wine trades.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: BENTO AMARAL

Post by Andy Velebil »

My last question is in regard to adulterated wines/Ports. Does the IVDP test to ensure other non-wine substances are not added to Douro wines and Port? Such as Elderberry juice, plum juice, etc?

If so, how often do you detect adulteration?

Thank you very much for all your time with us. It has been a real education to learn about the IVDP and how it operates. :thanks: [notworthy.gif]
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Hi Bento,

I have one last question for you just for fun. It has two parts:

What is your "holy grail" Port? The Port that you think you will probably never get to taste, but you have always wanted to try.

And then the second part, what Port would you like to try but have just not gotten around to trying. A Port that you probably could try and someday probably will, but just haven't had the chance yet.

Thank you very much for your time this week - I have enjoyed all of your responses and have learned a lot!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Glenn Elliott
Bento Amaral

Post by Bento Amaral »

Adulterated wine/Port
Reply to: Andy Velebil

When tasting, elderberry or plum juice are quite noticeable and different from grape juice (sweeter aromas) so an adulteration using these (or other fruits) in a "wine" would lead to a rejection on tasting.
There's a second issue that prevents this kind of adulteration. The most common fruit in Douro is grape (and olive), so it's easy and cheaper to make wine using grapes!
On another hand, IVDP is concerned with the possible use of spirit from another fruit else than grape. So we have made some analytical tests to fruit and grain spirit in order to have a database and distinguish them in case someone intends to use them to fortify Port.
Bento Amaral

Post by Bento Amaral »

"Holy grail" Port and other Ports that I would like to taste
Reply to: Glenn Elliot

As I said in a previous post, the Port that I would like to (re)taste is the Noval Nacional 1931. This doesn't mean this is the best Port ever made, but it's the one that I would like to check if it is :-)
Answering the second part, I'm looking forward to retaste all the 1994 Vintage Port together on 5-10 years. 1994 was the first Vintage that I had the opportunity to taste a lot of wines together, as well as was the first that I had technical knowledge to evaluate them
Bento Amaral

Post by Bento Amaral »

Thank you all for your great questions. They make my think and research about this passionate wine that is Port. I had a great time being the guest of this wonderful corner. Thanks Roy for the invitation.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Bento,
You have no idea how great it was to have you here to share your extensive knowledge of everything Port and Douro; as well as the time you've invested this week! :NotWorthy:

It was a great honor for us at :ftlop: whether participant in asking questions or those that just came to read along and learn from you. I look forward to seeing you in 2014 in Porto. Thank you kindly and take good care. You are always welcome here and I am sure we will find fun ways to include you here in the future!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com