DOMINIC SYMINGTON

Join in on discussions with winemakers and other personalities in the Port, Madeira and Douro Wine trades.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh

Blair Curtis

Re: DOMINIC SYMINGTON

Post by Blair Curtis »

Hello Dominic,

Thanks so much for replying to my earlier question, and for all your generous responses.

I have one more area I was hoping you would comment on. For me, whenever we do horizontal tastings of a given Port vintage, I find the Warre's to be elegant (in a good way) and in some ways more refined than many others. Is that how you view Warre's within your portfolio? And if so, is it intended that this style continue in the future for Warre's, even as Quinta da Telhada fruit is added?

Cheers,
Blair
Cheers, B.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Please note that Dominic's last day as our guest host will end on Saturday. So if you have been lurking, deciding on a question to ask or waiting for the appropriate moment, I urge you to wait no longer. Within 20 hours it will all be over. Thanks to all of you. [cheers.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

I also want to congratulate Dominic and the Symington Family for both the Chryseia 2011 and the Dow 2011.
Well done! [cheers.gif]
Brian C.

Post by Brian C. »

Dominic,

Thanks again for answering my questions so graciously. I hope none of my questions came off the wrong way. I would also like to congratulate you and everyone at SFE for the honors bestowed by Wine Spectator. We always talk about how the Douro table wines don't get the recognition they deserve, but I think we can put that gripe to rest now. Well done. I'm curious, though, does the vineyard grading system extend to table wines as well? And how does one go about considering which grapes are more suitable for port and which are more suitable for table wine?
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Congratulations on the top spot and thank you again for all of your insightful answers and your time! We all really appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad

Paul Fountain

Post by Paul Fountain »

Hi Dominic,
Thanks for joining us this week. It has been insightful and educational to read through all of your answers.

Congratulations on the Wine Spectator results. It's a great vindication of the effort and attention to detail that SFE puts into it's portfolio. It must be extra pleasing that you've had something with so much history, then something relatively recent both get recognised.
I hope that I get the opportunity to try the 2011 Dow one day (I know that very little made it out my way and I suspect that not too much of that made it out of Tyrell's cellar :-) )

regards

Paul
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Tonight in Edmonton, we had a horizontal of 2011 Vintage Ports and it was fun to revisit the Dow which was incredible, as well as the Graham's and Warre's amongst a half dozen others. Having the Dow on the same day as it received #1 was fun and timely, but proved to a group of 18 why this Port was so deserving of such an honor. Afterwards we had a wine dinner and the only Portuguese wine was a 2000 Chryseia which was showing beautifully. Our final dessert wine was a bottle of 1970 Warre's Vintage Port. A fine night with good friends but also a tribute to the WS awards too. There are a LOT of SFE fans in this area, that is for sure.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Christian Gollnick

Post by Christian Gollnick »

Dear Dominic:
It was fantastic to follow this guest corner over the last days. So interesting - thanks for taking so much time to answer all the questions.

Next weekend is my daughter's 18th birthday - and I will open a few bottles of the 1996 Quinta do Bomfim.
For Christmas I plan to open the fantastic Dow 2011.

How long would you decant these bottles?

Greetings, Christian
Symington Family

Post by Symington Family »

Blair Curtis wrote:Hello Dominic,

Thanks so much for replying to my earlier question, and for all your generous responses.

I have one more area I was hoping you would comment on. For me, whenever we do horizontal tastings of a given Port vintage, I find the Warre's to be elegant (in a good way) and in some ways more refined than many others. Is that how you view Warre's within your portfolio? And if so, is it intended that this style continue in the future for Warre's, even as Quinta da Telhada fruit is added?

Cheers,
Blair
Blair, your comment on Warre is absolutely correct, we always refer to the wines as showing great finesse and balance, the most feminine of the top houses. The addition of Telhada will give the wines a little more depth and structure to the wine but won’t alter the finnese.
Telhada is a fantastic property right on the river back, a little east of Sra. da Ribeira, quiet low lying but with a very open exposition therefore gets the cooling afternoon winds even in high summer.
Symington Family

Eric, Brian & Bradley,
thank you very much indeed for your comments, a great day for the Douro. I very much agree, I sincerely hope that this will now open the doors to the recognition Douro wines deserve.
I've in fact just got of the phone with Xito Olazabal of Vale Meão and he wa saying exactly this.
As I've mentioned various times on this thread, it's all the hard work and improvements in the vineyards that has helped us to rise to these heights, plus some of those "toy's" I've mentioned at the wineries!
Symington Family

Paul Fountain wrote:Hi Dominic,
Thanks for joining us this week. It has been insightful and educational to read through all of your answers.

Congratulations on the Wine Spectator results. It's a great vindication of the effort and attention to detail that SFE puts into it's portfolio. It must be extra pleasing that you've had something with so much history, then something relatively recent both get recognised.
I hope that I get the opportunity to try the 2011 Dow one day (I know that very little made it out my way and I suspect that not too much of that made it out of Tyrell's cellar :-) )

regards

Paul
Paul, you well be right - you might have to put in a special plea!
I like the analogy of an old historic wine and a new one! It is interesting to think that the origin of Port was in fact red Douro wines, it's gone a full circle.
Symington Family

Roy Hersh wrote:Tonight in Edmonton, we had a horizontal of 2011 Vintage Ports and it was fun to revisit the Dow which was incredible, as well as the Graham's and Warre's amongst a half dozen others. Having the Dow on the same day as it received #1 was fun and timely, but proved to a group of 18 why this Port was so deserving of such an honor. Afterwards we had a wine dinner and the only Portuguese wine was a 2000 Chryseia which was showing beautifully. Our final dessert wine was a bottle of 1970 Warre's Vintage Port. A fine night with good friends but also a tribute to the WS awards too. There are a LOT of SFE fans in this area, that is for sure.

Roy, what an amazing coincidence that you were presenting a 2011 vertical on the evening the WS Top 100 result came out and then to also serve Chryseia 2000, our first release!
Thanks very much indeed for your comments about my family's wines, as with so many things, it is so often down to small personal preferances as to which wine one or other of us prefers but there is no doubt that this Dow is a tough cookey to beat!
I'll have to make sure Rupert puts Edmonton on his list teh enxt time he's in Canada.
Symington Family

Christian Gollnick wrote:Dear Dominic:
It was fantastic to follow this guest corner over the last days. So interesting - thanks for taking so much time to answer all the questions.

Next weekend is my daughter's 18th birthday - and I will open a few bottles of the 1996 Quinta do Bomfim.
For Christmas I plan to open the fantastic Dow 2011.

How long would you decant these bottles?

Greetings, Christian

Hi Christian
greta to hear from you.
For the bOmfim I woudl give 3 hours or so.
For the Dow 2011, in all honesty I wouldn't decant and would serve directly from the bottle. Being so young the joy will be in the explosion of fruit and flavour when you serve. At this stage in their life Vintage Port is a "fruit bomb"(!!) and alsmost "hasn't yet become Port"! I know it's an odd comment but some of you (Roy in particular) will know what I mean.
PLease give your daughter my best and I hope to meet her on one of your visits.
Symington Family

Glenn E. wrote:Dominic,

Thank you very much for being with us this week. The questions posed and your answers have been entertaining reading. It is inspiring for people like us that someone so involved and highly regarded in the trade would take the time to answer our questions and interact with us.

One last question for me. Are there any long-term experiments going on within SFE that you can tell us about? Perhaps single-Quinta releases from some of your smaller estates? Or testing similar to what was done by Ramos Pinto in the early '80s?

Hi Glenn, we're doing a lot of research into varietal vinification, colour extraction, aromatics etc. Of course a huge amount in the vineyards, soil management, errosion, cover crops, density planting, vine training etc.
Symington Family

Conrad Bodnar wrote:Dominic,

Conrad Bodnar here from Western Canada. We have met only once when you were a most gracious host to the 2010 Harvest Tour at Vesuvio. It seems as though the hard work and passion your family has for what it does continues to pay dividends as seen in the recent awards. Congratulations.

I do have to share that my first bottle of Port, many years ago, was a Graham's Six Grapes. Although I seem to start with the LBVs now, it definitely ignited my interest in Port and collecting it!

After reading through the entire weeks worth of posts, you would think we would run out of questions, but I would like to ask several more:

Industry related, you spoke of declared years being only 3-4 times a decade, with as many as 7 and as few as 2 years between general declarations, but how do you think we will ever see back to back declared vintages? I think it has allowed consumers some amazing Single Quinta Vintage Ports to be purchased at less than declared VP prices simply because they fall prior to, or follow a vintage year. I suppose I should not complain about this, as half bottles of Bonfim are always going empty around here, but do believe it is one of those Port Traditions that may hurt the trade.

Getting more personal, you had said you were enjoying a Otima 20 while replying the other day. Are you able to share your top 3 personal favourites when it comes to the many Ports you've tasted over the years? I also love to hear stories such as the Senhora da Ribeira one you shared earlier. Personally, are there any particular vintages that are held in a special corner of your memory?

Thank you for you time in replying, as well as the time you have spent with us this week.

Respectfully,

Conrad Bodnar
Thanks for your comments Conrad.
I think the overiding issue regarding a Vintage Declaration must be quality and if 2 outstanding years come back to back, why not, tradition has menat not, but why not?
I think a classic example is 1994 and 1995. !995 is in my opinion one of the best yeras ever not "declared". I wish in no way to take away the quality and reputation of SQV wines but a "decalred vinatge" takes the wines to higher level and with port the blend is gretaer than the parts.

Dow's 1896 is a wine that I can virtyally taste every time I think of it. Even more extrodinary when we think that this wa sport phyloxera and the vines were most probably no more than 15 years old - where has the old vines myth gone????
Warre's 1922, in London with Bill Warre and Rob Rolls who had a wien company in the City of London. At teh end of lunch Rob produced a decanter, we looked at the wine but Bill simply picked up the glass, siffed once & turned to me and said "your grandfather (Maurice Symington) served thIs wine on the night I got engaged, it's Warre's '22" As you can imagine Rob & I were somewhat surprised, none more than I when he Rob produced the bottle.
Of course the 45's are outstanding but I will go for 2 mor eif you permit - 1963 and 1970, they are as close as one can get to perfection for Vintage port, both very distinct at the moment and I woudl mind which of my family's wines were served, and to be honest I would be delighted with quite a large number of some other producers 63's or '70's as well! ... and then I would sneek in some '66! ... not to speak of younger vintages.
Symington Family

Brian C. wrote:Dominic,

Thanks again for answering my questions so graciously. I hope none of my questions came off the wrong way. I would also like to congratulate you and everyone at SFE for the honors bestowed by Wine Spectator. We always talk about how the Douro table wines don't get the recognition they deserve, but I think we can put that gripe to rest now. Well done. I'm curious, though, does the vineyard grading system extend to table wines as well? And how does one go about considering which grapes are more suitable for port and which are more suitable for table wine?
Hello Brian,
No, the vineyard classification is only atributed to Port vineyards. There is no specific classification for wine vineyards.
What we have found is the a great "port" vineyard is not necessarily a great "wine" vineyard and vice versa but some are the some.
Kent Benson

Post by Kent Benson »

I've only had the pleasure of meeting one of your relatives (Rupert, in Minneapolis a couple months ago). I've read that most of the Symingtons at SFE are cousins. Could you give us a rundown on how each is related to you (Charles, Rupert, Peter, Johnny, Paul, am I missing anyone?)?
Kent Benson

Post by Kent Benson »

Symington Family wrote:where has the old vines myth gone????
I attended a Master Class on Australian wines in Las Vegas a few years ago at which Philip Laffer, long-time winemaker at Jacob's Creek, was one of the panelists. He made an astounding statement about old vines. He said that it is much more likely that the greatness of old vine wines is attributable to the vineyard site and the suitability of the variety planted there rather than to the age of the vines. He argued that the fact that the vines are old is merely evidence that the combination of site and variety had proven to be exceptional from the very beginning. Otherwise, the variety would have been grafted over long ago. Therefore, we should tout the site and its well-suited variety, and not the age of the vines.

Based upon your "old vines myth" comment, I assume you share a somewhat similar opinion. Could you elaborate?
Jim Silverman
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States of America - USA

Post by Jim Silverman »

There was a discussion earlier about what glass to use to drink port.

Normally, I drink vintage port out of the Riedel vintage port glass (which, I think holds about 7 ounces filled to the brim and which is similar in shape to the INAO tasting glass).

Are you suggesting that I use a larger glass?

Thank you.

Jim
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Hi Jim,

You are possibly too late as it was after 10 p.m. in Portugal when you entered your question. I am not expecting Dominic to stop back here, but maybe you will get lucky. We'll know soon enough.