DOMINIC SYMINGTON

Join in on discussions with winemakers and other personalities in the Port, Madeira and Douro Wine trades.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: DOMINIC SYMINGTON

Post by Roy Hersh »

Hi Dominic,

I was just coming to read today's questions and responses, but moments before, I had noticed Gustavo's FB posting about the #3 WS position for the 2011 Chryseia. Fantastic news and then your note about the Vale Meao in the #4 spot. This is huge for both companies, but possibly even more importantly, the recognition for the Douro to have two great names so high in the Top 100 pecking order, a massive achievement and hopefully, a game changer! :thumbsup: [cheers.gif]

Thanks for the fond recent memory of that pair of bottles in Odense, those 1966 Barca Velha bottles were awe inspiring, never to be forgotten!

Reading all of the fantastic questions and your responses so far has been richly rewarding. It has been so much fun, I don't want this week to end. [notworthy.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Kent Benson

Post by Kent Benson »

Hi Dom,

Thanks for all the inside scoop!

A few years ago I ran across this quote from Pedro Branco of Quinta do Portal: “The benefício is a bit of paper that gives a producer the right to add brandy to must, and therefore make Port. Every year you receive a letter telling you how much Port you can make, and this quantity will vary according to Port stocks, the market, the vintage forecast, and so on. The benefício is tied to vineyards, and therefore to grapes. Legally, you can sell someone your benefício with the grapes that it relates to. But what sometimes happens is that people just buy or sell the piece of paper without the grapes. For table wines, you don’t need a benefício, so if you had a great vineyard but didn’t want to make Port from it, there would be a benefício going spare. Or if you had some fantastic grapes and you wanted to make more Port than your current benefício permitted, you might buy someone’s benefício but tell them to keep their grapes.”

How big of an issue is this? Does it ever impact your dealings with growers?
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Dominic, I went to visit Cockburn's lodges in September by curiosity. The host spoke about the possibility to release old tawnies/colheita in a near future to celebrate the 200th anniversary. Can you give us information about this yet?
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
John Hames

Post by John Hames »

Hi Dominic

I have enjoyed many fine wines from the Symington Family estate portfolio over the years and look forward to many more. I am with the American Wine Society and would love to have a representative help educate our members on your family of Port wines. Our 2014 conference just concluded but the 2015 national conference is Nov. 5-7 in Virginia. Would it be possible for someone from Symington to present an educational session at the conference? I can be reached at [email protected] and would love to be in touch with someone to help arrange a session. Thank you!
Symington Family

Post by Symington Family »

Kent Benson wrote:Hi Dom,

Thanks for all the inside scoop!

A few years ago I ran across this quote from Pedro Branco of Quinta do Portal: “The benefício is a bit of paper that gives a producer the right to add brandy to must, and therefore make Port. Every year you receive a letter telling you how much Port you can make, and this quantity will vary according to Port stocks, the market, the vintage forecast, and so on. The benefício is tied to vineyards, and therefore to grapes. Legally, you can sell someone your benefício with the grapes that it relates to. But what sometimes happens is that people just buy or sell the piece of paper without the grapes. For table wines, you don’t need a benefício, so if you had a great vineyard but didn’t want to make Port from it, there would be a benefício going spare. Or if you had some fantastic grapes and you wanted to make more Port than your current benefício permitted, you might buy someone’s benefício but tell them to keep their grapes.”

How big of an issue is this? Does it ever impact your dealings with growers?
Hi Kent, that's pretty much it, a good description.
It’s an extremely complicated issue. The Benefício was designed when Portugal was administered under a Corporate State system (The right-wing Salazar Government).
Although clearly it’s very interventionist, it worked reasonably well while the Douro Farmer only produced grapes for Port, essentially forcing the price of grapes up by limiting supply and therefore obliging the Port Trade to “subsidise” the community.
It also had a secondary effect of maintaining a reasonable stability of supply, as Pedro mentions, the amount of Benefício allocated annually would vary depending on global demand, stock management requirements etc.

It can be complicated if a Port producer only accepts the benefíco part of production.
One must remember that the Douro vineyard area has expanded hugely in the in the last 20/30 years due to planting subsidies, but as mentioned previously, global port sales have slipped more than 10% in total volume and account for some 50% of total grape production. The Douro wines account for some 25%/30% therefore there is a regional excess of production. Normally this would mean a drop in prices, the supply and demand would find a balance and everything would continue. The benefício system protects the farmer from these vagaries of economics.
Symington Family

Frederick Blais wrote:Dominic, I went to visit Cockburn's lodges in September by curiosity. The host spoke about the possibility to release old tawnies/colheita in a near future to celebrate the 200th anniversary. Can you give us information about this yet?
I'm sorry but we don't have any plans to release some Old Tawny or comemorative Colheita for the Cockburn 200th. Anniversary. We are however keeping our fingers crossed that 2015 will turn out to be a fanatstic vintage so that we can celebrate an anniversary decalaration - so if you know of any way can guarantee this, please let us know!!!!
Symington Family

John Hames wrote:Hi Dominic

I have enjoyed many fine wines from the Symington Family estate portfolio over the years and look forward to many more. I am with the American Wine Society and would love to have a representative help educate our members on your family of Port wines. Our 2014 conference just concluded but the 2015 national conference is Nov. 5-7 in Virginia. Would it be possible for someone from Symington to present an educational session at the conference? I can be reached at [email protected] and would love to be in touch with someone to help arrange a session. Thank you!
John, I'm sure we would be delighted to do as you suggets. I'll pass on your contacts to the US Market team who will be in touch.
Thanks for your comments on our ports/wines.
best
Dominic
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Dom,

I believe that you sold all of your production (other than marketing and reserve stocks) of the 2011 vintage ports. Was this a deliberate decision not to hold back any stocks for later release? Or was it a much smaller production volume than in previous harvests?

I ask because I was 50 last year and it was really nice to be able to buy ex-cellars 1963 ports on their 50th birthday.

Thanks,

Alex
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Dom,

Peter Reutter posted a question in the Madeira forum, which I've copied and posted here for you.
Since I heard that we have an expert guest in the forums this week, I would like to post a rather exotic question to Dominic. I do understand that the knowledge about this specific wine might be minimal, but since I believe that I own a bottle this is a rare chance that is not to be missed :-)

The question is about the origin and the whereabouts of the so-called "common stock" Terrantez 1795 of the MWA/MWC. In Cossart's book the wine is easy to see on a photograph of bottles from the "common stock" of the amalgamated companies. I have seen at least three bottles with identical stencils and was able to get my hands on one bottle. Due to a leaking cork I had to recork it and took a sample. From my (limited) experience I can say, that this 1795 T is definetely in the same league as the other 1795 T wines. So of course I am interested to know how and when this wine "entered" the MWA/MWC and where it came from. Also: how many bottles are there left, if any?

Any answers, any information are highly appreciated, thanks! [help.gif]

Peter
http://www.fortheloveofport.com/ftlopfo ... =2&t=37740
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Symington Family

Andy Velebil wrote:Dom,

Peter Reutter posted a question in the Madeira forum, which I've copied and posted here for you.
Since I heard that we have an expert guest in the forums this week, I would like to post a rather exotic question to Dominic. I do understand that the knowledge about this specific wine might be minimal, but since I believe that I own a bottle this is a rare chance that is not to be missed :-)

The question is about the origin and the whereabouts of the so-called "common stock" Terrantez 1795 of the MWA/MWC. In Cossart's book the wine is easy to see on a photograph of bottles from the "common stock" of the amalgamated companies. I have seen at least three bottles with identical stencils and was able to get my hands on one bottle. Due to a leaking cork I had to recork it and took a sample. From my (limited) experience I can say, that this 1795 T is definetely in the same league as the other 1795 T wines. So of course I am interested to know how and when this wine "entered" the MWA/MWC and where it came from. Also: how many bottles are there left, if any?

Any answers, any information are highly appreciated, thanks! [help.gif]

Peter
http://www.fortheloveofport.com/ftlopfo ... =2&t=37740
Hi Andy & Peter.
I'll pick this one up a shoot over to Chris for a reply. Personally I don't have the necessary info on this one, I'm sure I would have requested a QC sample had I know about it!!!!
I'll ask Chris to reply directly to you.
best
Dom
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Dom,
Congratulations to you, your family, and everyone else in the company for taking the top spot in Wine Spectator's top 100 wines of the year. 2011 Dow's VP [notworthy.gif] :thumbsup:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Andy Velebil wrote:Congratulations to you, your family, and everyone else in the company for taking the top spot in Wine Spectator's top 100 wines of the year. 2011 Dow's VP [notworthy.gif] :thumbsup:
Agreed, congratulations! :clap: That's a fantastic achievement for Dow, SFE, and Port wine in general.

We here on FTLOP may be a bit biased, but I think it was a well-deserved honor. :-)

:thumbsup:
Glenn Elliott
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Dominic,

Thank you very much for being with us this week. The questions posed and your answers have been entertaining reading. It is inspiring for people like us that someone so involved and highly regarded in the trade would take the time to answer our questions and interact with us.

One last question for me. Are there any long-term experiments going on within SFE that you can tell us about? Perhaps single-Quinta releases from some of your smaller estates? Or testing similar to what was done by Ramos Pinto in the early '80s?
Glenn Elliott
Edgar B.
Location: Port Angeles, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Edgar B. »

I have enjoyed reading the erudite Q&A and any question I may have had, has been answered. What a valuable resource (FTLOP) it is to be able to get the "real deal" answers from the source.

Thank you Dominic for taking the time to answer our questions!
Thank you Roy for your and your team's efforts for keeping FTLOP the great organization it has been for so long!
Ed
Symington Family

Glenn E. wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:Congratulations to you, your family, and everyone else in the company for taking the top spot in Wine Spectator's top 100 wines of the year. 2011 Dow's VP [notworthy.gif] :thumbsup:
Agreed, congratulations! :clap: That's a fantastic achievement for Dow, SFE, and Port wine in general.

We here on FTLOP may be a bit biased, but I think it was a well-deserved honor. :-)

:thumbsup:
Thanks very much guys, quite a big deal - Charles looks like the cat that got the cream!
Great affirmation for the Douro - and I think vindication for all my coments on viticulture that have run through this thread!!!!
There's quite a lot of celebrating going on in the office at the moment ... and in a minute we're going to get all the staff togther and toast the success with Magnums of Dow's 1985.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Shame on me, but I don't read the Wine Spectator anymore. With #1, 3 and 4 going to SFE and Qta Vale Meão, who snuck in at #2?

The #1 spot has not gone to a Port wine since 1997, when a few 1994 Vintage Ports shared the top spot. So this is really significant. I may just have to seek out a copy of the WS while I'm at the airport today.

The Symington Family Estates and as Dominic mentioned, Charles Symington in particular, have a lot to be proud of capturing 1st and 3rd place. This is not only great for their family-owned company and Port wine in general, but for Portugal ... and more specifically, the Douro region will benefit greatly. Dominic we are delighted to see these results and the irony that you are here with us this week, is not lost on any of us. [friends.gif]

Regards and congratulations to your entire family!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Symington Family wrote:
Frederick Blais wrote:Dominic, I went to visit Cockburn's lodges in September by curiosity. The host spoke about the possibility to release old tawnies/colheita in a near future to celebrate the 200th anniversary. Can you give us information about this yet?
I'm sorry but we don't have any plans to release some Old Tawny or comemorative Colheita for the Cockburn 200th. Anniversary. We are however keeping our fingers crossed that 2015 will turn out to be a fanatstic vintage so that we can celebrate an anniversary decalaration - so if you know of any way can guarantee this, please let us know!!!!
I might be your lucky charm.... I'm in the process of getting a Visa to open a business in the Douro next year :)
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Symington Family

Roy Hersh wrote:Shame on me, but I don't read the Wine Spectator anymore. With #1, 3 and 4 going to SFE and Qta Vale Meão, who snuck in at #2?

The #1 spot has not gone to a Port wine since 1997, when a few 1994 Vintage Ports shared the top spot. So this is really significant. I may just have to seek out a copy of the WS while I'm at the airport today.

The Symington Family Estates and as Dominic mentioned, Charles Symington in particular, have a lot to be proud of capturing 1st and 3rd place. This is not only great for their family-owned company and Port wine in general, but for Portugal ... and more specifically, the Douro region will benefit greatly. Dominic we are delighted to see these results and the irony that you are here with us this week, is not lost on any of us. [friends.gif]

Regards and congratulations to your entire family!
Thank you Roy, for your very kind words. This will, I'm sure be a huge help for the Douro in general, we just have to keep beating the drum.
I'll reply to some of the last quetsions tomorrow morning - I'm off to celebrate now!!!!!
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Dominic:

What are your thoughts on re-corking VP? Does SFE have position or service for re-corking?

Also, we have not heard any comments/question on SFE's Madeira holdings. What is the state of Madeira market now and predictions for the future? Vintage Madeira's have shot through the roof this last decade and the 10 & 15 Madeira has a few competitive offers available.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Conrad Bodnar

Post by Conrad Bodnar »

Dominic,

Conrad Bodnar here from Western Canada. We have met only once when you were a most gracious host to the 2010 Harvest Tour at Vesuvio. It seems as though the hard work and passion your family has for what it does continues to pay dividends as seen in the recent awards. Congratulations.

I do have to share that my first bottle of Port, many years ago, was a Graham's Six Grapes. Although I seem to start with the LBVs now, it definitely ignited my interest in Port and collecting it!

After reading through the entire weeks worth of posts, you would think we would run out of questions, but I would like to ask several more:

Industry related, you spoke of declared years being only 3-4 times a decade, with as many as 7 and as few as 2 years between general declarations, but how do you think we will ever see back to back declared vintages? I think it has allowed consumers some amazing Single Quinta Vintage Ports to be purchased at less than declared VP prices simply because they fall prior to, or follow a vintage year. I suppose I should not complain about this, as half bottles of Bonfim are always going empty around here, but do believe it is one of those Port Traditions that may hurt the trade.

Getting more personal, you had said you were enjoying a Otima 20 while replying the other day. Are you able to share your top 3 personal favourites when it comes to the many Ports you've tasted over the years? I also love to hear stories such as the Senhora da Ribeira one you shared earlier. Personally, are there any particular vintages that are held in a special corner of your memory?

Thank you for you time in replying, as well as the time you have spent with us this week.

Respectfully,

Conrad Bodnar