JORGE ROSAS

Join in on discussions with winemakers and other personalities in the Port, Madeira and Douro Wine trades.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

JORGE ROSAS

Post by Roy Hersh »

It has been several years since I've invited a renowned individual from the Port trade to be a Guest Corner host here. :scholar:

Given that there have been more than a quarter of a million views of this section of the Forum, I think it is about time to reopen the doors. So while the exact dates in May are being finalized, you may want to look back at some past guests and prepare questions for the individual that will be announced in this space ... very soon!

But until that is finalized and the guest is announced, please do not leave any questions in this area. Yet! [cheers.gif] [cheers.gif] [cheers.gif]

Thank you!

Roy
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Bradley Bogdan

Re: RE-OPEN

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Very excited! Glad to see it returning!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Brad

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

So the dates are still a work in progress, but it will be early in May, that JORGE ROSAS who is the head of RAMOS PINTO will be our Guest Corner host and Guest of Honor.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Roy Hersh wrote:So the dates are still a work in progress, but it will be early in May, that JORGE ROSAS who is the head of RAMOS PINTO will be our Guest Corner host and Guest of Honor.
[yahoo.gif]

That's awesome! I do hope it is early May, though, as I'll be on vacation for the latter half of the month!
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

It will be.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Very cool. Look forward to it.

Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Roy Hersh wrote:So the dates are still a work in progress, but it will be early in May, that JORGE ROSAS who is the head of RAMOS PINTO will be our Guest Corner host and Guest of Honor.
Very excited, thanks Roy!

-Brad

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I just confirmed the dates and they are now carved in stone. :NotWorthy:

Jorge Rosas will be here from Monday, May 8th through the end of Friday, May 12th.
I am very happy that Jorge has agreed to this, as his experience in the Port trade and with the Confraria do Vinho do Porto has been for many years. It is my hope that you all will feel comfortable in asking questions or bringing up discussion points with Jorge. It is not every day that you have the opPORTunity to communicate directly with the head of one of Port wines' legendary companies.

Jorge mentioned that he is excited to be declaring and that they have produced between 7,000 and 8,000 bottles of 2015 Vintage Ports.

Please start with any questions you may have on ANY topic that is related to Port and Douro wines, tourism, viticulture etc., but it would be appreciated if you would please wait until Sunday, May 7th. If you would like, I am happy to remind everyone. :scholar:
Thomas V

Post by Thomas V »

Roy Hersh wrote:I just confirmed the dates and they are now carved in stone. :NotWorthy:

Jorge Rosas will be here from Monday, May 8th through the end of Friday, May 12th.
I am very happy that Jorge has agreed to this, as his experience in the Port trade and with the Confraria do Vinho do Porto has been for many years. It is my hope that you all will feel comfortable in asking questions or bringing up discussion points with Jorge. It is not every day that you have the opPORTunity to communicate directly with the head of one of Port wines' legendary companies.

Jorge mentioned that he is excited to be declaring and that they have produced between 7,000 and 8,000 bottles of 2015 Vintage Ports.

Please start with any questions you may have on ANY topic that is related to Port and Douro wines, tourism, viticulture etc., but it would be appreciated if you would please wait until Sunday, May 7th. If you would like, I am happy to remind everyone. :scholar:
It is equally exciting that Jorge and Ramos Pinto have declared a 2015 VP as well as will be participating in the Guest Corner on FTLOP. Great start to the weekend.

Appreciate the effort Roy to kick back things inhere and allow the members a small glimpse into the Port Wine trade. Good stuff.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Thanks. I really hope that people give some appreciation to the time commitment of our guest and are unafraid to ask questions that they've been dying to hear from someone who has many years of experience in the trade. It should be great. I hope even some of our lurkers and beginners will be willing to participate. There are no questions too basic, so the more the merrier.

[welcome.gif]
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

So if you are going to participate, today starts the clock and Jorge will be checking in here. Start your questions! :munch:
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: JORGE ROSAS

Post by Glenn E. »

Hi Jorge!

Thanks for joining us as our Guest Host for the week. We really enjoy these chances to interact with respected members of the Port trade. I'll get things started with something that's always fun.

You've been put in complete control of the Port trade. You have the power to do anything you want - change a regulation, create a new category of Port, re-define the borders of the Douro region - anything! But you only get to make one change, and then you are removed from power.

What one change would you make and why would you make it?
Glenn Elliott
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Hello and thank you for participating here.
There has been several very, very old wood aged Ports put on the market in the past few years. Most of these are categorized as tawny reserves. Madeira has approved the category of Over 50 year Old recently. Is there any thought for doing the same for Port?
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Hi Jorge,

Many thanks for taking the time out to spend a week with us. It's always a treat and very much appreciated to learn for someone in the trade as experienced as yourself.

During your tenure at Ramos Pinto, what has been the achievement you are most proud of? I realize this may not be the end product, such as a wine, but could be anything you have been most proud of achieving during your time so far at Ramos Pinto.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Luc Gauthier

Post by Luc Gauthier »

Bonjour Jorge
TX for taking the time in your schedule.
A couple of simple questions
Do you consider 20 yr old tawnys as being the ultimate in wood aged ports
An observation , in Québec the 30 yr old Ramos Pinto tawny sells out faster than any other 30 yr old .
Any thaughts
Merçi
Vintage avant jeunesse/or the other way around . . .
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Hi Jorge,

I would like to hear your opinion on the 2015 vs. 2016 Vintage Ports. Can you tell us which one you believe to be the better vintage and why?
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Hi Jorge

I'm interested to know what you do in the vineyards - after all, great wines start with great grapes.

For port, what grape varieties do you tend to find make the best Vintage or colheita Ports? Or do you find field blends work best?

What influence on today's production and blending of vintage and LBV ports has come from the single varietal vinification experiments that Ramos Pinto did in the 1980s?

Many thanks,

Alex
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Jorge:

I am big Ramos VP and dry wine fan...

Has the 10 and 20 year tawny blends changed over the last decade? There are a few on this forum that are convinced they have; including me. Ramos was my favorite tawny, but has fallen out of favor for me. Another friend never really like Ramos tawny, but now all he buys is the 20 like it's best thing he ever tasted...
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Adriano Ramos Pinto Vinhos SA

Post by Adriano Ramos Pinto Vinhos SA »

Olá Glenn,
It is a great pleasure to be a FTLOP Guest Host.
As you know, it is not easy to change anything in the oldest appellation in the world.
I have no doubts that Porto / Douro legislation has been quite effective and positive for our “industry” in the last decades. Nevertheless, I am convinced that it needs some adaptions to our times. These measures should be carefully studied by our industry (production and trade) and should be taken consensually.
So, having said that, the "one change” I would do, would be updating the parcels scoring method (created by Eng. Moreira da Fonseca in 1947). This extraordinary and pioneer “método de pontuação” was based on rating criteria of 12 parameters grouped in geographical, climatic and cultural and classifies each parcel for Port production. Nevertheless, the existent conditions today are very different, namely:
• important variations of planted vineyards in the 3 sub-regions,
• more accurate technology to evaluate climate,
• better working tools in the field of Geographical Information System, which would allow more objectivity to the “método”,
• climate change,
• very important evolution in viticultural technical solutions.
With this update, Douro vineyards would be rated in a more accurate way.
Adriano Ramos Pinto Vinhos SA

Post by Adriano Ramos Pinto Vinhos SA »

Hi Andy,
Thank you for your kind words.
I am Ramos Pinto CEO for approximately one year and the achievement that I am most proud of is the fact that the Ramos Pinto Team is embracing the changing that we are making in different areas (viticulture, winemaking, IT, etc.). As the 5th generation of a winemaking family, I have taken into account the vision of my predecessors, and update it in order to keep Ramos Pinto has a reference of Port and Douro top quality wines. These evolutions are being carefully made, always bearing in mind the respect of our history, traditions and specially our unique Douro “terroirs”.