BARTHOLOMEW BROADBENT - September's Guest Corner

Join in on discussions with winemakers and other personalities in the Port, Madeira and Douro Wine trades.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh

Bartholomew Broadbent

Re: Bartholomew Broadbent = September's Guest Corner

Post by Bartholomew Broadbent »

Eric Ifune wrote:It's only Monday afternoon and David and Marco have already asked the Madeira questions I was going to pose. :yumyum: I was with David at Justino's when your and the regular Justino wines were tasted side by side.
I've a bottle of the Old Reserve Terrantez ready to open in a couple of weeks.
I also love the 10 yo Malmsey.
Was the decision to label it as Malmsey rather than Malvasia because of marketing in the US?
When you changed the blend, what specifically where you most interested in changing, i.e. acidity, sweetness, ect?
Thank you!
Malmsey over Malvasia...Malmsey is an old term. What about Bual versus Boal? We use Boal on old vintages and Bual on young wines. The Duke of Clarence was drowned in a butt of Malmsey. Malvasia just wouldn't sound right. It sounds too Italian! Malmsey is a very British and American name. Not just for America but for the UK too. By the way, Berry Bros in the UK sells it, though other retailers can buy it from our UK importer.

When we changed the blend... at the time, when my father went over on our behalf, Tinta Negra Mole, as it was then named, was considered an inferior grape, mainly because of misleading propaganda that I was as guilty as spreading as anyone. My father, in his search for our wines, was mandated to find a 5 year Malmsey and a 10 year Malmsey because that is what was popular in America. He tasted a ton of wines and reported back to me that I was crazy to want the Malmsey because he had discovered that the best made Tinta Negra Mole wines were as good as the best Malmseys...and cheaper too. I conceded and adopted the TNM for my 5 year Reserve but I insisted that I have the Malmsey for the 10 year, because that is what the restaurants are expected to serve. My father was right. Our 5 year Reserve from TNM was superb, almost as good as the 10 year Malmsey. However, the 10 year Malmsey suffered by comparison. We had to improve it... basically, we improved it by increasing the sweetness and richness, sourcing higher quality wines and selecting ones which had been aged differently to give them more elegance.

It is now generally accepted by all the Madeira shippers that Negra Mole is one of the classic grapes, along with Sercial, Verdelho, Bual, Malmsey, Terrantez [and, in the past, Moscatel and Bastardo]. Negra Mole is the only classic grape that is red, but we do use the other red grapes, namely Triunfo and Complexa.
Bartholomew Broadbent http://www.broadbent.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Glenn E. wrote:
Bartholomew Broadbent wrote:I am particularly excited about our Broadbent Auction Reserve.
It is one of the only Ruby Reserve level Ports that I drink! I keep several half bottles around for those days when I don't want to open a full bottle of something, yet still need a glass of Port. I tried several reserves before finally stumbling upon your Auction Reserve, and it has been a staple ever since.

:thumbsup:
I love how it's easily available in half bottles. Perfect port in a pinch.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Bartholomew Broadbent

Bartholomew Broadbent wrote:
Marco D. wrote:Hi Bartholomew,

Also, what was the most memorable Madeira you recall tasting?

Thanks!
I was once sitting in my father's study when his phone rang. I answered it. The caller said "Mr. Broadbent?" I said "Yes". They proceeded "we're calling to remind you of the tasting tomorrow morning at the Museum of London". I said, "can I take a message, you are probably calling to speak to my father, what is the tasting?" He said that it was of a really old bottle of wine, carbon dated to 1670, discovered in a construction site in the City of London, buried in cold, damp, clay". I asked where the wine was from. They said that they weren't sure but it was probably from Madeira. I said "Oh, I'm in the Madeira business..." There was an awkward silence before "well, you can come along too".

OK, from the point of view of quality and enjoyability, it isn't necessarily the most memorable, it was the most unusual. It turns out that the white wine was 6.5% alcohol and didn't look older than 15 years. It had been so well protected by being buried in perfect conditions for storing wine.

The archeologists who'd been called in to examine the site found more than one bottle, the corks had not survived on the other bottles. It was, apparently, a stash belonging to a Captain in the army who was once garrisoned on the site. Some of the liquid from the bottle had been extracted with a syringe to be tested to ensure it was not poison. The bottle was opened in front of news cameras. It tasted very fresh, nobody would have guessed it to be 330 years old. My father was unimpressed by the actual wine, though I was fascinated by it.

That was in December 1999 and the next day we went to Lebanon to see Serge Hochar at Chateau Musar. It was a most memorable week. At Musar, a 1940 Musar Rose was among the more unusual wines to be tasted. Again, a wine that defied odds and was in perfect shape, tasting younger than its time.
Bartholomew Broadbent

Moses Botbol wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:
Bartholomew Broadbent wrote:I am particularly excited about our Broadbent Auction Reserve.
It is one of the only Ruby Reserve level Ports that I drink! I keep several half bottles around for those days when I don't want to open a full bottle of something, yet still need a glass of Port. I tried several reserves before finally stumbling upon your Auction Reserve, and it has been a staple ever since.

:thumbsup:
I love how it's easily available in half bottles. Perfect port in a pinch.
Unfortunately, the Auction Reserve Port isn't in the UK yet. Our importer, Berry Bros, were too off put by the bright red label. The painting on the label was done by an Australian art professor teaching in Paris. My goal, as the newest Port to be launched was to have a completely unique Port label to attract new Port drinkers. The Ferry Plaza Wine Merchant, that year voted the best wine shop in America by Food&Wine Magazine, bought the wine solely based on the fact that they loved the label. We've had many great comments about the label, though some people do hate it. It goes down very well, on balance, as does the Port. However, Berry Bros, being so traditional, refused to buy it based on the label alone, siting that it would be too much of a departure for their customers to accept. Oh well, it is a fantastic Port... England's loss!

Roy, can you paste a copy of the label to this thread and let people judge it and comment on it?
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Have to say, the label made me pass by it for years as I did not recognize it as being port from Portugal. It wasn't until I put 2 + 2 together to realize that it was your port! Broadbent does not leap out at me like the Madeira does.

I find your Auction Reserve to be more appealing than Six Grapes (not that I am buying either one frequently). I was close to buying some of your '94 Vintage but actually heard mixed reviews and price was not low enough for me to buy it regardless. Perhaps now I will buy as I have more affinity towards Broadbent products now than I did a few years ago.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Bartholomew Broadbent wrote:My goal, as the newest Port to be launched was to have a completely unique Port label to attract new Port drinkers.
I love the label! I can see how it might distract people who don't know better, but anyone who really knows what they're looking for looks for the Selo de Guarantia when trying to find real Port anyway.

I'll go take a picture of the label and upload it for others to see. :)
Glenn Elliott
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Moses Botbol wrote:I find your Auction Reserve to be more appealing than Six Grapes (not that I am buying either one frequently). I was close to buying some of your '94 Vintage but actually heard mixed reviews and price was not low enough for me to buy it regardless. Perhaps now I will buy as I have more affinity towards Broadbent products now than I did a few years ago.
I do too. I think I understand what Graham's is trying to do with Six Grapes, but for me it fits a niche that didn't need filling. I can generally find a very nice LBV for the price of Six Grapes or lower, and while it is impressive that Six Grapes can be compared to an LBV I'd ultimately rather have the LBV for less money.

I can usually find Auction Reserve for a little less than a good filtered LBV like the 2003 Taylor, and I find them comparable.

Here's what the label looks like:

Glenn Elliott
Bartholomew Broadbent

By the way, someone just posted some fun video footage of foot treading at Quinta do Crasto. It is on our Facebook..

http://www.facebook.com/broadbentselections

I hope you all become fans of that Facebook page. If you scroll back to the early day posts [from about April], there is amazing footage of driving through Douro vineyards at Crasto. It makes you giddy just watching the videos!
Bartholomew Broadbent

Moses Botbol wrote:Have to say, the label made me pass by it for years as I did not recognize it as being port from Portugal. It wasn't until I put 2 + 2 together to realize that it was your port! Broadbent does not leap out at me like the Madeira does.

I find your Auction Reserve to be more appealing than Six Grapes (not that I am buying either one frequently). I was close to buying some of your '94 Vintage but actually heard mixed reviews and price was not low enough for me to buy it regardless. Perhaps now I will buy as I have more affinity towards Broadbent products now than I did a few years ago.
To be honest, I agree with your comment on our 1994. It had a lot of bottle variation. However, when it was good it was very good. Some bottles were very disappointing and it changed so much over the course of its life. The 1997 was better but we didn't strike gold until the 2000. That was a great Port. We seem to have a very good 2003 but that was a difficult sell for all Port Shippers, including us. Unfortunately, many shops still have 1997s and 2003s available. The 2007s seem to have been launched more successfully by the big Port Shippers. We are doing a soft launch of Ferreira, Quinta do Crasto and Broadbent because there is so little of each one available. However, they should be worth seeking...
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Bartholomew,

You're Vinha Verde is one that I've enjoyed a lot and I buy some every year for a nice chilled summer drink. Is there any plans on doing a red Vinha Verde under the Broadbent label?
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Marco D.
Location: Milford, Connecticut, United States of America - USA

Post by Marco D. »

Speaking of Vinho Verde, I was wondering if Bartholomew has tried many Sparkling (Espumante) Vinho Verde and what his opinion of them are. Seems to be tough to find in the US.
Marco DeFreitas Connecticut, USA
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

It is now generally accepted by all the Madeira shippers that Negra Mole is one of the classic grapes, along with Sercial, Verdelho, Bual, Malmsey, Terrantez [and, in the past, Moscatel and Bastardo]. Negra Mole is the only classic grape that is red, but we do use the other red grapes, namely Triunfo and Complexa.
I agree. I've had some wonderful Negra Mole. How much of the nonclassic, but accepted varieties, is grown?
I was once sitting in my father's study when his phone rang. I answered it. The caller said "Mr. Broadbent?" I said "Yes". They proceeded "we're calling to remind you of the tasting tomorrow morning at the Museum of London". I said, "can I take a message, you are probably calling to speak to my father, what is the tasting?" He said that it was of a really old bottle of wine, carbon dated to 1670, discovered in a construction site in the City of London, buried in cold, damp, clay". I asked where the wine was from. They said that they weren't sure but it was probably from Madeira. I said "Oh, I'm in the Madeira business..." There was an awkward silence before "well, you can come along too".
I remember reading about this discovery in Decanter.
What a great story! [cheers.gif]
Bartholomew Broadbent

Andy Velebil wrote:Bartholomew,

You're Vinha Verde is one that I've enjoyed a lot and I buy some every year for a nice chilled summer drink. Is there any plans on doing a red Vinha Verde under the Broadbent label?
Our Broadbent Vinho Verde has become one of our two biggest selling wines, the biggest is Spy Valley Sauvignon Blanc.

No plans to do a red Vinho Verde, even though they sell well in Portugal, it doesn't have a big market in the United States.

Talking of label designs, I think our Vinho Verde is one of our best. Can someone post a picture of it? It was painted by my niece when she was four!
Bartholomew Broadbent

Marco D. wrote:Speaking of Vinho Verde, I was wondering if Bartholomew has tried many Sparkling (Espumante) Vinho Verde and what his opinion of them are. Seems to be tough to find in the US.
I haven't had full on Sparkling Vinho Verde but the classic Vinho Verde has a spritz and that is the style of our Broadbent one. It has been used at weddings instead of Champagne or sparkling wine. We import it in refer containers, so it maintains the freshness and fizz.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

I think I see a future for your niece!
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Any chance you'd get more involved into Madeira market for Eastern Canada? The SAQ and LCBO, the 2 biggest market in Canada for wines have almost nothing interesting to offer.

Is the final blend for your Broadbent's Douro wine completed?

Regards

Fred
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Bartholomew,

What are your thoughts on the Beneficio? It's a political hot potato for sure and no doubt needs some kind of overhaul. Some producers have even gone on a limb and said it may not survive another decade. What do you think of the current system and is it still effective?

How do you see the rise of Douro wines affecting the production of Port, or vice versa?

many thanks
andy
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Bartholomew Broadbent wrote:Talking of label designs, I think our Vinho Verde is one of our best. Can someone post a picture of it? It was painted by my niece when she was four!
Wow, what a talent! You should have her do a new label every vintage like Lafite!
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Moses Botbol wrote:
Bartholomew Broadbent wrote:Talking of label designs, I think our Vinho Verde is one of our best. Can someone post a picture of it? It was painted by my niece when she was four!
Wow, what a talent! You should have her do a new label every vintage like Lafite!
Mouton :)
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Frederick Blais wrote: Mouton :)
Yes, you caught me pre-coffee this morning. [dash1.gif]

I often confuse the two.