GEORGE SANDEMAN - April's Forum Guest Corner Host

Join in on discussions with winemakers and other personalities in the Port, Madeira and Douro Wine trades.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh

Symon B

Re: George Sandeman - April's Forum Guest Corner Host

Post by Symon B »

hi george thankyou very much re the 1950 il try to get some but i think its scarse also i will look to try the 1945 sandeman one day thankyou for some fab insights it has been an honour for us all to talk to you symonb
o one more quickie
were there mags of 1963 ore earlier made please i know fon and [cheers.gif] [help.gif] :yumyum: :thanks: :clap: taylor did some 70 mags cheers
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

If I can place a final question :)

What are your thoughts about Touriga Nacional. Is there too much, not enough, increase quality when blended properly or should there be more 100% TN wines.
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
George Sandeman

Post by George Sandeman »

Dear Symon B

Thanks for your kind comments and good luck on finding both the ’50 and ’45 Sandeman.

Sandeman bottled Magnums in most Vintages, usually a small quantity of 1200 to 1800 bottles of 1.5L.

In 2003 and 2007 we didn’t bottle magnums.

All best
George
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

George Sandeman wrote: In 2003 and 2007 we didn’t bottle magnums.

All best
George
May I ask why no mags in these two vintages? You do realize Julian Wiseman will now be stocking you until you do [help.gif]
thanks
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
George Sandeman

Dear Frederick

There is a lot of “buzz” about Touriga Nacional, which is natural when people try and simplify the wide range of grape varieties into a couple of memorable names.

There is no doubt that it is a variety which contributes greatly to classic Vintage Port as well as a number of Douro wines.

Recently there has been an interest in single variety wines using Touriga Nacional (which is not permitted for Port) but I believe that the long term the classical blends will win out.

All best
George
George Sandeman

Roy,

The renaissance of Douro wines is a natural process, influenced by the restructuring of vineyards, increase in modern winemaking technology and methods and the increased interest by wine writers and consumers.

It has taken us back to before the demarcation, to what the Douro was known for before Port wine, full bodied, rich, complex wines, dry, and today with a balance and finesse that makes them classic.

There is no reason for the two wines to co-exist, and very few of the leading shippers don’t make and sell Douro wine.

The smaller grower producers will no doubt be looking for the combination Port & Douro will help them through this rough patch.

All best
George
George Sandeman

Roy,
Its Monday morning in Porto (:30h), and this great on line get together is coming to an end.

I hope I got to everyone’s questions : I owe Derek and answer on JEROPIGA which I will send (or post if still open) later today, after confirming the regulation (which I couldn’t find on my computer!).

I hope that my contributions was of use to those who read them. I should stess that while I have tried to be as accurate and politically correct as possible, any errors (for which I apologise) and “incorrectness” (which I don’t) are my responsibility and do not reflect the opinions of any one else!

I have so many opinions, why should I express those of others!

The future of the Port trade depends on the great work done by people such as yourself and those linked to FTLOP, BUT besides turning people onto Vintage Port and Aged Tawnies, we need to preach the word about entry level Port, Reserves, young Ports chilled, over ice, with chocolate, with steak!!

We need to have people understand that Port has a wide range of flavours, which can be enjoyed in an informal way.

On Friday night we had friends over for a casual supper (stuffed squid, mashed potatoes, Framingham NZ Dry Riesling, home made orange ice cream) on the veranda of our apartment because it was the first fine evening we have had this year. We finished of with a bottle of 1997 Vau Vintage which I had decanted and stuck in the chiller. My friend, who was in the Port trade, commented that the wine was cold, and the wine tasted so good that five of us finished the decanter rapidly. No formality, just enjoyment!

Roy, thanks for the opportunity – its been fun!
See you real soon,

All best
George
George Sandeman

Andy Velebil wrote:
George Sandeman wrote: May I ask why no mags in these two vintages? You do realize Julian Wiseman will now be stocking you until you do [help.gif]
thanks
Andy,

As you know, the bottling peiod for Vintage is between the 2nd and 3rd year - and all the 2007 is already bottled!

So I can't help Julian on this one!

all best
George
Peter W. Meek

Post by Peter W. Meek »

George Sandeman wrote:...I have so many opinions, why should I express those of others!...
I'm adding this to my list of random signatures. (Properly credited, of course.)

That's one of the two most perfect expressions of how I try to run my life. The other one was something I cribbed from a Tom Robbins book: "If there was something I'd rather be doing, I'd be doing it."

Thank you, George. It's been a great week.
--Pete
(Sesquipedalian Man)
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Thanks for a fun and very informative week, George. I look forward to reading about Jeropiga sometime soon :wink:

Regards
Derek
George Sandeman

Dear Derek

.....and here it is!

The use of this very sweet wine was traditional for centuries.

Although sometimes abused in the past when added to dry wines with the objective of having them classified as Port, jeropiga is not an adulteration.

It is natural grape must which has virtually no fermentation due to the addition wine alcohol (the same used in making fortified must), thereby retaining all of the natural grape sugar.

It was usually made in the hotter regions and I particularly remember it at our winery in Pocinho many years ago (35+) , and made in both red and white styles.

It was used to adjust the sweetness of blends, usually of the more basic wines. With the improved farming and winemaking practices it has become redundant.

Considered a “fortified wine” - of which in the Douro it is only legal to produce Port - today it is neither contemplated by law – or made – in the Douro region. Nor may it be added to wines destined for approval as Port.

Other regions of Portugal still produce jeropiga - which is bottled and labelled as a type of sweet fortified wine without denomination of origin.

All best
George
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Dear George,

This has been an absolutely brilliant week, a ton of fun and not only helpful, but your responses in this thread will provide a lasting legacy and a great read for years to come. This little section of ours, is going to provide a slice of what the state of the Port trade was like when people look back on this years from now. I truly appreciate all of the time, energy and humor you brought with your great responses to so many "tough" questions.

Thank you for making this past week very special for lots of people who do not get to communicate directly with the Port trade. I look forward to seeing you in a month from now!

Best regards,

Roy and the :ftlop: team!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com