DIRK NIEPOORT - May's Forum Guest Corner Host

Join in on discussions with winemakers and other personalities in the Port, Madeira and Douro Wine trades.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh

dirk niepoort

Re: Dirk Niepoort - May's Forum Guest Corner Host

Post by dirk niepoort »

Hi Dirk -

It's no secret that you've been known as an innovator in the Douro. Come on now - Riesling and Pinot Noir? From the Douro?

I was wondering which of your projects has been personally the most exciting for you?

PS - I'll return your truck when I visit you in two weeks ------------------------->Stewart T. (Admin) [email protected]
Stewart T.

HI STEWART,

WE HAVE TO LEARN MORE AND MORE ABOUT THE AMAZING POTENCIAL WE HAVE IN THE DOURO.
THE RIESLING AND PINOT NOIR ARE STUPID THINGS ONE HAS TO DO. BUT IT IS FUN DOING THEM...AND AGAIN ONE LEARNS A LOT ABOUT THE DOURO BY DOING SOME LITTLE STUPID TRIALS.
THE PN WAS ME WHO PLANTED IT IN 99 BUT THE RIESLING ACTUALLY WAS PLANTED FOR COCKBURNS AROUND 20 YEARS AGO. WE JUST BUY IN THE GRAPES (AT 800 METERS) .

I MUST CONFESS THE I DO LIKE THE P N 06 AND SOME OF THE RIESLINGS WE HAVEBEEN MAKING BUT THE MOST AMAZING LITTLE PROJECT HAS BEEN A RED WINE FROM RIBEIRA SACRA CALLED LADREDO FROM 2008. IT IS MADE FROM ALICANTE AND MENCILLA. AMAZING
made with some little help from our friend raul perez.

also amazing is a fortified wine made in south africa with eben sadie. we just bottled the 2008 and it is stunning.
but it is not port

looking forward meeting you
dirk
dirk niepoort

Post by dirk niepoort »

Welcome to

Can you please let us know what your long-term plans are for Niepoort Pisca? Do you plan to make this an established Niepoort brand or is it one of your infamous experiments?

Although I have heard you explain the concept before I think it would be useful for others here to have the background to this project and what it is you have set out to achieve.

I will try to think of a slightly more difficult question for tomorrow (I will save "what are the benefits and disadvantages of IVDP Regulation?" until later in the week)

Derek

Dear derek,

you are most kind to pospone the ( will save "what are the benefits and disadvantages of IVDP Regulation?" ) for later....

pisca is one of my dream vineyards. since a long time I have two dream quintas in the douro with which i would love to make the wines from
the second quinta we might make a lease for 25 years in the near future.
pisca we made a contract in 2003 and finelly bought it in 2009.
it is a vineyard that has been part of our vintage port for many decades and it really makes the best ports year after year for us. it is really very special.
2007 was the first year where the production was a bit more even and we ended up making about 15 000 liters (from 5.5 hectares with a density of 7 000 vines per hectare) in the years before we only got aout one third out of the same vinyard. the vineyards was really in very bad shape.

while making the blend of the niepoort vintage we fell in love the parts of the pisca and decided to keep about 3 500 liters aside.
the main reason was also that I wanted to go even further in making really old time / old style port:
100 % stems made in lagares (niepoort vintage is also like that), but pisca is aged in pipes for almost 3 years. i believe that by doing so we loose some fresh fruit but it will stabilise the wine much better making it a lot ageworthy
pisca is also been aged in the douro with perfect conditions in the new winery and from 2008 on it will also be bottled in the douro (the 2007 was bottled in gaia).

I m very exited about it . we will have to wait and see how things go but it is looking really very good indeed. have you tasted it???

regards
dirk
dirk niepoort

Post by dirk niepoort »

Hello Dirk,
I am the "infamous" Melanie who was the writer of the Question for the Port Trade in the most recent FTLOP newsletter (the question was regarding what is being done to market Port to younger adult consumers). I was curious about your mention of the comic book about Port that is being released. Can you tell us more about this book? Where will it be distributed? I would be interested to see a copy if they are being made available in the US.

Thank you.Blessed are we who can laugh at ourselves, for we shall never cease to be amused.Melanie R.

DEAR MELANIE,

I WOULD BE MOST HAPPY TO SEND YOU OR INFACT ANYBODY WHO WANTS ONE COPY OF THE BOOK.

regina pessoa is an amazing portuguese artist who makes animated movies. we met her and showed her our portworld and funny enough she came up with some ideas that were exactly the same that I had (like using alice in wonderlandstory ).
so basically she made a story explaining what the difference is between a ruby and a tawny.
I simplyfied the world of port into 3 categories:
the white
the rubies = LBV vintage
the tawnies= 10, 20 , 30 and 40 years old and the colheitas

the story is off course quite intelectual but the text that she writes is stuning. from a naive consumer to the naive consumer. beautifull

so let me know your adressen and we will send you a copy

dirk
dirk niepoort

Post by dirk niepoort »

Hello Dirk!

dear rune,

I had the pleasure of participating in the limited group February 2007 in Oslo, Norway, when you had a lecture and tasting of Douro red / white Douro wines and various very nice ports. Very interesting, and an experience I have brought with me later on. I have a few questions related to your various projects.
1) On the Niepoort web site there is "projectos" newsletter, but it seems to be only in Portuguese
Do you issue this newsletter also in English? NO IT IS ONLY IN PORTUGUESE....SORRY time seems to be our big problem but we will eventually have it translated. PROJECTOS is also our "wine shop" for selling our experimental wines and for the moment we are almos only selling them in portugal (for logistic reasons. we are also the importer for some nice producers from around the world and some of them expect us to only sell their wines in portugal (like leflaive, roulot, DRC, haag, egon mueller, jamet , clape etc etc etc )...
2) I have noticed that you recently released the Niepoort Pisca Vintage Port 2007. Is this Pisca-release the start of making something similar to Quinta do Noval
Nacional (very small quanity and very high quality), or is it more the different way of making it that is the purpose of making a separate label?
TO ACHIEVE THE LEVEL OF NOVAL WOULD BE NICE. IT IS A PARTICULARLY OUTSTANDING VINEYARD WITH A LOT OF CHARACTER. WE WILL HAVE TO SEE HOW IT AGES AND WHAT HAPPENS TO IT IN THE FUTURE. BUT THE MAIN REASON IS LINKING A GREAT TERROIR WITH THE VERY ANCIENT WAY OF MAKING VINTAGE PORTS. SO IT ACTUALLY IS GOING BACK TO THE PAST (WITH IDEAL AGING CONDITIONS).
BUT YOU ARE RIGHT WHEN YOU SAY (very small quanity and very high quality), THAT´S EXACTLY WHAT WE ARE AIMING AT.
3) The two State Wine Monopoly shops here in Norway will on Thursday 6th May provide (in limited quantities) various Niepoort red wines that have not been sold here before. One is Niepoort Omlet 2005. You have written some wrods abt this wine under you "projectos" site, but only in Portuguese. Is this a project only for 2005, and what was special with this wine?
OMLET means telmo written the other way round.
this is a wine that we made with telmo rodrigues from spain.
it has been a very rewarding experience for us. I m convinced that we have learned a lot by making this wine telmos way.
the first wine was a 2004 that we infact never bottled. so the first omlet is the 2005. we also made and bottled a 2007 omlet (no 2006) and will keep on making more. the 2009 is showing really well (he gave finelly up on his barriques (which we like less) and now it is sleeping in two little old ovals (1 200 liters).
what I learned with telmo was that less sometimes is more. basically since 2004 we literatlly almost don t do any extractions on the red wines (but we do vey long skin contacts). telmo is a fantastic intelectual person (his winemaking partner is also a fantastic character).
the grapes are from the douro. in fact always from two quite high vineyards in the cima corgo. (over 60 years old)

4) I have purchased some bottles of two of your Austrian red wines, the Spitzerberg and the Carnuntum, and they are very nice / different / interesting wines. Have noticed that there are more red wines and also a white wine coming out of your Austrian project. Will the Austrian production continue under your supervision? YES, I´M SEPARATED FROM DORLI BUT WE CONTINUE THE PROJECT. I´M INFACT TOTALLY IN LOVE WITH THE "terroir" of spitzerberg.
stuning soils, conditions and the most interesting and fine grapevariety blaufraenkisch.
we also do a syrah (which it is from very young vines ) that promises to be superb and a red called rote erde (red soil) which is basically a mixture of cabernet franc and the terrible grape merlot.
the whites are not really that great except for the 2008 which was made mostly by craig (who is from south africa ) in a more excentric way but turned out much better than the shit I was making before.

regards from the douro
dirk

Best regards
Rune E. Gustavsen
NorwayRune EG
dirk niepoort

Post by dirk niepoort »

Dear Dirk,

boas tardes,

My introduction into the wonderful world of Port was principally framed by Niepoort Colheita, by far my father's favourite Port. In the past few years I have been buying Port both for myself and my father. It is incredibly frustrating to buy Port when one lives in Portugal because there is very little variety and older bottles are too expensive... My best options are in the UK where I need to ship it back (which is what I frequently end up doing).

I am well aware that the Port industry started out as an export industry. Even though I have a stated self interest, my question is: shouldn't it be important for the industry to have the Portuguese as a whole to drink, be knowledgeable, and preach about Port?
OH DEAR,

HOW RIGHT YOU ARE.
IT SHOULD BE IMPORTANT AND INFACT EVEN THOUGH i FULLY AGREE WITH YOU I FEEL THAT THE PORTUGUESE ARE A LITTLE BIT MORE INTERESTED IN PORT THAN THEY WERE.
AS YOU SAY FOR THE PORTUGUESE PORT WAS SOMETHNG FOR THE FOREIGNER (TO BE EXPORTET).
INFACT , it is curious to note that all portuguese feel proud of the port but always assume that it is for the others to drink.
but it is not easy and as you say the ports are cheaper usually in the uk than in portugal. infact I m just about to buy a little parcel of ports fromthe 60'´s to put in our site projectos.
I´m glad that your father and you like port so much.
please let me know if you want to come and visit us in the douro.

abraco
dirk

Thanks (waiting for the 1977 Garrafeira...)

DanielDaniel R.
dirk niepoort

Post by dirk niepoort »

Hello Dirk,
Thank you for participating here.
I think everyone knows that you drink a wide variety of wines from around the world. Who are your favorite producers and do they somehow influence or inspire your winemaking?
Eric Ifune

DEAR ERIC,

yes, I usually don t drink my own wines (I drink them already too many times during tastings and presentations). at home I don t have much of our wines.

my favourite are clearly:

mosel: fritz haag, egon mueller , jj pruem .........and a lot of others

burgundy: coche dury, roulot, bernard morey, hubert lamy. leflaive......DRC, leroy, roumier, emanuel rouget, armand rousseau, mugnier.......

rhone: jamet, clape, chave, alain graillot.............

spain, the wines of raul perez

SA: eben sadie

austria, wachter wiesler, loimer, peter malberg, ......

italy: giacosa, conterno.....

and basically I like good wines from anywhere.
BUT I don t like big heavy alcoholic overextracted wines.
and I love port

dirk
dirk niepoort

Post by dirk niepoort »

Hello Dirk, and welcome.
I'm a fan of your great Ports, and I'm looking forward to get some of your more exclusive Douro wines, as they finally become available here in Norway (some in very limited amounts, I think).

I read a lot of reviews from other wine lovers and experts, but I also like to hear the winemaker's view on what is the ideal drinking window for an ageworthy wine, in this case the 2005 and 2007 Vintage Ports, the only ones I have in my cellar at the moment. What is your opinion on this?

Thank you for taking some time to join us Port maniacs. very imPORTant person
Espen S.

dear espen,

basically I think that vintage ports are best after many years.....depending on the vintage after 30 years on other vintages after 40 or 50 years.

but I also like to drink port very young. the first 10 years the ports tend to taste quite spectacular with all the vibrant fruits and freshness.
the worst time is between 12 and 30 years. the wines close down and are most unfriendly and really not good. some of them you could not forsee that they would ever become good.
the 1983 are a good example of wines that for many years were really dull, thin and short and now they are drinkin wonderfully and will grow more and more over the next decades.

the 1977 are still closed and not good at all. the 1970 are getting better and better (one of my favourite vintage for almos any house)

regards
dirk
dirk niepoort

Post by dirk niepoort »

Hello Dirk,
Thank you for participating here.
I think everyone knows that you drink a wide variety of wines from around the world. Who are your favorite producers and do they somehow influence or inspire your winemaking?

high eric again,

THE PRODUCERS INSPIRE ME A LOT . THEY ARE THE ESSENCE OF ALL MY INSPIRATIONS. THEY MAKE LIFE FOR ME SO GOOD.
dirk
dirk niepoort

Post by dirk niepoort »

Hallo Dirk,

schön, dass du hier bist!

HALLO MICHAEL,
SCHOEN HIER ZU SEIN.

I do have a Pisca related question. By most of the professional journos 2007 Niepoort Pisca VP is regarded to mature considarably earlier than the 2007 Niepoort VP. I was very impressed about the elegance and the both polished and powerful tannins of 2007 Pisca VP. My idea was when I tasted 2007 Pisca VP and 2007 Niepoort VP side by side over a period of 4 days in February that the Pisca was pretty closed at the moment and a lot of its substance seemed to be covered by those mighty tannins. My impression was that Pisca seems to have the composition to go the long way.

What do you think about regarding the 2007 Niepoort VP superior to the 2007 Pisca VP? Would you say that there is a significant difference in potential? Or is it just a question of different style/philosophy?

I DON T KNOW I DON T KNOW

THEY ARE QUITE DIFFERENT YET BOTH VERY MUCH NIEPOORT IN STYLE.
I M A LITTLE OBCESSED WITH MAKING WINES THAT HAVE ELEGANCE, BALANCE AND FINESSE ......BUT I LIKE WINES THAT HAVE LONG LENGHT, INTENSITY AND GREAT CONCENTRATION.
COMBINING ALL THESE FACTORS IS THE DIFICULT JOB.

THE NIEPOORT 2007 IS ONE OF THE MST TANIC WINES OF ALL THE 07´but it has an elegance and balance that I have never seen in a port before.
I think it will age very very well but always be a perfect bailarina

the pisca is bigger with bigger tanins but because it went through more controled oxidation seem weaker and softer.

in reality I think that in some years time the pisca will be a huge powerfull wine. less elegant than the niepoort but more powerfull and posibly outlive the niepoort (but not really....it will just be more impressiv the niepoort will probably be the fresher and more vibrant....

but we will have to wait and see....

i m looking forward tasting them in 30 years

dirk

BTW: 1992 Niepoort VP was my first Vintage Port in my cellar .

Viele Grüße
MichaelShut Up 'N Drink Yer PortMichael M.
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

dirk niepoort wrote:Pisca...I m very exited about it . we will have to wait and see how things go but it is looking really very good indeed. have you tasted it???
I am glad to hear it is going well. I tasted the 2007 at The Big Fortified Tasting in London a couple of weeks ago - very nice juice!! I also look forward to tasting the sample of 2008 soon :wink:
dirk niepoort wrote:you are most kind to pospone the ( will save "what are the benefits and disadvantages of IVDP Regulation?" ) for later....
Well, now that you have warmed-up it's time for me to stop being kind:

What do you think are the advantages and disadvantages of IVDP Regulation of the trade and if you were given supreme power over the IVDP for a day which 3 things would you change about the way the industry and the products are controlled?
dirk niepoort

Post by dirk niepoort »

Dirk,
dear rob,

On Thursday night, a few friends and I plan to conduct a "UK election year" vertical tasting as we await the results of our general election.

Although Niepoort is just about the only house I can think of for which we could get a full vertical of quality port (using Colheitas for '74 and '79, the Secundum for '01 and VPs for '70, '83, '87, '92, '97 and '05), we thought this a bit ambitious for a weekday and plan to choose just one of these for a more modest mixed line-up with other producers.

Out of the '87, '92 and '97 Niepoort VPs, which do you think would be drinking best right now, or are any of those vintages best avoided for the moment (eg: because one of those wines has a much greater potential to develop than the others or is in a closed phase)?
I WOULD CLEARLY SUGEST THE 87 WHICH IS DRINKING BEAUTIFULL NOW. INFACT THE 87 IS ONE OF THE FEW VINTAGE PORTS THAT NEVER REALLY CLOSED DOWN AND SHOWS WELL. VERY EARTHEY AND PEPPERY. ONE OF MY ALTIMES FAVOURITE IS THE FONSECA 85 WHICH ALWAYS HAS BEEN A MIRACLE. IT IS NOW IN ITS WORCE PHASE BUT STILL FANTASTIC.

I'd also be intrigued to know whether there are any plans over the next 5 years or so to release a garrafeira port and what is your criteria for deciding that it is the right time? [EDIT: sorry, posted in wrong place initially and i see that there has already been a lot of interest in this topic up-thread!] NO PROBLEM,

WE WILL RELEASE THE GARRAFEIRA 1977 EITHER AT THE END OF THIS YEAR OR IN THE BEGINING OF NEXT YEAR. I BELIEVE WE BOTTLED IT 4 YEARS AGO (DECANTED IT FROM THE DEMIJONS INTO THE NIEPOORT BOTTLE). i SHOULD TASTE ONE SOON TO SEE IF IT GETTING READY.

THE PROBLEM IS THAT AFTER DECANTING THE WINE IT REALLY BECOMES DUMM FOR SOME YEARS (USUALLY 3 TO 4 YEARS) BECAUSE OF THE OXIDATION DURING THE RACKING AND BOTTLING. BUT AFTER A FUNKY PHASE IT RECOVERS TOTALLY. IT SHOULD BE TASTING BEAUTIFULLY NOW.

regards
dirk

Many thanks!
Rob
dirk niepoort

Post by dirk niepoort »

Welcome Dirk,

I'm a big fan of both Niepoort VPs & colheitas (although I have not had the chance to try a garrafeira as of yet). I was wondering what your thoughts might be concerning the future of the Port industry. Recently there has been a movement by other Port shipping firms to introduce new products into the marketplace (presumably to gain market share) and a result the number Port options available to consumers has become much broader. Do you think that diversity in product offerings is the key to growth in the near term? Thanks!

Marc

dear marc,

thats a tough question. unfortunatly most of the new products offerings (as you call them) are exactly that; products not really wines / ports. most of them are marketing gigs and not really interesting offers. I believe in diversity but of real wines and not of just fancy smancy.
I believe that there are lots of little details that can be fine tuned and we should concentrate on making better ports not just more beautiful ports that are easier to drink. time will tell.
I will think a little bit more about this subject and maybe come back to you. it is not easy to give a quick answer.

regards
dirk
dirk niepoort

Post by dirk niepoort »

dirk niepoort wrote:
Pisca...I m very exited about it . we will have to wait and see how things go but it is looking really very good indeed. have you tasted it???
I am glad to hear it is going well. I tasted the 2007 at The Big Fortified Tasting in London a couple of weeks ago - very nice juice!! I also look forward to tasting the sample of 2008 soon

dirk niepoort wrote:
you are most kind to pospone the ( will save "what are the benefits and disadvantages of IVDP Regulation?" ) for later....
Well, now that you have warmed-up it's time for me to stop being kind:

What do you think are the advantages and disadvantages of IVDP Regulation of the trade and if you were given supreme power over the IVDP for a day which 3 things would you change about the way the industry and the products are controlled?

basically if I was given the supreme power for a day I wouldn´t change a thing. changes require time / patience / and long term thinking.
BASICALLY WHEN SOMETHING IS SUCCESSFULL USUALLY A LOT OF PEOPLE WANT TO MISSUSE IT TO MAKE MONEY. SO SOME CONTROL IS NEEDED.
WHAT i THINK IS WRONG THESE DAYS ISN T ACTUALLY THE FAULT OF THE IVDP. THE PORTHOUSES ARE GETTING BIGGER AND BIGGER AND MORE AND MORE RULED BY FINANCIAL PERSONS. THE GOOD NAME THAT PORT HAS IS DUE TO LONGTIME THINKING AND FAMILIES INVESTING TIME AND MONEY ON THE QUALITY OF THE PORT AND ALSO COMUNICATING THE STORY AND FANTASTIC QUALITY . THESE DAYS I SEE MORE AND MORE BIG CAMPAIGNS WITH LOTS OF BUDGET FOR SELLING PORTS BUT NO INVESTMENT IN PROMOTING THE QUALITY OF THE PORT. AND ALMOST ALL THE CAMPAIGNS ARE AGRESSIV AND BASED ON DROPPING THE PRICES.
THE IVDP SHOULD DO MORE MARKETING ABOUT TELLING THE PEOPLE WHAT PORT IS ALL ABOUT.
THEY HAVE RECENTLY STARTED A LITTLE SERIES OF TASTING FOR JORNALIST OF GREAT VINTAGE PORTS FROM LAST CENTURY. IT WAS A SUCCESS. IT WAS ALL ABOUT SHOWING THE GREATNESS OF AGED VINTAGE PORT AND NOT ABOUT WHICH HOUSE IS BETTER
ITS GREAT TO HAVE SUCH A FANTASTIC HISTORY BEHING US.
CHEERS WITH A GLAS OF PORT
dirk
Symon B

Post by Symon B »

hi dirk
1 how rare is the 1945 niepoort vp and why was the 1945 small style bottle stopped for the taller bottle?
2 when was the 1912 colhieta bottled was it several bottlings over the years ore just a modern bottling?

Edited by Roy Hersh - see my email for explanation.
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

dirk niepoort wrote:1964 WAS PARTICULARLY GOOD FOR PEOPLE MORE THAN FOR THE WINES.....i was born in 64 but produced in 1963 (as my birthday is in march).
We are of the same vintage, though you pre-date me by a few months. My birthday is in August right before the harvest.

It is difficult to find 1964 Ports in the US other than the Noval Colheita and the Krohn Colheita Branco. (Both very good, I think.) But that's what makes finding the rare bottles like your Garrafeira so much more exciting! I've only ever seen one, though, and that one was in Portugal so I couldn't order it.

Has it all been sold?
dirk niepoort wrote:garrafeiras are lower in colour than the vintage but usually have a beautifull fresh colour. in the nose the garrafeiras usually have vibrant red fruits junping out of the glas. the tanins are less than in vintage but firm and vibrating. the aftertaste is less brutal but very very long and fine. it gives you the feeling that you have to drink more and more...
They sound fabulous to me. The softer tannins and long, fine aftertaste sound like a very mature Vintage Port which is how I like them. I will keep watch for the release of the 1977 and with luck will be able to secure a few bottles.
dirk niepoort wrote:HOPE TO SEE YOU SOONER THAN LATER
If we both work on Roy, perhaps we can convince him that the Harvest Tour needs to visit one of your facilities this year. I plan to be on the tour and would love to meet you in person then!

:thanks:
Glenn Elliott
Frederick Blais

Post by Frederick Blais »

Dear Dirk,

Thanks for taking the time to answer the many questions on FTLOP. Here's mine :)

1- Did you have any mentor when you started making Port/Wine and do you still have one nowadays? If there was any, how important was it for you.

2- What growth is your company expecting over the years. Planning to build steady on years to years or once you reach a point you'll stay to that volume?

Abraço,

Fred
Living the dream and now working for a Port company
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Dirk,

You mentioned your favorite Vintage Ports from Niepoort which I was pleased to be able to taste some years back, would you also please share which are your favorite Colheitas?

Additionally, what are a few standout Vintage Ports that you've enjoyed, which are not from your own company?

Thanks for your amazing responses to the many questions that awaited you yesterday! :thumbsup:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
dirk niepoort

Post by dirk niepoort »

GOOD MORNING, in this part of the world,

1 how rare is the 1945 niepoort vp and how maney do you have at the winery
IT IS VERY RARE INDEED. WE STILL HAVE A FEW BTS BUT VERY FEW (don t know exactly) . THEY SHOW UP RARELY IN ACTION. THE ONLY PLACE THAT I BELIEVE HAS SOME IS A SHOP IN LISBON CALLED GARRAFEIRA NACIONAL

2 when was the 1912 colhieta bottled was it several bottlings over the years ore just a modern bottling and how maney at the winery
I DON T KNOW HOW MANY BOTTLINGS THERE WERE OF THE 1912. I BELIEVE THE LAST BOTTLING WAS IN 1972. IT IS A FANTASTIC PORT THAT I HAVE TASTED ONLY 3 TIMES MYSELF. I DON T KNOW HOW MANYE BTS WE HAVE BUT NOT MANY......
3 is the 1912 colhieta the finest ever made
ACORDING TO MY FATHER THE 1908 WAS THE FINEST. 1900 IS ALSO STUNNING. THE 1900 I HAVE TASTED MANY TIMES ...THE 1908 ONLY TWICE....AMAZING

4 were there mags of niepoort vp made before and inc 1970
NO, ONLY LITER BTS ON THE 1942 (FANTASTIC VINTAGE PORT). VERY CLOSE TO PERFECTION. MY FATHER STARTED BOTTLING MAGNUNGS FROM VINTAGE 1977 (BECAUSE OF OUT THEN IMPORTER IN BELGIUM).
5 why was the 1945 small style bottle stopped for the taller bottle
THAT IS A GOOD QUESTION. I HAVE THE FEELING MY FATHER USED DIFFERENT BTS DEPENDING ON HIS MOOD. I ACTUALLY FORCED HIM TO MAKE A DECISION AND USE ONLY ONE BT FOR THE VINTAGE PORT (THE NIEPOORT BT). THE SMALL STYLE BT WAS MAINLY STOPPED BECAUSE THAT BEAUTIFULL MODEL WAS NOT MADE ANYMORE. THE NEW MODEL WE RECEIVED WERE NOT BEAUTIFULL ANYMORE
6 do you use a high grade cork in modern bottlings and are there diferent qualitys of corks available to the portmaker
THERE ARE MANY MANY DIFFERENT QUALITIES AVAILABLE. FOR VINTAGE PORTS WE USE THE BEST WE CAN GET ( F L O R )

7 will you ever bring wax blob tops back and leaded capsules and straw in the boxes

I REALLY LIKE WAX ON TOP BUT THEY ARE A REAL PAIN IN THE ASS AND MAKE A BIG MESS. WE ARE STARTING TO USE A SPECIAL WAX THAT DOESN T BREAK AND THERFORE DOSN T MAKE A MESS (IT BEHAVES SORT OF LIKE IF IT WAS MADE OUT OF PLASTIC) ON SOME SMALL VOLUME WINES (LIKE LADREDO, CAPE CHARM-----). WE ALMOST USED IT ON THE PISCA 2007.....but the pisca just flew out of our lodge and we had made some special capsulues for it so that by the time I wanted to do it half the quantity of pisca had already been sold.....
leaded capsules are iligal...so no we will not use them.
we haven t used straw boxes for 30 years...i woulnd even know where to get the straw.... but it does look nice.

i thank you symonb
ps can portlovers order mags direct from the winery and pay upfrount if they spend over 1000ds etc

WE USUALLY DON T SELL AT THE WINERY
BUT IF YOU COME COLECT IT YOURSELF WE MIGHT MAKE AN EXCEPTION.

regards
dirk
dirk niepoort

Post by dirk niepoort »

Thanks for taking the time to answer the many questions on FTLOP. Here's mine :)
good morning frederick,
nice to hear from you.

1- Did you have any mentor when you started making Port/Wine and do you still have one nowadays? If there was any, how important was it for you.

YES YES , I HAD BASICALLY TWO MENTOR.
THE MOST IMPORTANT WAS OUR CELLAR MASTER, SR JOSE (WHO DIED RECENTLY) WITH WHO I USED TO SPEND A LOT OF TIME IN THE CELLAR TASTING PORTS. HE TOUGHT ME THE ART OF BLENDING. MORE THAN JUST BEING AN ART ON TASTING , IN MY OPINION IT IS A MENTAL ACT. TO BE A GOOD BLENDER ONE HAS TO THINK DIFFERENT. THAT S WHY WITH BLENDING 2 + 2 CAN = 10 (NOT ONLY 4).

THE OTHER MOST IMPORTANT PERSON WAS BRUCE GUIMARAES WITH WHO i HAD THE PLEASURE OF DRINKING MANY WONDERFULL PORTS.
HE WAS FOR ME THE MOST KNOWLEDGEABLE PERSON OF THE DOURO. he know where the great vineyards in the douro were. nobody knew the douro as well as he did. and he loved port.
i always wanted to be like him
at least now I m getting more and more his size.........:)

2- What growth is your company expecting over the years. Planning to build steady on years to years or once you reach a point you'll stay to that volume?
INTERESTING QUESTION.
WE ARE GROWING TOO FAST. i LIKE TO SAY THAT WE ARE LUCKY THAT THE CRISIS ARRIVED OTHERWISE IT WOULD BE A DESASTER FOR US (we would sell far too much and get out of control)

we have now the size for port that i would like to have. the idea is to concentrate on what we are doing and making things even better. in the last 2 years I have dedicated a lot of time to small details and making some experiments.
on the wine side we are growing too much. building the new winery in 2007 (it took me 9 years of planing) was fantastic and it has helped us to make much better wines. I believe that ALL our wines are on a different league since the 2007 vintage.

but lets face it; HAVING TOO MANY ORDERS OF ALL THE WINES IS ACTUALLY A GOOD PROBLEM

abraco
dirk

Abraço,

FredPort Disciple from Montreal
Frederick Blais

Private messageWebsite
dirk niepoort

Post by dirk niepoort »

You mentioned your favorite Vintage Ports from Niepoort which I was pleased to be able to taste some years back, would you also please share which are your favorite Colheitas?
MOST PEOPLE ONLY TALK ABOUT VINTAGE PORT AND FORGET THE OTHER SIDE.....THE TAWNIES.
IT IS INFACT AS MY FATHER ALWAYS SAYS:
VINTAGE PORT IS THE KING OF THE PORTS
COLHEITAS (TAWNIES) ARE THE PRESIDENTS OF THE PORTS
ONE BY ELECTION, THE OTHER HERITAGE

one of my favourites is the colheita 1935 bottled in 1972. it is a joy. a beauty. and i was lucky, my aunt gave me over the years almost 12 bts that she had in her house.
one of my favourite tawnies is out 30 years old.
it is the most sofisticated blend i know. it is slightly dryer in style and is more on the elegant than robust side.
it is again the sort of wine; the more you drink it the better it gets. and like all OUR tawnies they love tospend a long time in the bt...

Additionally, what are a few standout Vintage Ports that you've enjoyed, which are not from your own company?

fonseca 1985 is one of those miracles.
I love fonseca 1948
taylors 24
morgon 1948
noval 31
croft 45
ui ui there are so many great ports......

Thanks for your amazing responses to the many questions that awaited you yesterday! Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh