JBF Madeira

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Eric Ifune

JBF Madeira

Post by Eric Ifune »

Has anyone heard of JBF? Supposed to be the initials of a John B Fernandes, recently bottled from cask. There is a 1900 Boal and Verdelho. Seen in a Lisbon shop. No selos. :munch:
Reidar Andersen

Re: JBF Madeira

Post by Reidar Andersen »

Interesting, will drop into Garrafeira in 4 weeks. Last time was 13 years ago when I bought two 1795 CVM Terrantez for 810 EUR each ( plus VAT refund )....
Justin A

Post by Justin A »

Ive heard of JBF hair, but not JBF madeira.
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Found out from Francisco Albuquerque, winemaker at the Madeira Wine Company (of course he would know!).
Apparently John B. Fernandes was a grower in Funchal who's decendents emigrated the to States. The wine, in demijohns, was given to a lawyer for some services preformed. The lawyer knew Francisco and asked his opinion. Francisco said to bottle to preserve the quality, some of the demijohns had only a few liters left, and he did so for the lawyer last year. A few of the bottles found their way to Garrafeira National.
Last edited by Eric Ifune on Thu May 28, 2015 7:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

A fine story and amazing coincidence about Francisco. Great visit too!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

I ended up purchasing a bottle of the Verdelho. The Boal was good, the Verdelho superb in a rich style. It rivals the D'Oliverias 1900 Verdelho.
Apparently the vinyards were close to where the Funchal Botanical gardens are today. The wines in cask until 40-50 years ago when they were placed in demijohns.
Marco D.
Location: Milford, Connecticut, United States of America - USA

Post by Marco D. »

Hey Eric,

I was in Lisbon last month and picked up a bottle of the Verdelho as well. Can't wait to try it...
Marco DeFreitas Connecticut, USA
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

I think you'll enjoy it. It's definitely in the rich, concentrated style, akin to D'Oliverias.
I've heard there is a 1900 Sercial out there as well. Hope to try that one someday.