Richard Mayson's view

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Richard Mayson's view

Post by Roy Hersh »

Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Ifune

Re: Richard Mayson's view

Post by Eric Ifune »

And his new book on Madeira will be released in the US on the 15th!
Peter Reutter

Post by Peter Reutter »

How I wish I'd been there.... (sic) :(

May be next time? [beg.gif]

Peter
*Wine makes poets of us all!* Hamilton in Silas Weir Mitchell's A Madeira Party.
Barry Sunderland

Post by Barry Sunderland »

Do you agree with Mayson's very good, but not great, assessment on the Barbeito 1880 Malvasia?
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

I had the 1880 Barbeito Malvasia from demijohn on the Madeirathon tour last May. It was incredible. It showed a more muted quality at the Malvasia tasting in New York. Richard Diogo thought that it was tasting great considering that it was relatively recently bottled. So I am very hopeful that it will return to its glory!
Mark L

Post by Mark L »

I believe the 1880 RR was in the top 3 of quite a few people, and Ricardo did mention that opening this bottle only a couple months after bottling is actually not recommended at all. He thought that this wasn't showing nearly as well as it could, and David's opinion above certainly validates that. (I never had the opportunity to taste it from demijohn, but I heard stories!) Additionally, because it was only bottled a couple months earlier, it wasn't opened and decanted for nearly as long as other bottles (Richard references it was opened that same morning), but after tasting it, Ricardo mentioned that he probably should have figured out a way for it to be opened and decanted much earlier. Funny how there was bottle stink after only a couple months in bottle, but I guess it happens!

I will say that before I knew anything about its background, I was impressed by it when I tasted it, and very much enjoyed it. (although it wasn't quite in the flavor profile of most other malvasias in that it wasn't quite as sweet as others - a note also in Richard's TN, I think.) When I heard that this wonderful drink was NOT showing as well as it could, it really got me excited about the wine enough to press Ricardo and Mannie when it would be available! (Which should be later this year!)
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Most people had the 1880 MMV as excellent, the top wine of the first four; although I slightly perfered the 1882. Ricardo thought the 1880 would improve, especially after some aeration.
I think the vast majority of the wines showed very well with the overall quality of wines quite high. When all the wines show well, you sort of nit-pick.
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Eric Ifune wrote:I think the vast majority of the wines showed very well with the overall quality of wines quite high.
Agreed! It was a very consistently excellent tasting.
Reidar Andersen

Post by Reidar Andersen »

Strange when I read Eric's post, I instantly ordered it at US Amazon... They could not deliver. [dash1.gif] . Today I ordered it at a Norwegian web-shop... They confirmed delivery within 7 day.. [yahoo.gif]
Justin A

Post by Justin A »

David Spriggs wrote:I had the 1880 Barbeito Malvasia from demijohn on the Madeirathon tour last May. It was incredible. It showed a more muted quality at the Malvasia tasting in New York. Richard Diogo thought that it was tasting great considering that it was relatively recently bottled. So I am very hopeful that it will return to its glory!

Im gonna have a talk with Ricardo. He needs to start selling us these wines by Demijohn rather than by bottle. :D
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Great idea Justin!

I'll take one too.

I know a Russian friend in CA who would also be thrilled with a full demijohn.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Reidar Andersen

Post by Reidar Andersen »

Got the book today, and I love it... Will enjoy it sitting in the shadow behind the house.. [cheers.gif]
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I just need to find the time to sit down and read this now!