1795 Terrantez "common stock" MWA/MWC

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Peter Reutter

1795 Terrantez "common stock" MWA/MWC

Post by Peter Reutter »

Since I heard that we have an expert guest in the forums this week, I would like to post a rather exotic question to Dominic. I do understand that the knowledge about this specific wine might be minimal, but since I believe that I own a bottle this is a rare chance that is not to be missed :-)

The question is about the origin and the whereabouts of the so-called "common stock" Terrantez 1795 of the MWA/MWC. In Cossart's book the wine is easy to see on a photograph of bottles from the "common stock" of the amalgamated companies. I have seen at least three bottles with identical stencils and was able to get my hands on one bottle. Due to a leaking cork I had to recork it and took a sample. From my (limited) experience I can say, that this 1795 T is definetely in the same league as the other 1795 T wines. So of course I am interested to know how and when this wine "entered" the MWA/MWC and where it came from. Also: how many bottles are there left, if any?

Any answers, any information are highly appreciated, thanks! [help.gif]

Peter
*Wine makes poets of us all!* Hamilton in Silas Weir Mitchell's A Madeira Party.
Eric Ifune

Re: 1795 Terrantez "common stock" MWA/MWC

Post by Eric Ifune »

Peter,
I'm not sure Dominic Symington is posting here. You might want to repost in the Guest Corner forum.

Hoping you make it to San Francisco in March!
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: 1795 Terrantez "common stock" MWA/MWC

Post by Andy Velebil »

I've posted your question in the proper forum for Dom to see. Click this link
http://www.fortheloveofport.com/ftlopfo ... 37#p118937
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com