2016 FTLOP Madeira get together - UPDATED 4/1/16

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Marc R

Re: 2016 FTLOP Madeira get together - UPDATED 4/1/16

Post by Marc R »

I'm not going to steal any of Roy's thunder by including specifics. However, may I be the first to publicly thank Roy (and everyone else who made the events possible) for a truly stellar weekend. The wine, food, and company were all fantastic.

In the elegant words of one of our more refined attendees; "F*#%ing Delicious!" :thanks:
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

It certainly %$#@&*^%% was! :evil:
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Thanks Marcus for keeping this under your hat. I will get this written up and post an article, but one is already completed (without mentioning the complete lineup, etc.) by another guest.

Given one of the guests stayed at our home, Monday turned into a "Tour of Seattle" in nearly 90 degree heat and he left mid-day on Tues. I crashed and burned hard by the end of dinner and slept long enough to make up for last week.

I needed a full day to chill out and just let it all wash over me. Great memories, a stellar list of Madeira, easily equaled by the depth of dinner wines. Simply %$#@&*^%% wonderful. The generosity of the group was incredible.

Thanks to all of you!

:NotWorthy:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

An amazingly educational first day, followed by an equally amazingly decadent second day!

We even managed to get me home both nights before I turned into a pumpkin. :lol:

A big thank you to everyone who brought these incredible Madeiras, and to Roy for hosting and organizing the whole weekend. :thumbsup:
Glenn Elliott
Lisa Stevens

Post by Lisa Stevens »

I have to echo what has been said here. It was an absolutely amazing weekend full of sensational madeiras, incredible table wines, some outstanding people, and great food. The whole weekend was decadent and exhilarating to the extreme and I can't thank Roy enough for putting this together. I now know more about madeira than I ever thought I would and can actually talk about it semi-intelligently. Thanks to everyone for an amazingly generous weekend!

-Lisa
Julian D. A. Wiseman

Post by Julian D. A. Wiseman »

When there is a review article, please post here a link to it, so that I can add that link to the list of placemats. Thank you.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Thanks to all of the participants who were so generous in their contributions of Madeira, which made for extraordinary and educational flights on day 1, which was more like a "masterclass". The "low bar" was a Madeira event I'd have flown anywhere in No. America to attend. I think the guests may not have understood the term, "low bar" -- but all kidding aside, it was just ridiculous.

Only to be topped the following day of hedonistic old and ancient bottles of Madeira and the dinners were very good, but the dinner wines for both nights were simply unbelievable. I am sure there were some guests who had the oldest table wines in their lives, to go along with the oldest fortified wines many had ever tried before. Back to back stunning events. I am glad :ftlop: 'ers we were able to get together and make this happen for the 1st time since 2013. Maybe we'll do another one towards the end of the decade! :salute:

It is not often that 30 bottles of Madeira can all show so beautifully. Thank you all again and special thanks to those that brought glassware, provided rides and assisted with the very helpful placemats, etc. :scholar:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
John Trombley

Post by John Trombley »

As a 'no show', I'm anxious to read some notes, and I'm sure I won't be disappointed.
terrance creighton

Post by terrance creighton »

Yes, thanks again Roy for putting together such a great event - and I was only able to make it for the Saturday! The kindness of everyone made for such a memorable day. I look forward to meeting everyone again in the future.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Terrance, do you also drink Port wine?
terrance creighton

Post by terrance creighton »

I do. Much more than Madeira (if it wasn't clear at the get together. :D )
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Good to know and glad you are still involved here.

I am still in Portugal and it has been really warm the past few days. From what I've been hearing is that there's still be quite a bit of rain in the Douro in recent weeks and this year is turning out to be quite challenging.
Barry Sunderland

Post by Barry Sunderland »

Did I miss the photos and/or the article about this tasting?
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Barry,

There was never a formal write up done.

The write up of some of the wines and a few photos too, were included in newsletter #91 from last week. Look under the Madeira Recommendation on page 3, from Napaman.