2016 FTLOP Madeira get together - UPDATED 4/1/16

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Steve Pollack

Re: 2016 FTLOP Madeira get together - UPDATED 2/21/15

Post by Steve Pollack »

Eric Ifune wrote:Sercial first, but then could blindly do Verdelho, Terrantez, Bastardo together, and then Bual, Malvasia, and Moscatel blind together.
a and d, and I like Eric's idea.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: 2016 FTLOP Madeira get together - UPDATED 2/29/16

Post by Roy Hersh »

Today, I worked on both Saturday night and Sunday night's venues. While Saturday's meal will be wonderful, I think Sunday night is going to blow everyone away. I am still negotiating corkage, making sure there are no room charges, getting this to be one-price-fits-all and w/ ability for everyone to pay on individual credit cards, plus putting the menu together with the chef/owner for Sunday night, at a restaurant I don't believe anyone coming will have ever been to. This should be finalized by Monday, latest.

Next up, discussion of dinner wines ... but that can be next week. I am thinking we'll have plenty if every person brings one bottle for each night.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

To take one for the team, on Wednesday night I am going to check out the restaurant for the Sunday night event and have dinner there ... as I've never been there before. Not only do I want to try the food "unannounced" but I want to see the space too. More ... soon!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Steve Pollack

Post by Steve Pollack »

Roy, thanks for all your hard work in putting this together! Can't wait for the big weekend. :NotWorthy: :thanks:
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

:thumbsup:
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Locked and loaded on both venues! :)
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: 2016 FTLOP Madeira get together - UPDATED 3/13/16

Post by Roy Hersh »

UPDATED INFO:

Saturday: April 16th - Daniel's Broiler Lake Union - 809 Fairview Pl N, Seattle, WA 98109 ... attendees to arrive @ noon and start time as soon as Madeiras are poured. Dinner to follow. Approximately $100-150 per person, a la carte ... separate bills, so cost depends on what you order.

Sunday: April 17th - Osteria Rigoletto - 420 Pontius Ave N, Seattle, WA 98109 ... attendees to arrive @ 1 p.m. start time, as soon as Madeiras are poured. Dinner to follow. A pre-set 4 course meal is planned and cost is "all inclusive" @ $125 per person.
Lindsay E.

Re: 2016 FTLOP Madeira get together - UPDATED 3/15/16

Post by Lindsay E. »

Roy, nice work on the restaurant venues! As for the tasting structure, I'm happy with either Eric's idea or the A,D (Dry to Sweet while blind) procedure.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

More will be added later in the week or handled by emails directly. Not sure yet. Still have to discuss dinner wines for both evening, decanting of bottles ahead of time, etc. Soon!
Steve Pollack

Post by Steve Pollack »

Roy, thanks again for organizing what is sure to be a fantastic weekend. [cheers.gif]

If it's at all possible, I would prefer to ship my wines to Seattle, if someone is willing and able to receive them. The reasons are twofold.

1. That would give the bottles a chance to settle, and show their best.

2. I'm flying in that morning, and the timing will be tight. So it would be expeditious to not have to wait for the wines in baggage claim.

See everyone soon!

Cheers,

Steve
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Let's talk by phone. I am struggling mightily to finish the next newsletter. Call at YOUR convenience.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: 2016 FTLOP Madeira get together - UPDATED 4/1/16

Post by Roy Hersh »

UPDATED page 1.

I will do my best to get emails sent out today.

For all participants, as I've had room fees and corkage waived on Sat./Sun. days and nights and to help us save money from our dinner bill, I hope everyone will bring one great bottle of table wine, per person each night. The first night is a steak dinner and the second will be Italian food. Please pair accordingly and be generous with your compadres. As I will be emailing everyone, please include in your return email, which wines you will commit to for the weekend, so we can avoid duplications and make sure everyone is on the same playing field. To give one parameter for the wines, let's keep everything 2004 and older for the dinner wines. That should not be difficult and if so, let me know and I will help to figure it out.

As for your Madeiras, I don't really see any bottles in which the following won't apply:

For those that have not already shipped, please hold on to your bottles and bring them with you, already decanted. None will be hurt if decanted on Monday prior to coming here. Leave the decanter open, (not stoppered) in a cool / dark place, in a wine cellar if possible, basement if not. Since most here are also Port lovers, see if you can insert a "T stopper" type cork, the kind that will be found in an LBV or less expensive Port. Make sure they fit snugly, especially if you are carrying your bottle in luggage on an airplane (but even locals for transporting to the events). I'd then suggest using packaging tape to ensure that stopper doesn't come loose while in your luggage, but please be careful to avoid taping over any label on the bottle as photo ops will be plentiful. Prevent accidents! [friends.gif]

If you have questions, please email me back.

Thanks and see you in two weeks!

Roy
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I am still hoping to hear from the rest by email, so we can lock down the dinner wines. My sincere thanks and see you v. soon! [welcome.gif]
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Tonight I checked out the Sunday night restaurant and the space and food are excellent for what we need to do. I am going to try to send out one last email.

All of your Madeira bottles that were sent to me, 12 of the 14 that I decanted on Monday, have created the smell of a roasted coffee / caramel factory, in the lower living area of my home. It smell great here and I love this and have close all doors to intensify this for the week that they rest here.

Is anybody else getting excited yet? [shrug.gif]
Steve Pollack

Post by Steve Pollack »

Roy Hersh wrote:Tonight I checked out the Sunday night restaurant and the space and food are excellent for what we need to do. I am going to try to send out one last email.

All of your Madeira bottles that were sent to me, 12 of the 14 that I decanted on Monday, have created the smell of a roasted coffee / caramel factory, in the lower living area of my home. It smell great here and I love this and have close all doors to intensify this for the week that they rest here.

You could say that! [yahoo.gif] [yahoo.gif] [yahoo.gif]
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Steve Pollack wrote:
Roy Hersh wrote:Tonight I checked out the Sunday night restaurant and the space and food are excellent for what we need to do. I am going to try to send out one last email.

You could say that! [yahoo.gif] [yahoo.gif] [yahoo.gif]
+1

My dining room smells pretty good, but it only has 2 bottles in it. I want to see what Roy's basement is like!!!
Glenn Elliott
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Yet? [dance2.gif] :winebath:
Lindsay E.

Post by Lindsay E. »

I'm actually a little scared [cheers.gif]
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Because you've never had 30 Madeiras in 30 hours? I remember a day where you and I did about 40+ bottles in a morning and afternoon tasting session.

So why afraid now? :scholar:
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

My final group email was sent off to all participants.

The lineup is nothing short of epic and the best two day Madeira event held in the USA since the FTLOP weekend in SF @ Sociale, in May 2013. Is it possible it was only 3 years ago? Seems like 5 or 6 years ago. Wow!

Honestly, this lineup is better! :scholar: