2016 FTLOP Madeira get together - UPDATED 4/1/16

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Llyn Strelau

Re: 2016 FTLOP Madeira get together - UPDATED 1/20/15

Post by Llyn Strelau »

Hi Roy et al,

Yes - I in for both Saturday and Sunday.
I am currently in Washington DC (stopped into the Jefferson Hotel one evening for a couple of glasses of Madeira - great list although the prices are commiserate (though the Canadian dollar vs US is horrifying at the moment). Heading to Southern California tomorrow for 10 days then Tucson for the annual gem show an not home til Feb 10 but I will try to sort out wines to bring before we get home.

In an embarrassment of riches I just booked the Rare Wine Co tasting on Feb 14 - quick turn around for two days as soon as I get home from Tucson but dont' get that many opportunities to taste old Madeiras - 1800-1928.. Yaay

Will get wine possibilities to you asap.

Cheers,
Llyn
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Hi llyn,

I will include you on both events. I do not need to know your bottles by the date in February, although it wouldn't hurt to know them, when you have the time. I had to turn down the 2/14 tasting yesterday when I heard about it, as I couldn't find a way to get back in time to be home for a Valentine's Day dinner. I'd have otherwise loved to go to that event.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
John Trombley

Post by John Trombley »

Roy Hersh wrote:John Trombley, as I know you are paying attention do you want me to sign you up? [friends.gif] To answer your question above, you can ship your bottle directly to me, not the venue. That way we have a direct line of responsibility during shipping. Also, I'd be responsible for decanting and properly handling the bottle for you. But please do not ship any wines my way until after the aforementioned Feb. 12th decision.
I would dearly love to come; there are two things that might hold me back. The first is that my health has been iffy; won't bore you with the details, but the doctor may not allow me to travel. The second is that I'd have to buy the Madeira, because I've drunk up all my pre-Manny Berk Madieras and haven't been buying the really good stuff of late, except for a client or two whose cellars I managed. I think I can find Madeiras that I can have shipped to you, but time's a-wastin'. One or two of the Madiera board who are also Riesling lovers have strongly urged me to attend, so if at all possible i will--I've never been to a tasting of this magnitude, a huge bucket item for me. I'd like if possible to get bottlings that are not recent, because most of what I've tasted has been the latter, but beggars can't be choosers.
Alan Gardner

Post by Alan Gardner »

Roy Hersh wrote:Hopefully these Madeira lovers will get back in touch:

Alan Gardner

As mentioned, my window to work on fully palnning the logistics for the :ftlop: Madeira weekend begins in early Feb., and it would require that we have enough people to make it worthwhile for the FTLOP guests who would be traveling from other states, and from the restaurant's standpoint. I hope we can get enough traction to make this happen. So that people can still get attractive airfares and to have enough time for planning, let's put a date at which we decide together whether to proceed or not, as 3 weeks from Friday ... which is February 12th.
Sorry for the delay - I've hit some scheduling conflicts and will be travelling for the next 2 weeks, but should be able to finalize before Feb 12. However, I'd say 'less' (as opposed to 'more') likely to attend.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I hope to see more progress next week. It would be a shame not to do this! [shrug.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Steve Pollack

Post by Steve Pollack »

Roy Hersh wrote:I hope to see more progress next week. It would be a shame not to do this! [shrug.gif]
I agree. Where are all the Madeira lovers? [dash1.gif]
Reidar Andersen

Post by Reidar Andersen »

Yes, Steve, I would love to come, but I am in NYC same dates. Also want to meet you, Roy and the rest of my friends again.

I always book all my travel 10 months ahead, like NYC in April.
Lindsay E.

Post by Lindsay E. »

Okay, I know this is going to comeback to haunt me with my school workload in April, but I'm in for both days! Lets try to make this a partial Madeirathon reunion. Llyn and Eric, I miss you guys and I'm looking forward to seeing you both in Seattle.

-Lindsay Evans
Lisa Stevens

Post by Lisa Stevens »

Glad I popped into the Madeira forum! I will ask Vic if he is in for one or both days. I figure that we needed to find out if we like Madeira enough to go to Madeira, so this might be a great opportunity to really find out. Let me talk to Vic when he wakes up later today and I will get back to this forum.

-Lisa
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: 2016 FTLOP Madeira get together - UPDATED 1/26/15

Post by Roy Hersh »

Updated.
Lisa Stevens

Re: 2016 FTLOP Madeira get together - UPDATED 1/26/15

Post by Lisa Stevens »

Vic and I are in for both day! Looking forward to continuing my education!

-Lisa
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: 2016 FTLOP Madeira get together - UPDATED 1/29/15

Post by Roy Hersh »

Updated and added Marcus R., Vic W. & Lisa S. for both events. Making some progress now. Hopefully John and Allan will be able to join us too.
Lindsay E.

Post by Lindsay E. »

Alright! This event looks like it's coming together. Only 4 spots left for the full weekend immersion. Is David Spriggs getting in on this event?

-Lindsay
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Hi Lindsay! I would love to be there, but unfortunately I had already committed to another tasting on that date. :shock: :(
Marc R

Post by Marc R »

Alan, I hope that you and Catherine are able to make it. I'd love to catch up with you two and hear about your travels over some great wine (The pictures Catherine's posted recently have been fantastic). [cheers.gif]
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

10 days and counting to decide whether this will all work out. If you want to take part and join us, please let us know sooner, rather than later.

I've reached out to one of the participants from the 2013 SF get together that came on the 2015 Fortification Tour. Keeping my fingers crossed! :winepour:
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

No luck, he had a schedule conflict. :(
Alan Gardner

Post by Alan Gardner »

Marc R wrote:Alan, I hope that you and Catherine are able to make it. I'd love to catch up with you two and hear about your travels over some great wine (The pictures Catherine's posted recently have been fantastic). [cheers.gif]
Sorry,
Catherine definitely can't make it for this one. I'm still "in conflict" - just got back from a trip and still re-organizing.
Big issue is schedule for another big food item/trip that was supposed to provide details "before end of January" (and still not received).
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: 2016 FTLOP Madeira get together - UPDATED 2/9/15

Post by Roy Hersh »

Decisions are due on Friday!
Alan Gardner

Re: 2016 FTLOP Madeira get together - UPDATED 2/9/15

Post by Alan Gardner »

I can (and will) make it for 1 - both Sat & Sun.

Alan