Large format bottles of Madeira

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Large format bottles of Madeira

Post by Roy Hersh »

Niklas Jorgensen from MAD ABOUT MADEIRA wrote:

"Last year, IVBAM - the control institute for Madeira wine - opened up the rules for bottling Madeira in magnums. Previously, the producers had to apply for a permission to bottle in the larger size but not anymore. One who took advantage of this directly was Blandy's. They've decided to bottle 50 magnums of every Vintage Madeira they produce.

But Blandy's will also apply for 10 Jérobaoms & 3 Melchiors in each Vintage. The latter being an 18 liters format. Like the 1976 Terrantez on the photo....want one?"

I just was apprised of this and am very pleased with the result. I've had one magnum in my cellar for about 5-6 years, the 1920 Bual by Blandy's. :scholar:

I may have to reasses my spending when over on the island next.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: Large format bottles of Madeira

Post by Andy Velebil »

So did the IVBAM talk to the IVDP and find out about EU laws related to their incorrectly prohibiting larger formats? If Julian liked Madeira as much as Port this may have happened sooner :lol:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

I love these magnums! Especially with Madeira when you can keep an open bottle for years.
I've been trying to get more. I've been trying to get them to carry them in their Funchal Airport shop.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Andy,

No, but I know that Julian likes Madeira too, just not as much as Port.

The IVBAM had two producers on the island that had been pushing for this to happen. It was about time, but up until recently, consumers were very happy to just buy more bottles. On the island, you are seeing some new interest.

I wrote to Mannie and Ricardo, a suggestion about importing some specific "limited" bottlings in Magnum to the USA and am waiting to hear back!

Roy
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Not sure if a magnum of Madeira has the same cache for me as port. Port magnums are gone in one sitting; I doubt I would do that with magnum of Madeira. If am not doing that, then what is point outside of the coolness?
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Moses Botbol wrote:Not sure if a magnum of Madeira has the same cache for me as port. Port magnums are gone in one sitting; I doubt I would do that with magnum of Madeira. If am not doing that, then what is point outside of the coolness?
Cause it's cool. Hello [rotfl.gif]
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Roy Hersh wrote:Andy,

No, but I know that Julian likes Madeira too, just not as much as Port.

The IVBAM had two producers on the island that had been pushing for this to happen. It was about time, but up until recently, consumers were very happy to just buy more bottles. On the island, you are seeing some new interest.

I wrote to Mannie and Ricardo, a suggestion about importing some specific "limited" bottlings in Magnum to the USA and am waiting to hear back!

Roy
Maybe a limited bottling subscriber buyers op?? ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

That would be easy, but I'd need to get a significant number pre-sold in order for them to even consider this ... and then I would do my best to get us a special label made too! [friends.gif]
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Roy Hersh wrote:That would be easy, but I'd need to get a significant number pre-sold in order for them to even consider this ... and then I would do my best to get us a special label made too! [friends.gif]
Any Madeira buying opportunity would be awesome. Especially some actually affordable vintages.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Scheiny S

Post by Scheiny S »

Moses Botbol wrote:Not sure if a magnum of Madeira has the same cache for me as port. Port magnums are gone in one sitting; I doubt I would do that with magnum of Madeira. If am not doing that, then what is point outside of the coolness?
wouldn't it reduce the price? two 750s typically cost more than one magnum, just as two 375s cost more than one 750?
it might also save cellar space for Madeira collectors?
Edward J

Post by Edward J »

Scheiny S wrote:
wouldn't it reduce the price? two 750s typically cost more than one magnum, just as two 375s cost more than one 750?
it might also save cellar space for Madeira collectors?
In the wine world once you get to the Magnums the price goes up over the cost of two 750's almost every time. The bottles themselves might cost that much more, or ?

I think the appeal is that most agree that Madeira can improve quite a bit after being opened for an extended period of time. A Magnum could allow you to experience those changes much longer. As someone with just a few bottles , I might be inclined to keep one as a "house" Madeira.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

With upper end old madeiras I'd assume the bigger issue for a producer is dwindling stocks. And of course customer demand.

Is there a large demand for large format Madeira?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Edward J wrote:In the wine world once you get to the Magnums the price goes up over the cost of two 750's almost every time. The bottles themselves might cost that much more, or ?
I think it's just because magnums tend to be rarer bottlings, so they price them higher than they "should" due to supply and demand. 2 halves (375ml) are also typically more expensive than one 750ml, and the even larger formats (double magnum, 5L, 6L, etc) are usually even more disproportionately expensive. Not always, of course, but usually.
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Glass costs do go up and most producers don't make a lot so they tend to be hand bottled / labeled. So that also drives up the cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk