Need to recork your Madeira wine bottle?

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Peter Reutter

Need to recork your Madeira wine bottle?

Post by Peter Reutter »

I know, long time no post [foilhat.gif]

But I found out something interesting for anyone who needs to have an old Madeira wine bottle recorked AND happens to fly over to Madera island. Obviously the Madeira Wine Company does recorking of old Madeira wines and asks 20 € per bottle. I do not know if they offer any certificate afterwards, but anyone interested might want to ask them directly at [email protected] I had been in talks with a fellow madeira wine enthusiast called Hendrik and he found out about this and didn't mind if I shared this information with you.

Personally I think that it is more fun to do it yourself, but if you want to keep your wine as an investment it might indeed be better to have it done by the MWC. However if you want to give it a try, I wrote up a how-to a couple of years ago. So far I did 50+ bottles this way and it worked out fine: http://www.madeirawineguide.com/10madei ... old_wines/

Peter
*Wine makes poets of us all!* Hamilton in Silas Weir Mitchell's A Madeira Party.