Huge news in Madeira!

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Huge news in Madeira!

Post by Roy Hersh »

Translated by Google:

Bruno Rebelo de Sousa directs the Madeira Wine Institute

IVBAM - Institute of Wine, Embroidery and Handicraft of Madeira has a new leadership. They are Bruno Rebelo de Sousa, former director of exports of the group Bacalhôa Vinhos de Portugal.

Bruno Rebelo de Sousa, a graduate in International Relations and with professional experience also linked to financial institutions, replaces Paula Cabaço as president of IVBAM. The decision follows a remodeling of the Regional Government of Madeira, decided by the president, Miguel Albuquerque.

In total there are a dozen new faces in the Madeiran administration, the main alteration related to the substitution in the tutela of the Regional Health Secretariat, which is now assumed by Pedro Ramos.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Ifune

Re: Huge news in Madeira!

Post by Eric Ifune »

Will we get to meet them?
Niklas J

Post by Niklas J »

Bruno didn't meet the formal requirements (holding a degree for 10 years) so instead an new Paula - Paula Luísa Jardim Duarte - was appointed the president of IVBAM. I've heard good things about her, that she's committed and will take the fight for Madeira wine!

Sadly, many people like Rubina is not at IVBAM anymore. :(
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Yes, the organization has changed a lot. I keep in touch with Rubina and will be seeing her when judging in Spain this spring.

The original announcement was premature, and yes, the new Paula is now heading up the IVBAM. Odd about that 10 year requirement and he missed it by a few years, but so be it. I have high hopes that things will still be very solid there and I look forward to meeting the new management in a few months!

Eric, the answer to your question is yes.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Niklas J

Post by Niklas J »

Agree Roy. Bruno seemed most competent. But anyway, will be fun to meet Paula. And the rest of the gang.
Niklas Jorgensen

Remember this in 25 years or so; 2012 is a great year for Madeira wine!