Casa dos Vinhos Madeira

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Mahmoud Ali

Casa dos Vinhos Madeira

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Has anyone tried this 5 year-old Madeira from Casa dos Vinhos? I found a couple of these for what appeared to be a fair price (C$15.75) and thought it worth a shot. There doesn't seem to be much information about this producer but it does seem to be something that is available acroiss Canada.
CasadosVinhos.jpg
CasadosVinhos.jpg (425.81 KiB) Viewed 1300 times
Any information appreciated.

Cheers ................ Mahmoud.
Niklas J

Re: Casa dos Vinhos Madeira

Post by Niklas J »

Hi Mahmoud,

It's a brand belonging to the company of Henriques & Henriques in Camara de Lobos. Made from Tinta Negra. Sweeter style.

Let us know how it was!

Best
Niklas
Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Thanks for the information Niklas. It's interesting to know that Casa dos Vinhos is associated with Henriques & Henriques, certainly no bad thing. Using your information I see that Casa dos Vinhos is on the Henriques website and that it was founded in 1932.

So, a sweeter style, good to know. I will report back when I open a bottle.

Mahmoud.
Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Casa dos Vinhos, Fine Old Madeira, 5 Years Old 19%

Opened a bottle on the weekend at the end of a dinner and wine evening among friends and it was well received. The colour is a quite light, brown core with a tawny rim and a fair degree of viscosity and legs. The nose is nicely delineated, basically dry and madeirized with a hint of sweetness, and nutty. The palate is sweeter up front, followed by a dry, nutty, and madeirized, with a long finish. Though this is an attenuated madeira it is nontheless an elegant, satifying drink. At the price I paid I wouldn't hesitate to buy more as an everyday madeira. Unfortunately it normally sells for twice the price.

Mahmoud.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Where did you buy this Mahmoud?

I am sure that you've also learned by now that legendary wine figure; who was the first individual to trump the Canadian monopolies by getting laws changed in Alberta Province, to allow for direct importation of wine for wine shops there, has passed away. Hank Gillespie, a brilliant guy, fine palate and close friend, passed at the age of 84.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mahmoud Ali

Post by Mahmoud Ali »

Hi Roy,

I bought a pair of them recently, here in Edmonton. I have since seen it elsewhere in town at double the price. I have no idea about the age of the bottles I bought, whether it was older stock or not. Most alarming was what was written on the back label: "Perfect served on the rocks with a twist of lemon."

I had heard about Hank Gillespie passing away. Coincidentally I had posted a story about Hank's generosity on a wine forum only a month before I heard the news. And the day after I posted the story I was thinking of Hank once again when I opened a bottle of 1982 Tignanello that I had bought from his store many years ago based on his advice. You are indeed lucky to have known him as a friend, a fine person and a thorough gentleman.

Mahmoud.