TN: 1895 Araujo de Barros Verdelho

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

TN: 1895 Araujo de Barros Verdelho

Post by Glenn E. »

Color: Light yellow/tan with a green tint at the rim.

Nose: Very much madeira, showing some regular lemon and some meyer lemon. Very tangy/citrusy. Some wood (oakiness?) lurks being the citrus.

Palate: Light and bright. Very smooth and easy to drink. Some tart tangerine with an oaky aftertaste. Neither dry nor sweet to my taste, which steered me toward Boal as the grape since I find most Madeira to be too dry for me.

Score: 94 points. Quite possibly the easiest drinking Madeira that I've ever had - you could easily drink the entire bottle in an evening, with or without food. This was served blind and I guessed a 90s Boal... sadly I meant 1990s, not 1890s. I never would have guessed that something this old - especially a Madeira - could be this easy to drink.
Glenn Elliott
Reidar Andersen

Re: TN: 1895 Araujo de Barros Verdelho

Post by Reidar Andersen »

Glenn, I have a 1905 A. Barros Terrantez I have not managed to trace where it comes from etc. Have tried hard... [dash1.gif]

Bought about 15 years ago in the basement of a souvenir shop in Avenida Monumental Funchal. It has a yellow seal with a small red stripe around the neck. Does it resemble yours ?

Reidar
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Reidar, this was from a bottle that Roy opened and I don't recall that much detail about it off the top of my head. Perhaps he can describe it for you?
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

There is currently a photo of that bottle on Instagram, on FOR THE LOVE OF PORT page, if you care to see an image of it.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com