A fun look back: Terrantez

This forum is for discussing all things Madeira - vintages, recommendations, tasting notes, etc.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

A fun look back: Terrantez

Post by Roy Hersh »

Dr. Peter Reutter, Madeira maestro of the website: www.madeirawineguide.com wrote about this fine tasting of transcendental Terrantez. He joined us back in 2012 for likely the best Madeira tasting either of us has ever taken part of, and probably will never be bested by either of us. Some of these bottles no longer exist on earth anymore and others, well few people can afford most of these ... with prices generally starting at $2500 and some that will soar skywards from there.

Have a look back at his fine article:

http://www.madeirawineguide.com/03event ... ting_2012/
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
John Trombley

Re: A fun look back: Terrantez

Post by John Trombley »

The only wine of this lineup that I ever tasted was the 1900 Barbieto, which on request the balance of my holding I sold to Roy H. many years ago, probably at least 20 years back. I tasted it in the Ayler Kupp restaurant with Peter Ruhrberg (in the Saar region of the Mosel winemaking area). On that occasion it was so dense right out of the bottle that it was almost impossible to evaluate or even enjoy; it taught me about pre-decanting Madieras. However, the overall style was discernible in this note. We noted that Queen Victoria was still alive when the grapes for this were picked. Yes, it's sometimes impossible to separate wine from history for this island; one 1860 Madiera I enjoyed was picked in the middle of the double oidium-phylloxera crisis period; vineyard workers were literally starving to death as they produced it.

By the way, I may have been reading the wrong tasting involving Roy in the other Madiera Wine site.