1985 horizontal, Seattle, Jan 24-25 2015

This site is for discussion of travel to the "Land of Port & Madeira" as well as food related to Port or Portugal. Additionally your Offline tasting events can be planned and reviewed here.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: 1985 horizontal, Seattle, Jan 24-25 2015

Post by Roy Hersh »

I have watched and people have been devouring the baguettes, so it would be good to have one, especially with 2 sessions per day. So, YES please, one per person per day, Lindsay. Thank you!

As to the Banquet room, they've been enticed by us eating in the dining room and rooms sold ... but regardless, they have NOT been willing to give an inch on the cost of the room anymore. They did lower it in 2014 when they had raised it a few hundred dollars per day from the previous year. We've split the difference, but it is still not inexpensive unless they had competing business for the room. Then I could understand. Anyway, it is what it is.

Roy
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Edgar B.
Location: Port Angeles, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Edgar B. »

yes, yes please add me to the list!!

Edgar
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Done! Glad you can make it. :-)
Glenn Elliott
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Sean has confirmed, and had 2 more bottles that I've added to the list. :-)
Glenn Elliott
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

In case you haven't been checking the list daily (you have been checking the list daily, right? :wink:) there have been a few more bottles added. We're up to 33 total now!
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Outstanding, but let's try for 40!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Roy Hersh wrote:Outstanding, but let's try for 40!
[beg.gif]

Linda has located 5 more, but they're scattered all over Europe and it would cost $100/bottle to ship them here in time. I made the executive decision that $160+ per bottle wasn't reasonable for 3rd-tier VPs. I'd love to have a complete horizontal, but there are limits to what I'm willing to spend (and ask others to spend as well).
Glenn Elliott
Bradley Bogdan

1985 horizontal, Seattle, Jan 24-25 2015

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Glenn E. wrote:
[beg.gif]

Linda has located 5 more, but they're scattered all over Europe and it would cost $100/bottle to ship them here in time. I made the executive decision that $160+ per bottle wasn't reasonable for 3rd-tier VPs. I'd love to have a complete horizontal, but there are limits to what I'm willing to spend (and ask others to spend as well).
I'm doing some wine-searcher pro-ing as I'm prepping for bed and noticing that some of those ports remaining seem to be available in the US for roughly $80/bottle inc. shipping (ground). I'll make some calls tomorrow, but if they turn out to be good leads, I'll post the links and happily contribute the $5ish per bottle that'd be our share to bump the total, if that's deemed a reasonable cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Just booked my flights. Virgin America has a sale going on right now and scored a seat for cheap. 8--)
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Bradley Bogdan wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:
[beg.gif]

I'm doing some wine-searcher pro-ing as I'm prepping for bed and noticing that some of those ports remaining seem to be available in the US for roughly $80/bottle inc. shipping (ground). I'll make some calls tomorrow, but if they turn out to be good leads, I'll post the links and happily contribute the $5ish per bottle that'd be our share to bump the total, if that's deemed a reasonable cost.

Brad
Did you get any of these you found? A small additional price to pay to increase our lineup
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Lisa S

Post by Lisa S »

Can you add me to the wait list.I don't have any 1985 Port to bring so I will have to locate a bottle. Suggestions on where to find one....especially the ones we still need.

Thanks
Lisa S.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Added! Most people aren't bringing bottles for this tasting anyway - we'll be adding up the total cost and splitting it. I have been collecting bottles for this horizontal for several years so we had a 23-bottle head start. :-)
Glenn Elliott
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Bradley Bogdan wrote:
Glenn E. wrote: [beg.gif]

Brad
Did you get any of these you found? A small additional price to pay to increase our lineup
I got through the first three listings, which were all duds, and then got distracted. I'll give it another go this week.

-Brad

Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

We have a possible activity for Friday night if people are interested:

Lisa's birthday is the 25th, and her tradition is normally to have dinner at the Herbfarm to celebrate. That conflicts with this tasting this year, though, so she would like to know if anyone would be interested in joining her and Vic for dinner on Friday night instead. The Herbfarm has a private dining room that she can get which will seat up to 14 guests, so there should be plenty of room.

The menu for that weekend has not been released yet, but she says it is typically the "Truffle Treasure" theme. Last year's menu for that theme can be found here. As you can see this is a pretty fancy restaurant! The price for the dinner would be roughly $250 per person, including tax and tip, so it's not cheap. But it's supposed to be a fantastic experience and is someplace I've always wanted to try.

FWIW their Thanksgiving dinner typically includes a Madeira from 1863, the year that Abraham Lincoln made Thanksgiving a national holiday.

In order to give Lisa and the Herbfarm sufficient notice, please respond in this thread by December 23rd if you'd like to attend. Or you can email me if you'd like, that works too. I'll forward the information on to Lisa so that she can make the appropriate reservation at the Herbfarm.
Glenn Elliott
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Glenn E. wrote:We have a possible activity for Friday night if people are interested:

Lisa's birthday is the 25th, and her tradition is normally to have dinner at the Herbfarm to celebrate. ...
How much decadence can one fit into a weekend? Hmmm ....
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Ticket booked. I won't be in early enough on Friday to make the dinner. I arrive at SEA Friday 23 Jan 7:50 pm, depart Monday 26 Jan 7:35 am. If these travel times match up with you, let me know so we might share a ride, rental car, etc.
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Where do we stand on the extra bottle being searched for?
Time's running out so we need to get cracking.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

I've been keeping the lists in the first post up to date. We're currently at 33 bottles with 11 (known) left to be sourced. The Nacional, Borges & Irmao, Feist, and Morgan have all arrived already. Marc hasn't told me whether he plans to ship his bottles or carry them up with him.

A couple of people have found some of the missing bottles, but I felt the prices were out of line. Yeah, it'd be cool to have a complete horizontal for the tasting, but I'm just not willing to pay $150+ for a Hutcheson (just as an example, including shipping). I don't care how rare it is... it's just not a great Port so it's not worth adding $10 per person to the bill.
Glenn Elliott
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Glenn E. wrote:A couple of people have found some of the missing bottles, but I felt the prices were out of line. Yeah, it'd be cool to have a complete horizontal for the tasting, but I'm just not willing to pay $150+ for a Hutcheson (just as an example, including shipping). I don't care how rare it is... it's just not a great Port so it's not worth adding $10 per person to the bill.
Agreed. A good 1985, e.g. Grahams, can be had for $80. Something like Hutcheson should cost less than that. For the experience I might pay $80 for a bottle, but not twice that.
Lindsay E.

Post by Lindsay E. »

Oh man, that would have been the PERFECT opportunity for me to finally justify the money to try the Herbfarm. Unfortunately, I prepaid for a 2-part cooking class that goes the from 6-10 pm on the 22nd and 23rd.