FTLOP 11th Anniversary Tasting, July 23-24, 2016, Sammamish

This site is for discussion of travel to the "Land of Port & Madeira" as well as food related to Port or Portugal. Additionally your Offline tasting events can be planned and reviewed here.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Bradley Bogdan

Re: FTLOP 11th Anniversary Tasting, July 23-24, 2016, Sammamish

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Glenn E. wrote:By the way, I've been chatting with Jeff Ghi about the 1977 J.W. Morris, and he recalled seeing an article about early California ports.

It was published in the New York Times in 1981!

http://www.nytimes.com/1981/10/11/magaz ... ornia.html

Of note:
"J.W. Morris made a 1975 [California port] from one-third zinfandel, one-third petite sirah and one-third ruby cabernet."

The 1977 we had was likely a similar blend, though also likely not exactly the same.
Nice find!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad

Don B.

Post by Don B. »

Big thanks to Roy and Glenn and all who helped, even Andy. :lol: Can't wait for next year. And thanks for being charitable about the California pORT.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Had a great time. Many thanks to everyone for the laughs, fun, conversations, and of course Port and some wines too. The best tasting we've done so far, in terms of how great the bottles showed across the weekend. :NotWorthy:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Lisa Stevens

Post by Lisa Stevens »

I want to echo everyone's comments. This was a really great port weekend ad the 1966 VP tasting was my personal greatest VP tasting ever after going back through my notes. I appreciate the generosity of folks in the bottles they shared, and of course learned a lot from everyone. Let's not wait a year before we do this again!

-Lisa
Edgar B.
Location: Port Angeles, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Edgar B. »

As Lisa said, I echo everyone's comments! What a fabulous tasting! The best port tasting I have ever had!! :NotWorthy: A fantastic group of very knowledgeable people, I always leave knowing more about port than before. Once a year is not enough.

Don't forget...Chef Steve and I can provide a memorable experience out here in the wilds of the PNW. :winepour: :yumyum:
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Edgar B. wrote:Don't forget...Chef Steve and I can provide a memorable experience out here in the wilds of the PNW. :winepour: :yumyum:
If you hold it, they will come...

No, really, I don't have to be the organizer for all of the tastings in the PNW! That's why we only have 1-2 per year... that's all the more often that I get the urge to organize one myself. If there were others being organized, I'd definitely participate! I'd even make placemats for others' tastings... :wink:
Glenn Elliott
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Thanks especially to Glenn and everyone else for coming and/or helping out. What a weekend! Off hand I can't remember a Vintage Port tasting that I've loved as much as that one. Just superb! And the Saturday tasting.... wow! What a treat! [cheers.gif]
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Glenn did a fantastic job of organizing and everything turned out beautifully. Some really stunning bottles both days.

Thanks to the generosity of all participants! [yahoo.gif]

There will definitely be one more Port event at the hotel later this year. I need to survive the upcoming pair of back-to-back Port Harvest Tours. I'll put up a weekend date that I know is free.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com