Roy's Top 12 Tasting, March 31st, Seattle

This site is for discussion of travel to the "Land of Port & Madeira" as well as food related to Port or Portugal. Additionally your Offline tasting events can be planned and reviewed here.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Re: Roy's Top 12 Tasting, March 31st, Seattle

Post by Roy Hersh »

David,

All that really matters is that you get healthy. There will always be more Port events to attend. Let us know when you are better! [cheers.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Roy's Top 12 Tasting, March 31st, Seattle

Post by David Spriggs »

Thanks Roy. I appreciate the nice thoughts!
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

David Spriggs wrote:Unfortunately, I've run into a health issue and cannot drink over the next several weeks. So I'm going to withdraw from the tasting. I'm bummed! I'm sure the tasting will be superb. I'll be thinking about you guys on Saturday!
I look forward to the tNs. [1974_eating_popcorn.gif]
I hope you get better soon.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

A few last minute attendee changes. We're now locked in with the hotel at 12.

We have access to the room starting at 5:00 pm and if I can get everything set up and all of the Ports poured quickly enough, we'll start tasting at 6:00 pm.

See you all on Saturday night!

[dance2.gif]
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Everything is in decanter and can't wait for another few hours!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Hope everything shows well! [cheers.gif]
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

I'm leaving for the hotel now... see you all soon!
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

So how'd it go? The Ports all show well?
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

One of the more consistently great showings that I can remember, with the notable (and disappointing) exception of the 1997 Noval which smelled and tasted of rubber. Not quite sure what was wrong with it, but it was clearly not right.

Of note, the 1983 Cockburn was fantastic. Not a trace of TCA! As good as it was, though, I had it 4th in its flight because it was facing the 1985 Fonseca, 1991 Croft, and 1992 Taylor.

Some thought the T92 might be corked. Others thought not. Based on my secondary observations it must have been very low-level TCA because I thought the fruits were bold and marvelous, and that's generally the only way I can tell that there might be something wrong.
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Not to sound self-serving, but this was the best Port tasting in recent memory. One stunning VP after the next. A HUGE thank you to Glenn for the idea and his extraordinary generosity. What an amazing night and I must say, that people were blown away by the showing of these wines. GREAT to have a clean and excellent 1983 Cockburn as Glenn mentioned. I was so darn sad the 1997 Noval did not show well. I've had all the others many times, but that 1997 ... very few indeed.

The 1992 was badly corked. I picked it up the first time I smelled the glass and by the time we got to that flight, it was absolutely horrid. However, one person said it was their favorite wine of the night and most others had big scores for it. There was only ONE other person who had TCA from the get go and it was Blair Curtis. I was not surprised that some people didn't get it, but I did expect Stewart would and he didn't. I took one sip and poured the rest of mine out and couldn't think of trying it again. Listening to everyone's comments, I was truly surprised. This was NOT low level TCA, but was undeniable on the nose which was worse, until the palate got real bad as this was in the 2nd flight which came about 2 hours into our tasting.

Anyway, not to harp on that one or the 1997. The other 10 of 12 bottles were simply showing at peak performance, except maybe the 1977 Taylor which was a late entry (replacing a corked one) and did not have enough time in decanter but still showed very solid nonetheless.

Loved lots of the others. Biggest surprise beyond the Cockburn's beauty, was the 1991 Croft rocking the rafters.

Thanks again to Glenn, this was one of our best local tastings of young/middle aged VP's ever! [notworthy.gif]
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Roy Hersh wrote:Biggest surprise beyond the Cockburn's beauty, was the 1991 Croft rocking the rafters.
Yeah that '91 Croft was amazing. Mind-blowing. I had it above the F85, and this was in no way a sub-standard F85. That should speak volumes.
Roy Hersh wrote:Thanks again to Glenn, this was one of our best local tastings of young/middle aged VP's ever! [notworthy.gif]
My pleasure! I'm really happy that the '83 Cockburn was a good one. I've had it before and thought it was very good, only to be told that it was corked so no one else could enjoy it. This time the joy was shared by everyone. [yahoo.gif] Since I bought my two bottles from the same source, with a little luck the other one will also be good. [beg.gif] I guess we'll find out in about 10 years!

But really, we had consistently good showings across the board. Normally at a tasting like this there are one or two bottles that just don't show as well as they should - not counting bottles like our '97 Noval that was clearly flawed. This lineup was rock-solid all down the line, though, and off the top of my head I can't remember another tasting like that. Everything (that wasn't flawed) showed well - the G66, F70, and T77 were all fabulously well-aged Ports. The D80, Ck83, and F85 were all beautifully middle-aged. And then starting with the Cr91 we had a superb progression from an "older youngster" right through the still-a-baby Pt03. Many thanks to Roy for the article and inspiration for the tasting - I think we all understand just how impressive that lineup is now!

Now I need a break. After three big tastings on three weekends in a row, I'm a bit worn out. I clearly need more [d_training.gif]

[rotfl.gif]
Glenn Elliott
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

Glenn, it's like running. The more you do, the better you get! [cheers.gif]