1983 Vintage Port - 30 Year Retrospective

This site is for discussion of travel to the "Land of Port & Madeira" as well as food related to Port or Portugal. Additionally your Offline tasting events can be planned and reviewed here.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Maurice Fitzhugh

Re: 1983 Vintage Port - 30 Year Retrospective

Post by Maurice Fitzhugh »

I put in the Quinta do Noval single Quinta
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Maurice Fitzhugh wrote:I put in the Quinta do Noval single Quinta
Quite a rarity! I've never seen one before... I'm not even sure that I'd heard of it before. Noval Silval, sure... but not an actual Noval Quinta do Silval.

As for how it showed, that's really hard to say. I've never had it before and I don't think that anyone else had, either, so we have nothing to base an opinion on. I thought it was good, but just good. I doubt I'd buy it if I saw one for sale unless it was ridiculously inexpensive, because at just about any price I think I could find something that I'd like better.

So it was really fun to get to try it - rarities always are - but I won't be looking for it to try again.
Glenn Elliott
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

I'm glad everyone had a good time. Just sorry I had to miss it! [shrug.gif]
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Glenn E. wrote:
Maurice Fitzhugh wrote:I put in the Quinta do Noval single Quinta
Quite a rarity! I've never seen one before... I'm not even sure that I'd heard of it before. Noval Silval, sure... but not an actual Noval Quinta do Silval.

As for how it showed, that's really hard to say. I've never had it before and I don't think that anyone else had, either, so we have nothing to base an opinion on. I thought it was good, but just good. I doubt I'd buy it if I saw one for sale unless it was ridiculously inexpensive, because at just about any price I think I could find something that I'd like better.

So it was really fun to get to try it - rarities always are - but I won't be looking for it to try again.
+1
A treat for sure to see and sample such a unique bottle. Probably time to drink them up now, if you have others, as this bottle seemed to be in a state where it wasn't going to improve further. Thank you for putting it in for us to try!
-Brad

Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

After this weekend, this looks like a steal at $85 for a magnum:
http://www.winebid.com/Item/4308525/1983-Ramos-Pinto
Anyone know who "borderboss of IL" is?
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

In hindsight, this was a really fun tasting. I think we all saw that 1983 has some winners and other VP's that are just no longer drinking well at this time. Outside of that 1/2 bottle, I think the vast majority of bottles showed up to their potential. I will be writing an article for the newsletter and may put it before my article on the Verdelho tasting. Not sure yet. Anyway, I want to thank all of the participants who came from CA and CO as well as the local folks and lots of new faces in the mix made this really fun. Great to have the FTLOP staff all together for the first time in a long time!

My sincere thanks to Glenn who helped a ton, behind the scenes and made this event turn out pretty seamlessly.

My only regret from the tasting is that we did not obtain a 20th bottle. We had that coming but someone pulled out at the last second. Anyway, we were able to replace some of the wines from those that did cancel, but fell short by one.

Next year with 1994 to be done in the same fashion, I am pretty positive we'll need two days to make our way through a very comprehensive horizontal tasting.

Thanks again to all that did attend and special kudos to Maurice for having the class to forward his bottle on to me when he knew he was not going to be able to make it. That was very much appreciated! I hope you are mending and post surgery will be recuperating quickly. :scholar:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Did someone say 1994? Did I say Vesuvio? I'd be happy to bring that, or one of the many other labels I have from that year. I may have overbought 1994, but I need a tasting to be sure.
:winebath:
Miguel Simoes

Post by Miguel Simoes »

1994 next year sounds wonderful! Have 7 different bottlings I could help with.
Won't be easy to convince the wife of cross country travel for it though! Have it in NY instead? Could help plan :)
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

1992 last year. 1983 this year. 1994 next year, then 1985 the following year, then 1966 the year after that, followed by 1977/1997. It seems we have quite a series going!

I have a few 1994s that I can contribute, but my collection isn't extensive. I think I only have 4-5 different ones.

However... I already have 23 different 1985s and a firm commitment from someone to provide a 24th so we're already looking at a rockin' 30-year retrospective in 2015. I also have a list of 5-6 more that wouldn't be too difficult to procure, so I'm pretty sure we could get to 30 different bottles if we really wanted to! I think we'll have to do this one over two days. :drunk:
Glenn Elliott
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

That series sounds amazing!
-Brad

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I have more than 25 producers of 1997 to be done in 2017. :mrgreen:
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Speaking of 1994's ... I am sure one of our generous guests will be happy to part with one of their new bottles of Nacional. :yumyum:

I have a feeling this thread might go dark for awhile now. :lol:
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

[foilhat.gif] Nothing to see hear, please move along.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Or how about a 1964 retrospective next year? You never know, there might be someone on FTLOP who has a decent collection of vintage ports from 1964.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

Al B. wrote:Or how about a 1964 retrospective next year? You never know, there might be someone on FTLOP who has a decent collection of vintage ports from 1964.
[berserker.gif]

Move along, there's nothing to see here. These are not the Ports you're looking for.
Glenn Elliott
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Al B. wrote:Or how about a 1964 retrospective next year? You never know, there might be someone on FTLOP who has a decent collection of vintage ports from 1964.
I'm liking This idea. Around march would be good :)
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com