1983 Vintage Port - 30 Year Retrospective

This site is for discussion of travel to the "Land of Port & Madeira" as well as food related to Port or Portugal. Additionally your Offline tasting events can be planned and reviewed here.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: 1983 Vintage Port - 30 Year Retrospective

Post by Andy Velebil »

Bradley Bogdan wrote:
Carl D wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:Sorry for delay replying. A good idea so we can really take our time to enjoy and evaluate them.
That, and 16 people with purple teeth wandering around Sammamish/Issaquah between rounds should make for quite a sight!
+1!
Oh I can visualize this....all we need is a little ketchup and we'll have night of the living dead :lol:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Well in signing the contract, I've extended the hours for our room at the hotel. Therefore, the extended stay ... two part tasting is now in order.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Roy Hersh wrote:Well in signing the contract, I've extended the hours for our room at the hotel. Therefore, the extended stay ... two part tasting is now in order.
WOOHOO!

Ok everyone, start [d_training.gif]
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Carl D

Post by Carl D »

Roy Hersh wrote:Well in signing the contract, I've extended the hours for our room at the hotel. Therefore, the extended stay ... two part tasting is now in order.
Which hotel?
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Sounds great! I'm looking forward to it! [friends.gif]
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Holiday Inn Issaquah. Reasonably priced guest rooms there!
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Carl D

Post by Carl D »

Roy Hersh wrote:Holiday Inn Issaquah. Reasonably priced guest rooms there!
Cool :)

Maybe we could get take-out from Max's World Cafe for dinner between sessions.. :)
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

I just picked up on this thread - it sounds interesting.

We are in the process of planning a 1983 v 1985 double horizontal in the UK that might happen around the same time as this. It will be good to compare notes on the 83s 8--)
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Carl,

I'd love to make that happen, but as Glenn and I learned last year, they no longer permit outside food to be brought in anymore.

Derek,

It will be great to have you guys doing a 1983/1985 dueling horizontals. [cheers.gif]
Carl D

Post by Carl D »

Roy Hersh wrote:Carl,

I'd love to make that happen, but as Glenn and I learned last year, they no longer permit outside food to be brought in anymore.
Yeah, I figured - hotels generally don't let you bring in outisde food if they have any dining services on site. One can dream though!
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

We did bring in Edna's food at one point last year or late 2011 ... I forget which. Anyway, I was there with Dorene and Taylor on Friday night. Her husband is going through the permit process on a new place they will be adding a few blocks away to expand the number of tables and chairs they will have at their disposal. I wish we had a way to transport everyone there, as I would have the whole group go for an early dinner there. If anyone has any ideas? (Not enough cabs in our entire area to pull that off).
Carl D

Post by Carl D »

Well, Phyllis and I willl either drive up or we'll be renting a car, so we could take a couple with us. Maybe we can get it done with simple car pooling - seems like we should be able to get everyone moved in 4 cars or so. Of course there is the matter of the 20% ABV wine we'll be tasting that could cause a snag in that plan.
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Carl D wrote:Well, Phyllis and I willl either drive up or we'll be renting a car, so we could take a couple with us. Maybe we can get it done with simple car pooling - seems like we should be able to get everyone moved in 4 cars or so. Of course there is the matter of the 20% ABV wine we'll be tasting that could cause a snag in that plan.
If you're interested, lemme know your plans and I might be interested in carpooling with the two of you up north and back, potentially meeting someplace you're passing trough anyway (redding perhaps?).
-Brad

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

That's the spirit! [cheers.gif]
Carl D

Post by Carl D »

Bradley Bogdan wrote:If you're interested, lemme know your plans and I might be interested in carpooling with the two of you up north and back, potentially meeting someplace you're passing trough anyway (redding perhaps?).
Unfortunately, it looks like at this point, we're either flying up, or we'll end up having to cancel. We're triple-booked for that weekend now, and something's going to have to give - just haven't decided which yet!
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Carl D wrote:Unfortunately, it looks like at this point, we're either flying up, or we'll end up having to cancel. We're triple-booked for that weekend now, and something's going to have to give - just haven't decided which yet!
Assuming the other two bookings are not winning the lottery and a night with the Brazilian beach volleyball team I assume you are going to the Port tasting? [cheers.gif]
Carl D

Post by Carl D »

Derek T. wrote:Assuming the other two bookings are not winning the lottery and a night with the Brazilian beach volleyball team I assume you are going to the Port tasting? [cheers.gif]
It's looking like the Port tasting will win out, one other event is definitely out of the running, and the third should be able to co-exist. We'll see in a couple weeks, I guess!
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

As of my return on April 1st, I'll be working on this tasting with more diligence however much of the details are already carved in stone.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Does anyone happen to know if there is a 1983 Ferreira in addition to their Quinta do Seixo 1983 SQVP?
Carl D

Post by Carl D »

Roy Hersh wrote:Does anyone happen to know if there is a 1983 Ferreira in addition to their Quinta do Seixo 1983 SQVP?
For what it's worth, I saw no evidence of one at all on wine-searcher when I found the Qta. do Seixo. (Actually I did see a couple that purported to be the main Ferreira label, but close inspection showed that they were actually the Qta do Seixo as well - best I could tell anyway).