1983 Vintage Port - 30 Year Retrospective

This site is for discussion of travel to the "Land of Port & Madeira" as well as food related to Port or Portugal. Additionally your Offline tasting events can be planned and reviewed here.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Bradley Bogdan

Re: 1983 Vintage Port - 30 Year Retrospective

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Actually, nix my previous post, I'm in for the Nacional. You call all weigh in on one of those bottles mislabeled at auction from a few months ago. :thanks:
-Brad

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Bradley,

Nice upgrade and thank you, it will be very nice to meet you in person! [cheers.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Tom D.

Post by Tom D. »

UGH! I should have known better than to commit before checking with my wife's master calendar. Family gathering already planned for 4/20-21.

Please scratch me from the list.

Sorry Roy :(
Tom D.
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

As silly as it sounds, it didn't even dawn on me until I looked at cellartracker that it was an '83. Can't wait to put some faces with some names!
-Brad

Stewart T.

Post by Stewart T. »

Bradley Bogdan wrote:I'm in! If Tom is set on finding a bottle of the Fonseca, I'd be happy to bring an '83 Taylors. If Tom is able to hunt something else down though, I'd prefer to bring the Fonseca, as I wouldn't have to make a (quite long) side trip to fetch the bottle at some point this spring.
The only 83s I have are Taylor, so I will bring that if the chips fall for Tom and Bradley.
Stewart T. (Admin) [email protected]
Carl D

Post by Carl D »

We'll bring Ramos Pinto and Ferreira Quinta do Seixo.
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Sign me up. Smith Woodhouse.

p.s. I know you don't generally like to deal with half bottles, but I'm thinking I could bring a 750 as well as two 375s to see the difference :scholar:
Last edited by Eric Menchen on Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Tom,

Sorry to hear that! [dash1.gif]
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

OK, so what do you think of this idea?

Instead of having one crazy marathon ... which it will be anyway, what if:

I add in a bunch more Ports and break the day into 2 distinct tastings. After everyone comes to taste after lunch (on your own), we have a 1-5 p.m. session, break for dinner, going to somewhere we can walk to ... and then come back for the 7 p.m. - 11 p.m. session.

That way each four hour segment would include a maximum of a dozen bottles. I realize this would be a long day/night event, but some people are coming great distances to attend. We want them to depart having had a remarkable experience.

Thoughts on this possibility?
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Sounds like a good idea to me, provided everyone is arriving in time to make it to the early session. Having a break in the middle would help a lot in making it through a big horizontal.
Glenn Elliott
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Seems like a great idea to me!
-Brad

Maurice Fitzhugh

Post by Maurice Fitzhugh »

Sounds likes a long day I hope I have the endurance to survive. It will be a great experience. Looking forward to it.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

As I tell people who are coming on our tours; start getting in practice as if this was a marathon race. Jog today, aim for a 5k by the end of the month, move to a 10k or half marathon and you'll be ready. [foilhat.gif]
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Roy Hersh wrote:As I tell people who are coming on our tours; start getting in practice as if this was a marathon race. Jog today, aim for a 5k by the end of the month, move to a 10k or half marathon and you'll be ready. [foilhat.gif]
Valentine's Day Dash 5k this weekend, Hot Chocolate 15k on March 3rd, Portland Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon on May 19th, Seattle Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon on June 22nd. [dance2.gif]

Or did you mean Port?

ACPT "Baga-esque" tasting March 9th, 1983 30-year retrospective April 20th, FTLOP Anniversary end of July. :winepour: And yes, the "gap" in May and June is deliberate!

I'm always training for something! [d_training.gif]
Glenn Elliott
Carl D

Post by Carl D »

Carl D wrote:We'll bring Ramos Pinto and Ferreira Quinta do Seixo.
Both are now on-hand in excellent physical shape. We'll bring these up with us - I expect we'll drive up the day before, but we'll leave that till the last minute to decide - why start planning ahead at this late date? :)
Carl D

Post by Carl D »

Roy Hersh wrote:OK, so what do you think of this idea...?
Forgot to comment on this part - I think that'd be awesome! It might mean we leave home a day earlier to be ready to drink port earlier on Saturday - but that's a small sacrifice to make.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Roy Hersh wrote:OK, so what do you think of this idea?

Instead of having one crazy marathon ... which it will be anyway, what if:

I add in a bunch more Ports and break the day into 2 distinct tastings. After everyone comes to taste after lunch (on your own), we have a 1-5 p.m. session, break for dinner, going to somewhere we can walk to ... and then come back for the 7 p.m. - 11 p.m. session.

That way each four hour segment would include a maximum of a dozen bottles. I realize this would be a long day/night event, but some people are coming great distances to attend. We want them to depart having had a remarkable experience.

Thoughts on this possibility?
Sorry for delay replying. A good idea so we can really take our time to enjoy and evaluate them.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Carl D

Post by Carl D »

Andy Velebil wrote:Sorry for delay replying. A good idea so we can really take our time to enjoy and evaluate them.
That, and 16 people with purple teeth wandering around Sammamish/Issaquah between rounds should make for quite a sight!
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

Carl D wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:Sorry for delay replying. A good idea so we can really take our time to enjoy and evaluate them.
That, and 16 people with purple teeth wandering around Sammamish/Issaquah between rounds should make for quite a sight!
+1!
-Brad

Carl D

Post by Carl D »

Phyllis is currently unable to post - but she's in favor of the two-phase approach as well. :)