Francesinha

This site is for discussion of travel to the "Land of Port & Madeira" as well as food related to Port or Portugal. Additionally your Offline tasting events can be planned and reviewed here.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Eric Menchen

Re: Francesinha

Post by Eric Menchen »

Phil W wrote:I take it that you gents feel that Bufete Fase is the place for the best Francesinha?
It was closed when I walked there (felt like more than 1 km), so I can't say for sure. But a :ftlop: group voted it the best in Porto.
Mika H

Post by Mika H »

I know for sure that Sara left Bufete Fase out of the list intentionally. And why is that? She told me that one of the main reasons is that Bufete Fase started to use frozen french fries instead of fresh or self made with their Francesinha. It's the little things! That's what i call pedantic. :)
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Without a question. In fact, you will find the window plaque that I presented to Bufete Fase's owner more than a half decade ago, still sitting proudly in their front window: The Best Francesinha in Porto plaque. Well deserved! I discovered that place in the latter part of the last decade and have been loyal ever since.

As for Brasão Cervejaria, that is owned by our friend Sergio Cambas, known for O'Paparico. His first brew pub, 2 blocks from Infante Sagres has done very well and their version of the Francesinha is very good, indeed. Not up to par with Bufete Fase, but still quite delicious. Later this year, he is opening a 2nd Brasão Cervejaria, which will have 200-300 seats.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Mika H wrote:I know for sure that Sara left Bufete Fase out of the list intentionally. And why is that? She told me that one of the main reasons is that Bufete Fase started to use frozen french fries instead of fresh or self made with their Francesinha. It's the little things! That's what i call pedantic. :)
Huh, interesting that someone would downgrade the rating of a sandwich because of the fries that come with it. Isn't it supposed to be a list of the best Francesinhas, not the best Francesinha & Fries? Most of the time I don't even eat all of the fries... they're really not the point!

[shrug.gif]

And yes, Phil, Bufete Fase is the go-to place for Francesinhas for a lot of us here on FTLOP. I wasn't part of the group that did the judging when Roy awarded Bufete Fase with "The Best Francesinha in Porto", but I've tried ... oh, I don't know, probably 8-10 different places? Some trips I have Francesinha for lunch and dinner for a couple of days before or after the tour. :-)

That said, at least a couple of the places on this list didn't exist when I was last in Porto, so maybe they've upped the ante when it comes to Francesinha in Porto!
Glenn Elliott
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Glenn E. wrote:Huh, interesting that someone would downgrade the rating of a sandwich because of the fries that come with it. Isn't it supposed to be a list of the best Francesinhas, not the best Francesinha & Fries? Most of the time I don't even eat all of the fries... they're really not the point!
Well, the title of the article is What are the BEST restaurants for Francesinha?
So it would seem there is a little consideration for more than just the sandwich itself.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Agree with Glenn, french fries should not cause a place to be overlooked. Put that in the review if you want, blast away at the use of the frozen fries IF that really bugs you, but why miss out on the sandwich? That really makes no sense to me.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Eric Menchen wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:Huh, interesting that someone would downgrade the rating of a sandwich because of the fries that come with it. Isn't it supposed to be a list of the best Francesinhas, not the best Francesinha & Fries? Most of the time I don't even eat all of the fries... they're really not the point!
Well, the title of the article is What are the BEST restaurants for Francesinha?
So it would seem there is a little consideration for more than just the sandwich itself.
Hmm... yes, I guess so. Still feels wrong to me. [shrug.gif]
Glenn Elliott