Michelin Stars - Restaurants in Portugal - November 2016

This site is for discussion of travel to the "Land of Port & Madeira" as well as food related to Port or Portugal. Additionally your Offline tasting events can be planned and reviewed here.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Mario Ferreira

Post by Mario Ferreira »

* PORTO area:
The Yeatman / Ricardo Costa, Vila Nova de Gaia.
Antiqvvm / Vitor Matos, Porto.
Casa de Chá da Boa Nova / Rui Paula, Leça da Palmeira.
Pedro Lemos / Pedro Lemos, Porto
Casa da Calçada / André Silva, Amarante (located 60km / 50min from Porto).

* LISBOA area:
Belcanto / JoséAvillez, Lisboa.
Alma / Henrique Sá Pessoa, Lisboa.
Eleven / Joachim Koerper, Lisboa.
Feitoria / João Rodrigues, Lisboa.
LAB by Sergi Arola, Penha Longa.
Loco / Alexandre Silva, Lisboa

* ALENTEJO area:
L’And Vineyards / Miguel Laffan, Montemor-o-Novo - in ALENTEJO - (located 106km / 1h20min from Lisbon)

* MADEIRA area:
William (Reid's hotel) / Luís Pestana, Funchal.
Il Gallo d’Oro (The Cliff Bay Hotel) / Benoit Sinthon, Funchal.

* ALGARVE area:
Willie’s / Willie Wurger, Vilamoura.
Ocean / Hans Neuner, Alporcinhos
Vila Joya / Dieter Koschina, Albufeira.
Bon Bon / Rui Silvestre, Carvoeiro.
São Gabriel /Leonel Pereira, Almancil.
Henrique Leis / Henrique Leis, Almancil.

David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Re: Michelin Stars - Restaurants in Portugal - November 2016

Post by David Spriggs »

How could O Paparico and DOC not be starred? Anyway... Lots of places to taste! :-)
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

David Spriggs wrote:How could O Paparico and DOC not be starred? Anyway... Lots of places to taste! :-)
Let's keep it that way. We know they are good, but once they get a star, the price and crowds will go up.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Eric Menchen wrote:
David Spriggs wrote:How could O Paparico and DOC not be starred? Anyway... Lots of places to taste! :-)
Let's keep it that way. We know they are good, but once they get a star, the price and crowds will go up.
Yup. Perhaps they didn't want to be rated, thankfully. If they do stand by to never get a reservation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Phil W

Post by Phil W »

I think that's a slightly selfish view guys. O Paparico provide excellent food and customer service, and I hope they do get the star I feel they deserve in recognition of their efforts, even if that makes more expensive and harder to get a reservation.
(I only mention O Paparico as I have not eaten at DOC).
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Phil W wrote:I think that's a slightly selfish view guys. O Paparico provide excellent food and customer service, and I hope they do get the star I feel they deserve in recognition of their efforts, even if that makes more expensive and harder to get a reservation.
(I only mention O Paparico as I have not eaten at DOC).
I don't think it's selfish in the slightest. IMO the kiss of death for an excellent small restaurant, like the ones mentioned, is to become too popular. O Paparico actually reduced the seating in it to keep it small and so it would not lose its touch. If it's get a star everyone will want to come, which forces out your regulars and those who've supported it, then when the brew-ha-ha settles down and all those people stop coming (usually because a new "in" place has popped up) your regulars have moved on to somewhere else and don't want to come back. I for one am glad some restaurants don't want to be on some "star list."
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Phil W

Post by Phil W »

I think it's a perspective issue. I agree completely regarding it being a pity when a restaurant (or a special vintage tawny) becomes only available to the wealthy, and not to those that have supported it through their growth, if that happens. I certainly applaud any restaurant attempting to avoid that in the way you describe. I would not however hope that they do not achieve success that they deserve simply for my own benefit. Perhaps comments were not from that perspective, in which case my initial reaction was unwarranted.