A tasting with Moses

This site is for discussion of travel to the "Land of Port & Madeira" as well as food related to Port or Portugal. Additionally your Offline tasting events can be planned and reviewed here.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Mike K.

A tasting with Moses

Post by Mike K. »

A few Saturday's back Moses Botbol graciously hosted a port tasting at his home. There were four of us in total. Moses proposed a theme of 1960's VP with comparable tawny's from the same producer.

The official lineup included Dow's 1963 VP, Dow's 40 Tawny, Sandeman 1963 VP, and Sandeman 40 Tawny. Moses also added in a Kopke dry red and a D'Oliveiras Terrantez Madeira.

After a period of tasty snacks, great conversation, and excellent wine, Moses got serious and pressed us for our opinions. I started with a disclaimer that while I had enjoyed enough fine whiskies over the years to give accurate notes and scores, I am a relative newbie to port and hadn't tasted enough bottles to have good reference points. So with that, here we go ...

1963 Dow VP – Big fruit up front, full bodied, nice rich mouth feel. Transitioned to alcoholic and finished dry. I quite enjoyed the big rich fruitiness at first, but as the night progressed that aspect became less interesting and the alcohol notes started to detract. 90 points.

1963 Sandeman VP - Very nice, but felt much thinner in flavor and mouth feel than the Dow's at first. As the night progressed I changed my opinion and felt the Sandeman was far better balanced and nuanced than the Dow's. 93 points.

Dow's 40 Tawny - Sweet with significant spice including cinnamon and cloves. Some acidity but the sweetness dominates. Score 90

Sandeman 40 Tawny - Perfect balance of sweetness and acidity. Both present themselves clearly and coexist well. Flavors of dark fruit and cooked caramel. I love the acidity in balance. Score 94.

The Kopke and Madeira were also excellent and provided great counterpoints. No formal notes on these.

All four of the ports were excellent. I would be pleased to sit and contemplate any one of them. Only when compared side to side did preferences emerge. I tend to prefer tawny's at the moment, and gave them an edge over the VP's. The favorite bottle of the night (not unanimous) was the Sandeman 40 Tawny.

Thank you again Moses for your tremendous hospitality. It was a great evening and I hope to do it again soon.
Mike K.

Re: A tasting with Moses

Post by Mike K. »

Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Was a good night and fun one at that. For me, the 1963 Sandeman was also the WOTN along with their 40 year besting the Dow's. Sandeman vintages don't get much talk, but they should. Both the tawny and the vintage Sandeman tasted "older" than the Dow's.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Who is that unshaven man? Moses, you need to come out west. I swear we have better weather winter weather. :lol: Great line up and thanks for the recap. How were the dry wines and Madeira? What year was the Kopke Douro?
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Andy Velebil wrote: Great line up and thanks for the recap. How were the dry wines and Madeira? What year was the Kopke Douro?
The Kopke Reserva was 2009; part of the FTLOP Kopke offer a while back. Great wine; just enough polish that it does not taste over done, yet goes beyond the rustic style. It's "just right". That is my good to Madeira if anything vintage. Has to be one of the better deals remaining in Madeira (beyond the '68).
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Moses Botbol wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote: Great line up and thanks for the recap. How were the dry wines and Madeira? What year was the Kopke Douro?
The Kopke Reserva was 2009; part of the FTLOP Kopke offer a while back. Great wine; just enough polish that it does not taste over done, yet goes beyond the rustic style. It's "just right". That is my good to Madeira if anything vintage. Has to be one of the better deals remaining in Madeira (beyond the '68).
Ah ok. And I'll split off the TN's into their own shortly.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Mike K.

Post by Mike K. »

Last night I returned the favor and hosted a few folks at my house including Moses Botbol and his lovely lady.

The lineup included:
* Graham's Malvedos 1964
* Fonseca VP 1970
* Graham's VP 1970
* Martinez VP 1963
* Calem VP 1966

The Graham's, Graham's Malvedos, and Martinez all showed very well and were universally popular. The Fonseca seemed a bit corked, but Moses still found nice qualities in it. The Calem was very pleasant but clearly not in the same league as the other bottles in depth and complexity.

The Graham's 1970 was the overall group favorite, but the Graham's Malvedos edged it out for me.

TN's to follow ..
Andy Velebil

Post by Andy Velebil »

Cool line up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk