Best hotel in Lisbon?

This site is for discussion of travel to the "Land of Port & Madeira" as well as food related to Port or Portugal. Additionally your Offline tasting events can be planned and reviewed here.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Christian Gollnick

Best hotel in Lisbon?

Post by Christian Gollnick »

Hi Friends, I know Porto better than my own children... but often I am asked "What is the best hotel in Lisbon?" - and then it's always so embarrassing to say "Oh, I don't know". In Porto I can give you within seconds a list of 10 great hotels and what makes them special... but I have no idea about Lisbon... I personally stay there in the TURIM RESTAURADORES HOTEL and I'm happy... but I'm cheap and just need a place to crash, so I'm fine with it... But if you have very deep pockets and money isn't important... Which hotel is the BEST in Lisbon? And why? Thanks for eduacting me... :-)
Eric Menchen

Re: Best hotel in Lisbon?

Post by Eric Menchen »

I can't answer the question, because I stayed at an AirBnB listing the last time I was there, and if I'm going to be there for more than a day or two, I'll do that again. I do find searching on their website to have some flaws, but I like the end results.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I can't say which is the BEST, but I can tell you which one I have enjoyed the MOST.

So far, unquestionably: ALTIS BELEM. The guest rooms and dining room food is fantastic, the location on the water is phenomenal, the number of local sites/eateries/museums/landmarks etc. will be hard to beat. That being said, it is 5-10 minute cab ride to the heart of the city, or an hour's walk. Regardless, of the places I've stayed, nothing has matched this.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Roy Hersh wrote:ALTIS BELEM. ... That being said, it is 5-10 minute cab ride to the heart of the city, or an hour's walk.
I would think that would be a 20+ minute drive into town, 1.5 hour walk. You can also walk ~15 minutes to the Belem stop on the Línea de Cascaes and take the commuter train. There are lots of things to see around there.
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

20 mins. to go 6 km? [shok.gif]

Anyway, where its 10 or 20 ... we'll split the diff and say that the Altis Belem has enough in the area to keep you busy for 48 hours, it is an excellent hotel and within a 5 minute walk of the best pateis de nata I've ever eaten.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Roy Hersh wrote:20 mins. to go 6 km? [shok.gif]
Anyway, where its 10 or 20 ... we'll split the diff and say that the Altis Belem has enough in the area to keep you busy for 48 hours, it is an excellent hotel and within a 5 minute walk of the best pateis de nata I've ever eaten.
Where I picked in Lisbon, Google said 7.7 km, 20 minutes. Most of that is probably the traffic downtown on the little streets. If you just want to get to Cais do Sodré (metro stop there), that's a straight shot 6.5 km and 12 minutes. But I won't argue with anything else you wrote.
Christian Gollnick

Post by Christian Gollnick »

Hello Eric and Roy - thanks for your input. I must confess that I have never even heard about the ALTIS BELEM - but what I saw about them on the internet looks really nice... AirBnB is of course also a great way to stay in Lisbon - I have done it myself a few times and will continue to do it. My lucky daughter will be in Lisbon for the Guns n' Roses concert in June... and AirBnB is definitely the way for her to go... But for my friend with the deep pockets I will recommend the Four Seasons Hotel Ritz Lisbon and the Altis Belem...
Sete Mares

Post by Sete Mares »

Hello Christian . I'm from Portugal but not from Lisbon. So I stay many nights in Lisbon, knowing many hotels.
Fours Seasons is a great hotel, the most iconic hotel building in Lisbon, but is a classic hotel (not my style). On the other hand Altis Belém is a modern hotel, with the best location over Tagus River, but for me it is not the best choice.
For me the best choices:
Porto Bay Liberdade
Myriad by Sana Hotels
Sheraton Lisbon
I recommend book through http://djoaov.traveltool.pt/hotelsshowcase for the best price
Enjoy Lisbon !

Enviado do meu iPad usando o Tapatalk