1st Annual FTLOP Gala Port Celebration

This site is for discussion of travel to the "Land of Port & Madeira" as well as food related to Port or Portugal. Additionally your Offline tasting events can be planned and reviewed here.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Pick one or two weekends that work for you ... to join in our 1st Annual FTLOP Gala Port Celebration

Poll ended at Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:58 pm

January 2,3,4
4%
January 9, 10, 11
17%
January 23, 24, 25
35%
January 30, 31 and Feb. 1st
43%

Total votes: 23

Kris Henderson
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: 1st Annual FTLOP Gala Port Celebration

Post by Kris Henderson »

Roy Hersh wrote:This is not the time to be opening young bottles. Not that you need something from the 1920's but with all the great old Colheita we have around town, how about some of those? It doesn't have to be vintage. We'll want to have a nice mix.
Sounds good Roy. I was just wondering if there was going to be specific themes or if it's just old bottles in general. In addition to Douro table wines, count on an old Madeira and Colheita from me. Maybe a Vintage too.
Kris Henderson
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Kris Henderson »

Kris Henderson wrote:It would be great to see you again Kris. By the way, you are one of my favorites on Cellar Tracker! :D
I would love to see some Madeira... just a few to keep it interesting.
-Dave-
Hi Dave,

I'm looking forward to seeing you again as well as everyone else. No doubt this will be a great weekend. What's your handle on cellartracker? I recently changed mine to "kris.h".
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Roy Hersh wrote:Yes, Mr. C. keeps bragging about that. I think it would be a most generous move and good for the highlight reel, as most people have never seen a double mag and those that have, probably have only seen them ... never tasted one. I know I haven't ... at least not of Port.
One of my long term goals is to aquire a Double Magnum or Imperial of Port, just to have it as a showpiece. I probably wouldn't ever open it, and it would probably sit out on display in the house year round, so it would probably be in my better interest for it to be something cheap and not a VP. But I have no idea whether or not anything less than VP is ever bottled in the larger formats. I just think it would be fun to have!
Glenn Elliott
David Spriggs
Location: Boulder Creek, California, United States of America - USA

Post by David Spriggs »

Kris Henderson wrote:What's your handle on cellartracker?
PortFanatic -- what else!
David Spriggs

Post by David Spriggs »

I can also bring an interesting Madeira in addition to various Ports.
-Dave-
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

FYI, to make it easier to keep track of who is coming to the weekend celebration ... for those that want to look at the list, I have now included it in the very first posting of this thread on page 1. I will update it there, as with multiple pages, it will be far easier for folks to find it there, than scrolling around searching.

We have a great number of folks coming already and the door will remain open for other :ftlop: 'ers, of course. We'll plan the wines out more as we get closer in time. There will be groupings of the wines that we all put into the "kitty" and make cohesive tastings during the three days.

One question I have for you all:

Would you rather have seated and focused tastings, or have this like a giant cocktail party where you pour for yourselves, from bottles arranged on a large table with lots of glassware? I have my own ideas, but welcome input as to how you'd like to see this shape up.

Thanks!

Roy
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
David Spriggs

Post by David Spriggs »

I much prefer formal seated tastings when drinking older expensive wines. Something like your road show or the colheita tasting would be perfect. If we're having younger wines then a self service approach is great.

-Dave-
Erik Wiechers

Post by Erik Wiechers »

Too bad you all live so far away.
If it ain't dutch it ain't much

http://www.erikwiechers.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Why can't we do both?

A formal seated affair for the older, more expensive Ports, and an informal pour-your-own cocktail party for the rest.

I didn't realize that this was going to conflict with the Super Bowl... I'd have voted differently if I'd realized that was a possible problem. I thought the Super Bowl would be Feb 8th and out of the way. I will probably have to miss the Sunday affair if it's held that weekend. :cry:
Glenn Elliott
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

Formal and seated.

This could inevitably end up informal later on, but we should really take the time to go through the port properly, at least initially; placemats and all.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

I wish Ryanair would start flying to Seattle :roll:

Maybe Jo would like 2 tickets to Seattle for her Christmas present? :lol:
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Derek T. wrote:I wish Ryanair would start flying to Seattle :roll:

I think you two need to come to this. Jo can do some shoe shopping and you can drink some Port :mrgreen:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Andy Velebil wrote:
Derek T. wrote:I wish Ryanair would start flying to Seattle :roll:

I think you two need to come to this. Jo can do some shoe shopping and you can drink some Port :mrgreen:
Perhaps you should try to persuade Jo it's a good idea? After all, the two flights are cheaper than a bottle of Noval 1931 :devil:
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

Derek,

I'm thinking of the best forms of coercion that work on women. Shopping, museum visits, sunny beach vacations? Well 2 out of 3 ain't bad. Not a lot of sun here at that time of the year. But we do have a lot of tanning salons where the local women "believe" they are in the sun.

Another "tactic" is just to say, "Honey, I have no choice, but to go this time!" That should go over really well! :evil: Hmmm. How about ... "it has been so long since I've seen my Yank friends and after all, there will be a new President there. I can't think of a better reason to go across the pond to celebrate with some great Ports. Don't you want to come with me?" :shock:

You can tell her that Todd Pettinger from Edmonton is having the same dilemma and his wife is seriously considering his proposal. Of course he won't be able to leave the house for the next three years, but I've got him convinced ... this is worth it! :wink:

In all seriousness, it would be fantastic if you could make it.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

Roy,

You have met Jo so you know that none of the lame excuses you ahve come up with will do the trick :help:

Believe me, I am giving this some serious thought. If I can be there I will. Keep that spare room free just in case :wink:

Derek
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

It's my daughter's room and the wine cellar that will have to be padlocked. :help: :mrgreen:
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Derek,
Have no fear, locks are easy to defeat :lick: :yumyum: :evil:
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Derek T.

Post by Derek T. »

I'm hoping Roy meant he is going to lock me in his cellar :devil:
Al B.

Post by Al B. »

Sadly, I think it is very unlikely that I will be able to make it in January. As much as I would love to be there, I just think with other commitments I have both at work and later in the year that I will have to sit this one out.

Have fun y'all.
Julian D. A. Wiseman

Post by Julian D. A. Wiseman »

My wife points cost more than most of yours, as she’s due in March. I can make the first weekend of 2009, Sat 3rd and Sun 4th, but none other. I recognise that isn’t suitable for most people, so I’m probably out. Sorry.