Make your own wine and save!

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Moses Botbol

Make your own wine and save!

Post by Moses Botbol »

Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Eric Menchen

Re: Make your own wine and save!

Post by Eric Menchen »

You can certainly make wine at home for a reasonable cost. I have done it once. I also have made beer at home, more times than I can remember, and I will continue to do so. But I probably won't make wine at home again. My wine came out o.k. and I could probably do better, but while I can make a beer that is as good or better than just about any I can purchase, I can't say the same for wine. When I make a beer, I can buy all the same ingredients that 99% of the breweries in the world can buy. (There are just a few breweries that do their own malting.) Making beer is all about the recipe formulation and the process. I think wine blending and process are very important, but the thing that makes a great wine great that I can't do at home is the work in the vineyard, the harvest, the selection ... Maybe if you get your own vineyard you can make something as good as any wine for sale, but that is no longer a reasonable cost.
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

I wouldn't try making wine at home, but beer I would give-a-go at it. My cousin has a beer supply store in Brookline, down the road from me.
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Matt K

Post by Matt K »

I think you've captured the essence of it Eric. I have friends that brew actively and generally their product ranges from good to excellent. The 2 guys I know who make wine well...uh, it's palatable but there's plenty of decent inexpensive wine that's far superior to what they're making. Another friend of mine has recently purchased a still and is making a batch of rum and I'm really looking forward to the end result.
mmmMadeira