TOCK - the new progressive system

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

TOCK - the new progressive system

Post by Roy Hersh »

I made a reservation for a restaurant that I'll be visiting at the end of June and received an invoice for the 3 of us to pay now IN FULL. I had never heard of this, but then learned:

http://www.eater.com/2014/11/30/7294795 ... ystem-tock
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Re: TOCK - the new progressive system

Post by Glenn E. »

Bleh. I think there's a lot of creator hype in that article.

I don't see this trend becoming the norm except possibly at the highest levels. In Seattle, for example, I could see it being used at The Herb Farm. I'm not aware of any other restaurants that are as in-demand as The Herb Farm, though, so can't really see it being successful anywhere else. Basically, if your restaurant is booked solid for at least the next 3 months, then it might be possible for you to make this work.

But seriously, does anyone actually think this would work at the Cheesecake Factory?
Glenn Elliott
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

I just don't see what makes this substantially different than open table other than possibly being a more simple, user friendly interface for both restaurant and diner. It doesn't seem like you couldn't just tweak open table to allow for deposits or up front charges.

The idea you could get rid of tipping is a pleasant idea with pre-pay though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad

Mark L

Post by Mark L »

I agree. I'm not against this concept, but I don't think it exactly betters our society, either. I feel this is one of those "inventions" (if I dare call it that) that preys on making an extra buck off a small percentage of people who will spend a little extra just to get ahead of the game. What that 'little extra' is and what 'the game' is varies greatly. In this particular case, it's restaurant reservations. I'm not sure this is one of those ideas that really moves society 'forward' as much as it finds financial gaps here and there and they try to fit in and grab whatever they can.

Sure, it comes down to supply, demand, basic economic stuff... "the price is what the market can bear" ... especially with what one may consider 'luxury entertainment:' things like sports tickets or even movie tickets (some of which have begun allowing people to buy tickets in advance, pick their seat, etc for an extra $2 convenience fee), etc.

I also agree that it pulls at the 'scarcity' string in all of us... if it's hard to get into, then I must have a seat..... (note: not necessarily 'if it's hard to get into, it must be good.') By making something scarce, it makes us want it more. That's why night clubs keep long lines outside, or Russian River Valley Brewing's Pliny the Younger is released a single day of the year.

Now, granted, the article says that sometimes what you pay for might actually be worth more once you get there...(again, playing up to demand metrics) but I have a feeling that will happen less often than we'd think. Just enough to keep us going, probably. I'll also acknowledge that this may generally be about making sure people do not skip out on their reservations and not showing up. Hotels do something similar... why not restaurants? The difference, of course, is that with hotels you must plan in advance for a trip anyway, whereas the need to plan 3 months ahead for a restaurant is rare.

Plus, perhaps the money they'll be making is not from the customer, but from the restaurant itself! $700 per month? I'd think for something that, as Glenn put it, may only be useful to the few restaurants that are booked solid 3 months in advance anyway... But then if they are booked 3 months in advance anyway, will they really use this unless they can make people pay MORE than what they'll actually get in value? (or at least, why would they use it unless it brings in more value than a booked solid restaurant already brings in?)

Then again, if Tock is thrifty, then they can maintain very very low overhead (once it is launched) and $700/month from every restaurant will be very nearly all profit. (again, after the initial fixed costs are covered).

Sounds to me, though, that they're trying to force restaurants' hands by having other restaurants start with it... a little peer pressure, if you will. I wouldn't be surprised if the partners' restaurants all had access to Tock WITHOUT the $700/month fee, just to get things going.

To echo Brad's point, though: OpenTable could easily add on this capability if it is deemed successful. And others could enter the market without too much barrier to entry.

Roy, what is your opinion? You might be the only one I know who has used this service!
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

I was recently watching Shark Tank (great show btw) and saw a couple guys starting an app that used this concept for bars. I feel that, while I'd chafe against paying a surcharge to eat at a restaurant, I'd potentially be willing to pay a "pre-cover" of sorts for a great stool at the bar of a great sports bar on game day. Their app got no funding on the show, but if they worked out the many concept issues they had, I could actually see using that one. Stools are generally a much more limited commodity and getting one often involves "camping" for a substantial amount of time before game time. Now, this isn't an issue if you're 22 and have all day to toss back beers until the game, but if you're (slightly) older and have things to do, that seat is worth an extra $10 to me.

-Brad

Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Bradley Bogdan wrote:I was recently watching Shark Tank (great show btw) and saw a couple guys starting an app that used this concept for bars. I feel that, while I'd chafe against paying a surcharge to eat at a restaurant, I'd potentially be willing to pay a "pre-cover" of sorts for a great stool at the bar of a great sports bar on game day. Their app got no funding on the show, but if they worked out the many concept issues they had, I could actually see using that one. Stools are generally a much more limited commodity and getting one often involves "camping" for a substantial amount of time before game time. Now, this isn't an issue if you're 22 and have all day to toss back beers until the game, but if you're (slightly) older and have things to do, that seat is worth an extra $10 to me.

I am totally against cover charges for bars. I'm coming to your place to spend money and you are going to charge me to walk in the door? Uh, no way, no how. I'll take my money somewhere else who appreciates me as a customer.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Post by Moses Botbol »

I like the concept of pre-booking/paying to dine offered at a discount. I mean Groupon... [shrug.gif]
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

I have to say, when that first email arrived asking me for nearly $600 for three of us to pay up front, I was in shock. Then I thought, "the bad news is they don't allow BYOB" so the bill will wind up nearly $1k which is just nuts, considering my daughter is 12. I am not a fan of this and can only imagine the hassle of getting money back if a cancelation happened late in the game due to illness or another valid reason.
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com