The end of wine tasting notes?

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

The end of wine tasting notes?

Post by Roy Hersh »

Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Moses Botbol

Re: The end of wine tasting notes?

Post by Moses Botbol »

Interesting article. I hear the descriptive interpretations like "the ballet dancer" come after several glasses. If it conveys a sense of what the wine is like; how is that any different than "flint & forest floor"? If you understand the essence; all good in the end, no?
Welsh Corgis | F1 |British Cars
Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Post by Roy Hersh »

While I liked the article, I do believe that old fashioned tasting notes still have a place for some of us geeks. That may not be the typical person who reads Wine Spectator, but I think it does work for many on this Forum.

Am I wrong?
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
John M.

Post by John M. »

Nope--I agree.
Any Port in a storm!
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Something that Roy told me once that I have found to be very true is that tasting notes are most helpful when you know and understand the palate of the taster.

So your own tasting notes will always be helpful to you. But mine might not help you at all unless we've consumed a few (or a LOT of) bottles together.

None of the "big name" reviewers are useful to me. I don't know their palates, and don't care to learn them in no small part because I know so many of the palates here on FTLOP. To learn a professional reviewer's palate I'd have to have their TNs handy while tasting a Port so that I could compare notes. Over time I'd start to understand where we agree and where we differ, at which point I'd be able to read one of their TNs from a wine I'd never tasted and have a pretty good idea of whether or not I'd like it.

Or I can just come search the TNdb here and get a far more accurate picture. :)
Glenn Elliott
Brian C.

Post by Brian C. »

Notes can be helpful in a number of ways. If there are descriptors that I don't care for, I know to pass. Some notes can tell me I need to wait on it or drink it now. Some notes convey an inspiration and compel one to seek it out and try it. And yes, I don't connect with some notes because I'm not inside the mind of the writer at all. With some TNs, I do wonder who the audience is meant to be.
John M.

Post by John M. »

Glenn E. wrote:Something that Roy told me once that I have found to be very true is that tasting notes are most helpful when you know and understand the palate of the taster.
I agree whole heartedly. For movies, if Roger Ebert loved it so did I and vice versa. Not 100% but pretty darn close. As to Wine TNs I have no one I feel sympatico with ...within the Port sphere here on this forum it is a completely different story--I have gotten to know so many of you and your tendencies (despite not sharing bottles in person) that the level of help goes beyond the words. Even your scores. I can cite one member who has a high range and one who has a lower range--understanding that I can better gauge where the wine is on my spectrum.
Any Port in a storm!
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

I think tasting notes will continue, and while I could use a little less flowery language that itself is subject to interpretation, I think describing a wine by its chemical constituents isn't going to win out any time soon. If I told you a wine had aromas of acetaldehyde, would you want to drink it? How about green apple? For a crisp white, that might be fine, and it is the same thing.