Work the harvest?

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Eric Menchen

Work the harvest?

Post by Eric Menchen »

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/04/foodanddr ... index.html

Hmmm. I might be willing to pick grapes in the Douro for the right food and wine. Bacalhau wouldn't cut it, but maybe the duck rice and a good Crasto red, and for dessert ... Lodging would be needed too given the remoteness of the Douro quintas compared to Bordeaux.
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Re: Work the harvest?

Post by Andy Velebil »

I've done plenty of picking in years past. Way WAY over that. Tons of back breaking work. I prefer to just drink, LOL

That said, it is a great experience to do it once and experience what it's like to work a harvest.
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

Andy Velebil wrote:I've done plenty of picking in years past. Way WAY over that. Tons of back breaking work. I prefer to just drink, LOL

That said, it is a great experience to do it once and experience what it's like to work a harvest.
I have a pretty good imagination, so I don't think I need to actually experience it to know that it's much harder work than I can do at my age. :lol:

Unless they have spots available in the kitchen... I'd be happy to help cook for the workers! And it would be a lot of fun to learn how to cook Portuguese food. :-)
Glenn Elliott
Bradley Bogdan

Post by Bradley Bogdan »

I found the picking to be mildly enlightening, but the actual sorting/crushing and managing of fermentations to be revelatory. My appreciation for the decisions to "cut corners" or not stick to the highest of high standards in the wine making process are totally informed by watching the sheer amount of grapes that come in at crush and having to sort (or not sort) and start them all fermenting, all while trying to stay organized and clean on a farm, not to mention trying to gauge what fermentation and aging decisions should be made about the wine even before its fully fermented. I recommend everyone who loves high quality wine participate in a crush at a smaller winery for a day or two, your views and opinions will be changed forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
-Brad