1996 Malat Kremstal RheinRiesling TBA

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Eric Ifune

1996 Malat Kremstal RheinRiesling TBA

Post by Eric Ifune »

Bought at the winery in a 375 format. Malat is, IMO, an underrated Kremstal winery in Austria. Very good Riesling and Gruner Veltliner. Even a decent Pinot Noir.
Very dark. Resembles an old, high quality Madeira. Bronze, copper colored with a green, olive oil meniscus. Tons of Botrytis on the nose. Apricots, canned peaches, spicy, citrus. Sweet on the palate, but not syrupy like some TBA's can be. More Botrytis on the palate. Huge acidity which balances and keeps it fresh. Long, citric finish.
Very, very nice. An excellent dessert wine in a hot climate.
Edward J

Re: 1996 Malat Kremstal RheinRiesling TBA

Post by Edward J »

Sounds wonderful. I have not had that blend before. How much longer do you think it would have held on? The last TBA I had was a Rulander from '85 and it was far over the hill. However I still hold out hope for the '81 Ortega that I bought many years ago to open on our 50th anniversary.
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

I don't think some of the new grape crosses will age as well as the classic ones. Scheurebe (also known as Samling 88 in Austria) can age, but many were bred only for high sugar content. Riesling can age a long time. I've had several decades old Gruner Veltliner TBA's which were still good. I haven't had an old Rulander, but it's a classic variety. I might have a back up for the Ortega.
Edward J

Post by Edward J »

Eric Ifune wrote: I might have a back up for the Ortega.
I was thinking the same thing, however it's tough finding a '81 as for the most part, it was not a good year for wines. I suppose a Colheita is about the best I can hope for.
Eric Ifune

Post by Eric Ifune »

I don't think the 1981 will be undrinkable, just unmemorable.