Grammar matters: Affect vs. Effect

For things that don't fit into the other categories.

Moderators: Glenn E., Roy Hersh, Andy Velebil

Roy Hersh
Site Admin

Grammar matters: Affect vs. Effect

Post by Roy Hersh »

On rare occasions I get these two mixed up. I don't think I am alone. If you don't care, then turn the channel. But if you want to understand the intricacies of these similar words, read here. This is the best explanation I have ever seen. As a writer, I keep this bookmarked as it does come up a few times a year for me.

http://grammar.yourdictionary.com/style ... ammar.html
Ambition driven by passion, rather than money, is as strong an elixir as is Port. http://www.fortheloveofport.com
John Trombley

Re: Grammar matters: Affect vs. Effect

Post by John Trombley »

Roy,

My affects concerning this matter will have little effect in the long run on the proper (?) use of American English.

(However this affects you!)

John
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

Oh boy, I'm in trouble. [bye2.gif]
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
John Trombley

Post by John Trombley »

Andy Velebil wrote:Oh boy, I'm in trouble. [bye2.gif]
We all are, Andy. I had as a youngster and an avid reader a sixth sense for correct (quote end of quote) usage. As a person who has gotten older, it seems that everything I learn causes one former learned item to be tossed out in the memory trash can. Oh well......
Brian C.

Post by Brian C. »

This one drives a lot of people nuts:
3. Effect can be used as a verb in one situation - if you want to describe something that was caused.

Example: The new manager effected some positive changes in the office. (This means that the new manager caused some positive changes to take place in the office.)

Read more at http://grammar.yourdictionary.com/style ... 87w3Jth.99
Andy Velebil
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States of America - USA

Post by Andy Velebil »

John Trombley wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:Oh boy, I'm in trouble. [bye2.gif]
We all are, Andy. I had as a youngster and an avid reader a sixth sense for correct (quote end of quote) usage. As a person who has gotten older, it seems that everything I learn causes one former learned item to be tossed out in the memory trash can. Oh well......
I'm right there with you. Someone called me Sam and I thought that was my name for a week. Getting old sucks LOL!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andy Velebil Good wine is a good familiar creature if it be well used. William Shakespeare http://www.fortheloveofport.com
Glenn E.
Location: Sammamish, Washington, United States of America - USA

Post by Glenn E. »

We had a "top 10 grammar mistakes" list when I worked at Wizards of the Coast the first time, and this was one of the items on the list.

Also further vs farther.
Glenn Elliott
John Trombley

Post by John Trombley »

Glenn E. wrote:We had a "top 10 grammar mistakes" list when I worked at Wizards of the Coast the first time, and this was one of the items on the list.

Also further vs farther.
And furthermore, which is farther?
Eric Menchen

Post by Eric Menchen »

Homonyms are words that are similar, but have very different meanings.
Affect and effect have, IMHO, fairly similar meanings, in particular for the verb form. And the noun form of effect is at least related to the verb form of affect. The noun form of affect is also at least related based on this definition from wiktionary:
(psychology) A subjective feeling experienced in response to a thought or other stimulus; mood, emotion, especially as demonstrated in external physical signs.
That definition is consistent with the usage at Roy's link, but the explanation at his link is more scoped, to just the face. My quoted definition and the second example at Roy's link ("The woman took the news of her husband's sudden death with little affect.") suggest the causative nature, which relates to the general idea shared by both words.
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

John Trombley wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:We had a "top 10 grammar mistakes" list when I worked at Wizards of the Coast the first time, and this was one of the items on the list.

Also further vs farther.
Further is abstract. Farther is a measurable distance.
Glenn Elliott
John Trombley

Post by John Trombley »

Glenn E. wrote:
John Trombley wrote:

Also further vs farther.
Further is abstract. Farther is a measurable distance.
Glenn, you put us all to shame, Even we bookworms!
Glenn E.

Post by Glenn E. »

John Trombley wrote:Glenn, you put us all to shame, Even we bookworms!
I wish I could remember the rest of the list! They were all things like affect vs effect and farther vs further. General rules of thumb in most cases, because as with affect vs effect there are exceptions.

There/their/they're wasn't even on the list, because the Editor figured that if you couldn't get past that you didn't deserve to be writing anything for public consumption in the first place. :lol:
Glenn Elliott
John Trombley

Post by John Trombley »

Glenn E. wrote:
John Trombley wrote:Glenn, you put us all to shame, Even we bookworms!
I wish I could remember the rest of the list! They were all things like affect vs effect and farther vs further. General rules of thumb in most cases, because as with affect vs effect there are exceptions.

There/their/they're wasn't even on the list, because the Editor figured that if you couldn't get past that you didn't deserve to be writing anything for public consumption in the first place. :lol:
You give good examples of varietals of usage problems, Glen! I'll have to utilize them in table conversation.